pve vaults; when is it worth spending HP?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So my venom bomb vault rng'd its way into relevance.

In addition to the kate bishop cover, it had a cyclops red and an iceman purple. Both are extremely critical covers for my 4* transition (the cyclops red cover in particular; it would be my tenth and might let me beat his ddq).

I had planned to skip venom bomb entitely, but will now at least grind my way to some event tokens. I will probably also go for the daily 100HP tokens. Is it worth spending any more cash? (i have enough HP for a 10pack, but that doesnt seem like enough to give me a real chance at the covers I want, and I would then be at risk for my next few roster slots)

When do you start dropping real cash on the vaults? (and same question for the ddq vaults, is 1 champ and 1 good new 4* cover to waste several hundred tacos? Or is it better to hold out for 2 premium 4* covers?)

Comments

• san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I never do real cash on the vaults, but I will use 100HP every now and then on a decent vault, if I'm over 1000HP (emergency slot stash).
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I've found myself in your situation many times. I usually buy every daily sale, and only after I don't land the covers I want, then I'll drop for a 40-pack.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    In your position, I'd spend current HP up until I risked not being able to roster one new character. Cash-wise, I don't partake anymore. I sprang for the big HP one while there was a 30% bonus over Christmas and used that to buffer my rostering ability (and waste a bunch on packs that didn't help). If you've got the cash and nothing else to do with it, this sounds like a good time - but not as good as sitting on it and waiting until there's a bonus sale to hoard up and stabilize.

The dailies are totally worth it, IMO. Over the run of an event adding those to daily placement tokens gives you a decent shot at a worthwhile prize. I'm considering skipping Venom Bomb entirely, but I'm still spending on the daily deal.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would buy dailies in that vault. My own follows Miss Bish with icon_starlord.pngpurpleflag.png and icon_invisiblewoman.pngblueflag.png

Thinking I'll save my HP this time around...
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    I generally always buy the daily 100HP reward - I have 117 roster slots (8 empty) & approx 4k HP.

I play enough that gaining 700 HP in a week is doable so stay fairly static.

Seems too long term to start hoarding HP against the need for roster slots in the future
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the best value is a 7 day vault. If I hit the token each day, and buy a daily token, and get tokens from progression, there's a pretty good shot at getting something nice. And yet, those 4*s are just two out of 80 outcomes you want. So I am personally refraining until I save more HP, and try to roster more 4 and 5's.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you get a good EotS vault, and have the disposable hp, and have all the 3*s maxed, and have 2 useful 4* covers, that is when I'd pull that trigger. 3 and 4 day events (to me) don't give near as many tokens and you'll be a bit shorter of clearing things out. but...its all rng based, so you never know - that's how they get ya. I'd do the daily deal and open my tokens and at the end, see what's left and what the odds are you might end up with what you really want.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do the 100 HP daily deal almost every day for vaults. My HP game be like icon_cool.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do the Daily deal single token when there's at least two fourstar covers in the vault that I need, preferably for fourstars that are not yet fully covered. In my Venombomb vault I have one Hawkeye and two Spider-Gwens, so right now I am buying. Looking forward to Enemy of the State later this week with its deluge of tokens.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    if you get a good EotS vault, and have the disposable hp, and have all the 3*s maxed, and have 2 useful 4* covers, that is when I'd pull that trigger. 3 and 4 day events (to me) don't give near as many tokens and you'll be a bit shorter of clearing things out. but...its all rng based, so you never know - that's how they get ya. I'd do the daily deal and open my tokens and at the end, see what's left and what the odds are you might end up with what you really want.
    I agree that 7 day events are the best in respect of amount of tokens earned. I have even hoarded 16 tokens from last EotS so together with new ones and daily deals I should have quite big chances for good prizes. Of course if the vault will be lucky and there will be no new release on this event icon_e_wink.gif

So even I have good Venom Bomb vault, I'm keeping HP for EotS.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    My advice is not to look at the chance of getting something you want, but looking at the chance of NOT getting what you want. People tend to think they'll win the odds, so put it in your favor of winning useless stuff.

So for example, if you've used 10 tokens, the chance of not getting those two four stars is 68/70, or a 97% chance of NOT getting a four star for the next token pull. Vaults are illusions to tempt you to gamble. Never forget in gambling, the house always wins.
  • BlackSheep101
    Yeah, but what else are we going to spend our HP on?
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    NEVER.......Vault it's not fair.
    Last PVE I picked up 4 (four) miss Marvel 2* and usually I got mostly 2* and rarely 250hp or 5 health packs or even 1500 iso....but nothing more.. icon_mad.gif

So it's not worth spending HP
  • BlackSheep101
    Standard event vaults don't contain health packs, or iso/hp prizes.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Standard event vaults don't contain health packs, or iso/hp prizes.

Yes, but Taco vaults have them..... I was speaking about all the Vault System.
    Got only 2* from event vaults and rarely hp iso and health packs from taco vaults, so I don't change my advice:
    Vault prizes are not random so isn't worth spending HP on them.

P.S.: Thank you OJSP icon_e_wink.gif
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's all luck, for a while I was getting the four star rewards using the daily deal, lately nothing but two stars from any event token or daily deal. It's gambling at its finest.
  • Dudemon
    Dudemon Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Wait... you can save tokens until an event rolls around again?

And the old tokens will work in the new vault?

How long have I played this game?

Dudemon
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Dudemon wrote:
    Wait... you can save tokens until an event rolls around again?

And the old tokens will work in the new vault?

How long have I played this game?

Dudemon
    Yes, you can.
    I have just opened 16 hoarded EotS tokens (got LT and 7x 3* covers) icon_e_wink.gif