Random game mode

DeNappa
DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
There's probably been some ideas like this in the past, but here goes anyway. Just wanted to put this out there.

I was thinking of a new 'Random' game mode recently. A mode that exists outside of current PVE scaling and allows for a better use of undercovered and/or underleveled characters.

Basically, what I envision is this:
  • A game with (for example) 3 nodes
  • Each node represents a difficulty: easy, normal, hard. ('Hard' could be a wave node, or make that random too. Or all is waves on weekends! icon_mrgreen.gif ).
  • Each node has X rewards. After that you can still play them but just for fun or experimenting.
  • Rewards are tiered with difficulty and replenish each [day|week].
  • You can not see the node specifics except for the rewards...
  • ... because each time you start a node the opponents are 'truly' randomized.
That means a team of random opponents is generated based on the strength of your selected team and the difficulty 'multiplier', as it were.

So, wanna take your level 2/3/0 Ghost Rider for a spin with your 3/1/5 Squirrel Girl and 2/2/2 Miles? Here, pit them against this 1/1/2 Rulk, 3/3/1 Iceman, and 4/4/3 3Clops! Or against 5/3/5 Blade, 2/5/4 Gamora, 3/2/1 Starlord! Just to name a few.

I realize that the biggest difficulty in something like this will be getting the tuning algorithm right... A lot of things must be considered, including the total amount of your selected team's levels and covers, where levels and/or covers for higher tiered characters factor in more strongly than for lower tiers. Then again, I don't see any immediate solution against, e.g., just bringing your 0/1/0 OML with Yelena and Hawkeye (to get the difficulty down) and match dmg your way through. But if the rewards are limited, there shouldnt really be a need anyway.

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    A bug part of the strategy of the game is tied up in choosing the right team for the job. Unpredictability doesn't really promote playing with wacky or under leveled teams, unless you mean your team is also randomized.

Actually in that case I could get behind the idea as a true sandbox mode.