Using non optimal covers to raise levels

Options
Yoxgix
Yoxgix Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
edited March 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I have 3 points in all 3 of OBW skills and have her maxed out on levels and I have 1 Aggressive Recon cover. Should I use it to allow me to raise her level for now til I get the covers to eventually get to the optimum 3/5/5 build? I have done so with Thor but her choice is much harder for me due to the AP raise the 4th cover gives.

Comments

• As useful as OBW is, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and level her up as much as you can as soon as you can, with the idea to respec her later. With this specific example, it's going to depend a little on how you use her - this will make her AP stealing more expensive (assuming you're going above level 3) and that might make her less useful to you. If the point is to get her leveled up ASAP - especially if you're mainly using her as a healer, and are just low in black - this will make her a more effective healer by allowing her to level up more. If you're mainly using her to steal AP, it's a tougher call.
  • I have the same sort of problem with my Punisher right now. He's at 3/2/4, and I would like to have him at 3/5/5 - however, I'm not too far off winning the black Punisher reward in the current event. He's sitting at level 89 (maxed at that) and is also my highest character right now. It's a tough choice, really.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    I have the same sort of problem with my Punisher right now. He's at 3/2/4, and I would like to have him at 3/5/5 - however, I'm not too far off winning the black Punisher reward in the current event. He's sitting at level 89 (maxed at that) and is also my highest character right now. It's a tough choice, really.

Theres no reason not to use that cover now that respecs/cover selling rates have changed since Punisher's black only gets better: the 500iso you miss out on doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, and increasing his level cap is probably very relevant. OP's problem is tougher since 4 purple OBW is arguably worse than 3 purple, which is why he has a dilemma.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    I have the same sort of problem with my Punisher right now. He's at 3/2/4, and I would like to have him at 3/5/5 - however, I'm not too far off winning the black Punisher reward in the current event. He's sitting at level 89 (maxed at that) and is also my highest character right now. It's a tough choice, really.

Theres no reason not to use that cover now that respecs/cover selling rates have changed since Punisher's black only gets better: the 500iso you miss out on doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, and increasing his level cap is probably very relevant. OP's problem is tougher since 4 purple OBW is arguably worse than 3 purple, which is why he has a dilemma.

Hmmm. That's true. Thank you.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I ran into this exact issue. My widow was 3/5/3 and I really wanted 2 more black covers but I got a purple. I decided to take it because of the extra health I get with each heal (after leveling her from 69 to 77). It was great for the pve but purple was used less often in pvp. I really suggest not doing 2 purples but if you already have the iso to level her, its still worth it. Now I have a 4/5/4 widow and although I'm waiting for my last black cover, I dont regret having her at 85.
  • dearbluey wrote:

My Punisher is similar covered, but I only have him at lvl 41 (been leveling elsewhere, still getting a good 2* team together). Between event prizes and pulls, I've gotten 7 Punisher black covers. I sold 3x back when 3* covers were worth 25 HP. I would train him with the most recent black cover from Hulk PVE, but his cap is currently 109, so I think I'd rather just have the 500 ISO.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally, I'd use the Punisher black covers instead of tossing them, especially if it lets you level him up more. Before respec was in place, I went 5 in black on Punisher because while I got plenty of black and green covers for him, I rarely saw any red covers. I was at 5-5-2 for a long time and finally got his third red during the Hulk event. I like his build right now, I've gotten used to it, and I honestly don't know if I will respec him when another red cover comes along.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Yoxgix wrote:
    I have 3 points in all 3 of OBW skills and have her maxed out on levels and I have 1 Aggressive Recon cover. Should I use it to allow me to raise her level for now til I get the covers to eventually get to the optimum 3/5/5 build? I have done so with Thor but her choice is much harder for me due to the AP raise the 4th cover gives.
    I was in this exact position 2 days ago: 3/3/3 OBW, and pulled a purple cover. I opted to dump the cover, since I didn't want to wait till I got four more covers to respec purple back down to 3. I've gotten 1 black cover since then.
  • With respec, the worst that can really happen is that you're spending a few more covers to get your character where you want, instead of getting the iso for selling them (or dealing with the few cases where a higher power level has costs that make it less appealing). The chance to level your characters up earlier will tend to outweigh that.
  • Dayraven wrote:
    With respec, the worst that can really happen is that you're spending a few more covers to get your character where you want, instead of getting the iso for selling them (or dealing with the few cases where a higher power level has costs that make it less appealing). The chance to level your characters up earlier will tend to outweigh that.
    I'd be careful with OBW though, some consider purple 4 inferior to purple 3. Respec only applies once you are at 13 covers, so you might get stuck with a trait you don't want for quite a while.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I'd throw it out, level 4 recon is worse than both level 3 and 5 at the same time, not many skills in the game pull this off.
  • dearbluey wrote:

You can also have same dilemma with Iron Man 3* and his yellow cover icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes add sub-optimal covers, you can change later obviously. The only issue you have is if the addition of a cover makes the character worse, which use to be the case with some guys. Look at Venom, even now, do you really want that 5th in purple? But in short, no add the covers, get them leveled up and switch later.
  • locked wrote:
    I'd throw it out, level 4 recon is worse than both level 3 and 5 at the same time, not many skills in the game pull this off.
    Venom's purple icon_razz.gif
  • I would use a non-optimal cover, but I would not use a cover that makes the character worse. Especially if it is a frequently used character, it may end up hampering you for a long time if you don't pull the right covers. Dump it.
  • Agreed. With respecs available now I've used covers to increase the yellow ability on my Black Panther to 5 despite having no intention of keeping it that way but because I wanted to increase his level cap. For BP that doesnt change his effectiveness or the way I'm going to use him so has no impact.

For OBW its a different kettle of fish and unless your one of the people who advocates going above 3 in her purple then your probably better off with the 250 ISO for selling the cover if you use her alot. The extra mana cost can have a big impact on her usefulness to you unless its a spec you are used to or plan on getting used to.