4* levelling

Options
Whosaninja
Whosaninja Posts: 49
edited June 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Hi
I now have a number of 4*'s that with 8+ covers. I was wondering if anyone can advise what a good leveling strategy is. Do I put them all to ~130 so that when boosted they match my 3*s and don't mess up my scaling, or do I bring them up to ~166 or max available when I can?

I have 140k ISO at the moment, so will also need to decide soon whether to start redirecting ISO to 4*s rather than continuing to championing 3*s

Cheers
Whosaninja

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd consider Championing GSBW, and bringing Prof X up to around 140. Of you haven't already used it, those pair with Scarlet Witch is just fantastic.
    After that, maybe being the 4* up to where you can win their Crash token (have a look at Peter Gibbons stategy guide to figure out how much you want to level them) and save the iso until you get some of the stars with max covers/maxed top powers (5 in Hulkbuster Red for example)
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree with CT's suggestion. Getting all the 4*s you can up to a winnable level for their DPD challenges will help those tokens roll in. But if you're set on bumping up what you have Hulkbuster is the go-to. Yours is 1 red away from being usable, and 2 black away from being killer. There's a reason why you see so many Iron Fist/Hulkbuster pairings in PVP. I have a fully leveled Antman and have no regrets there. He's deceptively power and his pink or blue can deal 10k at max level when fired a second time. But yeah, Buster now, Jean, Iceman, or Cyke should be next, but if you don't have the covers Ants is surprisingly good.
  • Whosaninja
    Options
    Thanks both. I have a load of Vision covers (after opening a load of tacos) so tempted to Champion him first, but will look to try the Witch, GSBW, Prof X combo.

In terms of leveling, will bring them up to winnable levels for DPD. But after that, if fully covered (with the right covers), what level do I bring them up to? Or do I just take them as high as I can?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    witch and gsbw can be taken as high as you wish. I'd keep px behind them. my gsbw and witch are nearly 190 and my px is still 145. haven't had any reason to put extra iso into him. although that is on my list to do. behind everything else. if you level him close to gsbw and witch, pay very close attn. to his blue match damage and their purple match damage. make sure his blue is less.
  • Whosaninja
    Options
    Have been using Witch, ProfX, and BWGS. Once it is up and running it is amazing.

Regarding something like Hulkbuster and other high covered 4*s, should they be brought up to ~170 (in line with my 3*s so not to affect scaling) or should I just max them out when I can?

Cheers
    Whosaninja
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You are going to want to max the likes of Hulkbuster when you can, so spending the iso now to bring them up to 170/180 is going to be fine. You've got a lot of 5*s, so I wouldn't worry about scaling.

You want to focus on the top 4*s for taking to 270 - taking Nick Fury up by himself is widely thought of as a bad idea, as your iso would be better spent elsewhere. If you got 13 covers in Hulkbuster, it'd be worth taking him up, even with no other 4*s champiomed. Whether Deadpool is worth taking up solo, you'd need to ask other people. (he is next in line for me, to be my fourth champion four star)
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Those 4*s aren't going to impact your scaling at all unless that 4* gets boosted for the week since you have five 5* characters. When a 4* like Hulkbuster, Thor, or other high tier characters are boosted, the scaling difference won't cause you any negative impact anyway because the power difference from 270 to 350 is dramatic. Thor leaps from 4k + 700 per charged tile to 7k + 1.2k per charged tile with 5 covers on her red.

I have a roster fairly similar to yours with Goblin, IM46, Phoenix, SS, and BSSM, and I championed 4Thor as soon as I had her covers. Didn't regret it once then, still don't now, and when she's boosted to 351, she annihilates PvE nodes and gets me through to 1k in PvP with very minimal health pack use.

Whether you want to level them evenly or try to bring the characters with their upcoming 4*DDQ up while max leveling others is really your call. My point is - don't let scaling worries get in the way when you already are holding five 5*s because a 270 4* isn't going to change your scaling at all. Those are your characters that the "old" scaling system counts when it considers your top leveled characters, and the "new" scaling system also supposedly takes their number of covers into consideration.

If the current scaling considers (255 * 5)/5 for your average level for scaling, you're at 255. If you add a 270 into the mix, you're at (255 * 4 + 270)/5 = 258... level them with no concern other than the mountain of ISO you'll need!
  • Whosaninja
    Options
    Thanks all, advice all well received.

I will continue my ISO grind