just blew the doors off my taco vault! results

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Between my pve vault, taco vault, and hollowpoint kiss, I have a chance at 3 cyclops red covers this week. In addition to bringing me up to 11 covers for him, more red might also let me beat his 4*ddq node later this summer. So I decided it was worth spending some of my stockpiled resources chasing those vault covers.

I had 282 savory tacos saved up. It took me 96 tacos to get the cyclops cover I wanted (so about 1/3 of my stash and beating the probability curve).

After applying all the 2* and 3* champ covers I can use (but not selling all the remaining unusable cover), my haul included:

- 4* cyclops red
- 1 LT
- 2,100 HP (including the 1k HP)
- 41,000 ISO (including 1 5k reward)
- 4 CP
- 86 healthpacks (more than I wanted, but useful for venom bomb)
- 2 new 2* champs
- about 8 3* champ levels and 10 2* champ levels
- about 40 more 2* and 3* covers to sell.

Overall, I am fairly pleased with these results. I got 2/3 of the 4* level rewards while using about 1/3 of my stash. The healthpacks are a bit wasteful, but my efficiency overall was pretty good. I also still have enough tacos left to mine for health packs when I next start to run out.

My biggest question now is which characters to champ with my iso stash.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    ... I'm about to get to 300 tacos... Can you guess the results of my draw? icon_lol.gif

Actually you can't, because I stop as soon as I get one of the top prizes, such as the LT. icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • Vhailorx
    mpqr7 wrote:
    ... I'm about to get to 300 tacos... Can you guess the results of my draw? icon_lol.gif

Actually you can't, because I stop as soon as I get one of the top prizes, such as the LT. icon_e_ugeek.gif

Is that really the best way to roll with tacos? (not snark, I honestly don't know the right answer). Obviously if there is only 1 thing you want in the vault, then spend tacos till you get it and stop. But if you have spent 200 tacos getting the thing you want, and there are still useful prizes like the 10k iso, or a 4* champ cover, is it worth spending more tacos when your odds for those secondary prizes are better?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's a good question. I just really like having 100% odds that I'll get a good prize. And avoiding getting any extra 2* prizes than necessary.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    once you get to 300 you can pull until your desired target comes, then evaluate whats left vs pulls left and either continue or hold, restock, and go all over again later. its getting to the initial 300 that's tough.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

Is that really the best way to roll with tacos? (not snark, I honestly don't know the right answer). Obviously if there is only 1 thing you want in the vault, then spend tacos till you get it and stop. But if you have spent 200 tacos getting the thing you want, and there are still useful prizes like the 10k iso, or a 4* champ cover, is it worth spending more tacos when your odds for those secondary prizes are better?

This is pretty easy to calculate since the rate at which tacos are earned is a known quantity, if the goal is purely to maximize the value of your pulls. Since you get 10 tacos per vault you divide the vault into 10 parts of 30 each, ranked by quality (i.e. identify the 30 best rewards in the vault and call it the first part), and once you get a pull from the top 30, stop. This is the only strategy that guarantees an above-average pull rate, in the long-term.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

This is pretty easy to calculate since the rate at which tacos are earned is a known quantity, if the goal is purely to maximize the value of your pulls. Since you get 10 tacos per vault you divide the vault into 10 parts of 30 each, ranked by quality (i.e. identify the 30 best rewards in the vault and call it the first part), and once you get a pull from the top 30, stop. This is the only strategy that guarantees an above-average pull rate, in the long-term.

I am not sure if that will work carrion. Not all rewards are of equal value. I would love 10k iso, but I can make up for missing it in a 1-2 days of play. But if i miss a prize 4* cover I may have wait more than 6 months for it to rotate back as a 1k reward. So treating 30 different rewards as interchangeable doesn't seem like a good idea.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish I had the patience to do this, I really do. Truth is, I rarely even make it to saving two Taco tokens until the end of a DDQ, so I've got ZERO chance of holding onto a few hundred icon_e_sad.gif
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I wish I had the patience to do this, I really do. Truth is, I rarely even make it to saving two Taco tokens until the end of a DDQ, so I've got ZERO chance of holding onto a few hundred icon_e_sad.gif
    I used to be the same way, but once you actually start doing it, it gets easier to keep saving them. The first time I tried, I reached the 10 tacos and decided nope, time to pull! Now I'm at 44/40 of each and plan to keep saving. It's not as difficult, especially when I never even open the vault to see what's in it. I made that mistake and saw that I have 2 4Thor blues in the current vault which would mean tasty champ levels for my only 4* champ, but it's much easier to resist temptation to blow through them now.

LTs/CP on the other hand... that stuff to me is like candy to a kid, gone as soon as I have it!

Nice haul Vhailorx! Use it... wisely.
  • Vhailorx

Not really worth it until you are solidly in 4* transition. But once you are, then there are really only a few truly tempting rewards. And specific 4* covers are hard enough to get that saving tacos becomes a real value.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

I am not sure if that will work carrion. Not all rewards are of equal value. I would love 10k iso, but I can make up for missing it in a 1-2 days of play. But if i miss a prize 4* cover I may have wait more than 6 months for it to rotate back as a 1k reward. So treating 30 different rewards as interchangeable doesn't seem like a good idea.

Well, like I said, this only works if your goal is to maximize long-term value. There are other viable strategies, like maximizing health pack efficiency, or maximizing odds of getting specific 4* covers (which is what the OP is doing).
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd rather have the iso today.