A PvE fix: Casual option

wirius
wirius Posts: 667
Hello D3, you really have done a great job on the game over the last year. I believe though that you can introduce a slight change to help retain players who need a break from the high competition and PvE grind.

Casual PvE mode.

I think its safe to say the reason for repeated clears in PvE is due to competition. You have to have a basis for "the best", and grinding plus scaling are a means to combat this. So give the option for players to pick "casual mode" for an event that removes them from the competition entirely.

Rule: There are no placement rewards. Progression rewards (Except perhaps covers) are cut in half, and the number of points needed to obtain max progression rewards are cut in half as well. The CP rewarded at the last progression point would be 12cp.

The why:

1. People get burnt out of competition, but still want to play
2. People who do casual mode would be people who would not spend money during competitive events
3. People who take a break from competitive can come back the next event
4. Progress can still be made, though at a much slower rate than competitive players.

You can keep scaling the way you have it too. This gives a person a choice, which empowers them in game. Give your players the option of a less productive but less grindy out, and many will take it happily. These happier players will still have PvP's to join, and may want to rejoin regular PvE events at intervals. Your top 100 alliances will still be competing and spending money, while your tired non-competitive players won't want to quit.

Comments

• wirius
    So many views and not a single reply. Maybe I overestimated the communities desire for casual play.
  • Trelocke
    Trelocke Posts: 8
    I think you don't understand "casual". What you described isn't casual, it's just Competition Lite. As it stands right now, you could do one play through of an event plus a small grind and basically end up with the event rewards up through the first 3* cover. That's pretty much the definition of casual right there. What you're proposing can pretty much already be done by just playing the current events casually.

You're basically saying, "I want my CP still, but I don't want to have to grind for it." I understand the sentiment, but that's not how they want CP to be given out. You either work hard for it or you spend money.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    only way we would see a causal option is what the antman was

5 1 time nodes and the 6th you got the cover... i could see this working for people who just want the cover so they can play in the next pve.
  • wirius
    Trelocke wrote:
    I think you don't understand "casual". What you described isn't casual, it's just Competition Lite. As it stands right now, you could do one play through of an event plus a small grind and basically end up with the event rewards up through the first 3* cover. That's pretty much the definition of casual right there. What you're proposing can pretty much already be done by just playing the current events casually.

You're basically saying, "I want my CP still, but I don't want to have to grind for it." I understand the sentiment, but that's not how they want CP to be given out. You either work hard for it or you spend money.

Hm, maybe you misunderstood what I posted. There is zero competition. There are not placement, only progression rewards. Further, all progression rewards are cut in half. Meaning for the same amount of grind over two entire PvE's, I would earn what you earned, minus the progression rewards, of one pve.

And no, what I'm proposing cannot be done as it is now. Its mathmatically, litterally, half of the grind.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    A much simpler solution would be for them to just make it so the progression rewards for PvE don't reset from event to event until you finish.

i.e. If you go through one event and only get 10k points then your progression board for the next event will be replaced with your old one, and you can still farm the 25 cp award for however long it takes to get it. Then once you do, the current progression board comes back and you can start again.

That way there's no tiering of rewards at all. Everyone gets exactly as much of a return as their level of commitment dictates.
  • wirius
    A much simpler solution would be for them to just make it so the progression rewards for PvE don't reset from event to event until you finish.

i.e. If you go through one event and only get 10k points then your progression board for the next event will be replaced with your old one, and you can still farm the 25 cp award for however long it takes to get it. Then once you do, the current progression board comes back and you can start again.

That way there's no tiering of rewards at all. Everyone gets exactly as much of a return as their level of commitment dictates.

I don't think the game is wired to do that. When I propose solutions, I try to keep it as close to the current game engine and goals as much as possible. Duplicating the event and tweaking the rewards is a "slice". You're not changing the event, or how you keep track of how well a player does. If anything, there's less server traffic (maybe) because there is no need for player comparison.

Still, it floors me how little support this has. I guess the majority of players just want to win competitively. I don't care in PvE. I like collecting the characters, blending their abilities when boosted and having fun with the combos through the events. But I hate GRINDING. I don't want to repeat the SAME event slice, what, 4 times? That's insane. Its like running level one of Super mario brothers 4 times. Why?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I agree with you, but it's not about your idea lacking support. It's about there already being 500 threads like this. "Please tweak the game to make it less grindy" is almost all anyone ever says. They have a list of ideas for doing that as long as my intestines.