Of the 4* characters of 2016, who will you use?

Konman
Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Lots of new characters in 4*ville. Drax, War Machine, H4wkeye, PunMax, Nova, Quake, SpiderGwen, Winter Soldier...not counting Howard the Duck.

Once covered and leveled, do you think any of these replace a current go to character? Obviously if you've gotten into playing 5* characters, you probably won't bat an eye toward any 4* unless you are forced. But if you normally use 4* characters in your typical play, would you select any of the above as a new member of your "Its Business Time" team?

Unless something major changes in the game, I will never have these characters covered enough to make them usable, and a couple, I don't think I particularly want the covers anyway.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    I can see Quake & Nova being really useful when I get them covered.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Nova for sure. I feel like Quake, War Machine, and probably Bucky will get some love too. Kate, Gwen, and Pun Max seem like they'll be decent, but only for specific situations. Still unsure on Drax overall.

The problem is of course, will I ever get the covers? My Nova is 0/0/1. Just the one cover I won in his debut. Meanwhile, old Pun Max is 5/1/4. RNGesus really wants me to have Punisher.

The only way my 3* got in any kind of shape was DDQ and that daily set cover. I'm really hoping they do something similar for 4*s soon. Complete randomness is no way to build a roster.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nova, quake, and pun-max are generally thought to be very strong by those whales who have them covered already. My nova is only 4/0/3 so far, and i already enjoy using him.

Quake + xpool is also an awesome combo. Maybe even better than xpool + xfw. Add in im40 as battery and it's a perfect pve team. And she destroys jg.

Pun-max takes a bit more planning, but his damage doesn't cap and there are lots of characters who generate cheap strike tiles. Very high damage ouput.

Peraonally, I think winter soldier may be a very useful support character (best ap theft in 4* land), but he won't be too tier.

The others are fairly uninspired.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    RoboDuck wrote:
    I can see Quake & Nova being really useful when I get them covered.

When they're covered is the big question. I have 10 covers for each, so it still could be a while. Not to mention the 350k ISO needed to max them out.

I'm probably leaning more towards Quake as a Rulk/JG stopper, but only when boosted.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a champion Nova, he's pretty fun to play. Working on the others...
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    I recently managed to champ Nova, Quake and Punisher. All three are very fun characters who brought some variety to my usual teams based on top5 4*.

Nova pairs really well with Punisher, pretty satisfying team for both PVE and PVP. I'm experimenting with the 3rd char to get the most synergy out of this. Many purple users (the last colour to complete the rainbow there) can produce strike tiles cheaply: Fist, Blade, Bullseye, Daken (even though his purple is passive). Great for survival nodes too, once you build up the momentum they're unstoppable.

Quake works best in PVE against Kishu or Muscles. I'm gonna try her out against symbiotes and Carnage in Venom Bomb too, that might make those Scythes hurt a lot less. She fits perfectly in DP/Wolvie X-Force team (a 4* alternative to Cascade Kings?). In PVP she has her uses too - Rulk and Jean are completely shut down by her.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    RNG willing, I won't use any of them except when they are essential in PVE or up in their DDQ rotation.

It's a 5* world, and even the best champed 4*'s aren't worth a hill of beans in that world.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2016
    Quake and Nova, i use them at every opportunity, especially PVE, Quakes yellow is my favorite passive in the game cause of how amazingly useful it is against AOE's(315 ares rampage did 1 damage with her) and Nova's extremely fast and all his powers just gel together so damn well.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quake, Nova, Pun, and possible winter soldier. The only one I don't have 11 covers of is WS. It will really depend on how many 5* I start pulling with the increased odds and if I can get a second decently covered 5* I will be leveling 5* going forward.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quake, Nova and Big Pun, which seems to be the popular choice.

Quake and Punisher are both 4/4/4 so one more cover of any color and I can start pumping them up. Nova's stuck at 5/1/5 so I have to pray for yellows. icon_e_confused.gif
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    None of them, until about 2019 or so, unless the flow of covers loosens some. I have two covers each in War Machine and Punisher, and I'd love to build Quake and Bucky (1 cover each).

But, y'know...
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Quake definitely. Her passive will make her very useful for many situations especially in PvE (caltrops anyone?).

Apart from that I'm a fan of Pun-neck-sher because I like the Max comics, and he's not a bad character in the game either. The other ones I'm not feeling particularly excited about, although I may change my mind once I get them well-covered and get to try them out more. Apparently Nova is quite good.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got lucky with Nova covers and champed him last season. He's absolutely my new favourite. With him being buffed this week, I'm just running him with a 355 HB and Phoenix to make red. Made my last full clear of sim using only one health pack.

Saving iso for Pun now. He's pretty strong already at 155, and seems like he will have some synergy with Nova.

Not sure about Quake but she'll definitely come in useful in EotS and Venom Bomb.

Not enough covers for Drax, War Machine and Winter Soldier, not enough iso for Miles and Gwen though I also hope I can champ them at some point. I want to like Venom but his black makes him pretty unusable.

Howard I might dust off in a non-new release pve sometimes just cos his animations are funny. icon_e_sad.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    Quake, Nova and Big Pun, which seems to be the popular choice.

Quake and Punisher are both 4/4/4 so one more cover of any color and I can start pumping them up. Nova's stuck at 5/1/5 so I have to pray for yellows. icon_e_confused.gif

Nova is usable. Pump him up and run with IM40 since Nova won't use yellow. Get 8 black and 6 yellow, wait, send 2 people flying. Or 3, if you can pick up an extra 6 red. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I've got champed:

XFW
    Thor
    PX
    Carnage
    Rhulk

What I've got at 13 covers (but not at max level)

Kingpin
    Fury
    IW

I've just finished champing Rhulk and I've got Quake at 12 covers (thanks Civil War), so I'll start putting ISO into her to get her ready to max once that last cover comes in. Her powers are more skewed towards PvE rather than PvP, so I'm not sure how much I'll end up using her.

I'd be happy to get more covers for Nova, Punisher, Winter Soldier, or War Machine, since I think they all have interesting powers and I'd like a chance to really see them in action.
  • Fratriarch
    Fratriarch Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    The duck is a literal beast in boss fights.

I've only used nova in combo with x-23 so far, amd I can already see just how useful he is (2/1/2)

My drax keeps getting covers, so my best guess is that he will be a go to because of convenience.
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    Im a long way to 4* but also around the corner only have 1 3* champed which is cyke but after this months ddq and sim rewards ill have 5 3*'s that needs to get maxed hulk which is already 13 covers so is first patch gamora thor are at 12 now and punisher is 11 ddq and sim will put him 13

So who will i use? what ever gets covers or featured

Who am i most excited for? Punisher spider gwen and winter solder quake

Who do i like? Drax but he dosent look that awesome

Who do i want as my first chaped 4* if it's not a old one probally punisher but only 1 cover

Who do i want really red hulk carnage or x23 but 0/0/0. 1/0/0. 1/0/1 respectively

Right now the thing gets the most use being 1/3/1 and a tank for oml and 3 cyke when i saw he was req and knew he would be a vault featured i thought about buying a 40 pack but saw yellow really wanted red or green instead of a 4th yellow so i passed.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm amused that out of that list Howard the Duck is the one I have the most covered.
    Quake (1/1/2)
    Nova (1/1/0)
    Kate Bishop(0/0/0)
    Winter Soldier (0/0/0)
    look the most interesting to me, though it obviously will be a while (if ever) before I get a chance to use them frequently.