Miles still able to use surprise after tile is matched away

JD Geek
JD Geek Posts: 80
Pretty much what it says. I matched away his tile, removing his invisibility. Next turn he surprised me for damage even though he was no longer invisible.

Comments

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, at least the power is fair to its description. The description doesn't state that the power will be 'Surprise!' only while Miles is invisible, just that once you cast 'Hile & "Seek' the power will become 'Surprise!'.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obviously, this power would be better if it read, "While Miles is invisible, this power becomes surprise." And Surprise would have to state, "Using this power makes Miles visible, changing any invisibility tile targeting him to a basic tile." D3 probably didn't want this to combo with Grant Invisibility I guess? Stupid reason to not have it work that way. The power would still be more difficult to use if it required him to be invisible for it to be Surprise.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is working as designed and described, it's just not what people expected based on previous powers that change function.
  • JD Geek
    JD Geek Posts: 80
    DayvBang wrote:
    This is working as designed and described, it's just not what people expected based on previous powers that change function.

Ah. Just a confusing set up then. It makes no sense logically, but it is how it reads.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    It's always been this way since he was released. Logically, it doesn't really make sense, I know. (How could he surprise someone if he's not invisible anymore?)

Hmm, it sorda reminds me of the Spy class in Team Fortress 2. The character has a cloaking device that turns him invisible for a short amount of time. It's usually enough to get to safety or set up a one-hit-kill backstab.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    JD Geek wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

Ah. Just a confusing set up then. It makes no sense logically, but it is how it reads.

I figure Miles isn't invisible anymore but he's been able to position himself well enough for a web swing from behind even if the bad guys know where he is now.

Balance-wise, it's probably more that having to spend the AP twice in order to get damage out of the move is bad enough without also needing to protect a tile or be forced to start over.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Balance-wise, it's probably more that having to spend the AP twice in order to get damage out of the move is bad enough without also needing to protect a tile or be forced to start over.
    That could go either way, though. Take a look at Iceman's blue. He can be run purely for stuns, if you want, so long as you match away his countdown or wait for it to expire before firing blue again. Miles, on the other hand, will always alternate between invisibility and damage. This makes it nearly impossible for him to play the kind of "I'm just going to stay invisible forever" game that some characters can pull off (see: Professor X), but it also means that he's never going to run into the Iceman or Ant-Man situation where you might actually intend to use the damaging form of the power, but your required tile gets destroyed before you have a chance.

Better, worse, probably arguable for different cases (though I suspect most would agree Iceman's blue is better than Miles' purple), but definitely and deliberately different designs.