Bizarro Tezzeret

Options
Gun Bunny
Gun Bunny Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
Nothing like going against the grain to find new and interesting strategies.

Creatures:

Soul blade Djinn
Ringwarden Owl
Whirler Rogue
Aspiring Aeronaut

Spells:

Artificer's Epiphany
Anchor to the Æther
Foundry of the Consuls
Adverse Conditions
Turn to Frog

Support:

Pyromancer's Goggles

Basic lockdown/speed bump tactics until you get the PW mana to use transmute, put your goggles on and get the spell train chugging along to steamroll your opponent.

I will sub in thopter spy network when I get it, likely switching with the owl.

Thoughts?

Comments

• zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have thought about this "Bizzaro" idea where you use no supports except the one you want to tutor out. If I had Chandra's Goggles, I would try this. My support choices aren't busted enough haha.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been playing Tezzeret with Thopter Spy Network, and your idea is exactly the sort of thing I'd been considering. One problem with Thopter Spy Network is that you kind of have to build your deck around Thopter Spy Network.

Since he was Nerfed, I'm not using Jace's abilities much. Often times I'll notice that he's at 30 loyalty. With Tezzeret, you have higher life, better mana production.

So, I was considering building a Tezzeret deck where the only support in my deck is Pyromancer's Goggles. However, I don't have Pyromancer's Goggles on the device where I have Tezzeret, and I don't intend to get Tezzeret on the device where I have Pyromancer's Goggles.

However, I like the idea of a Tezzeret deck with only one support in it, and once in a while using his 2nd ability to put it directly into play. In addition to Pyromancer's Goggles, other candidates include Orbs of Warding, Jace's Sanctum, Mage-Ring Network, Sword of the Animist, Prism Array, Sphinx's Tutelage, Shrine of the Forsaken Gods.
  • Gun Bunny
    Gun Bunny Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I tried it running Hedron archive alongside, but it got cumbersome fast. Currently testing Ugin's insight replacing artificer's Epiphany.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The main problem with building a deck around googles is that you need valid spells to be fetch.
    That usually mean high cost spells.
    If those spells are what you would play even for their mana cost ok, else you risk getting your hand full with unusable cards.

I use google in my nissa deck but there even if that result in a slow start I can get back in with nissa renewal getting back life and board presence/removal(since the other spell I run is scour).
    It also has the additional benefit of being easily triggered by nissa gem creation(and of course nissa renewal in itself is a guaranteed single or multi proc).

If you play a "normal" jace deck as tezzeret with just the addition of googles then it is kinda ok but nothing exceptional probably.
    If I get in the mood I will try something but I need at least the new cards to be available. 16 packs waiting right now
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You wouldn't need high cost spells. Turn to Frog and Scour from Existence would be sufficient.