Kiora Deck Builds

ROYGBV00
ROYGBV00 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
As I didn't see a Kiora thread, I guess I'll start one! Kiora is indeed powerful and there's so many different and fun ways to play her, but lately I've been playing with a deck inspired by a poster who happened to notice Kiora's awesome might! icon_e_biggrin.gif

As far as abilities go, I've used "Crashing Waves" almost 100% of the time. The rare occasions where I have enough for "Swirling Waters" is when I use it, but primarily Mana denial is great, and pumping your Mana is even better and more efficient, considering we are using cheap draw spells to continue the card-draw combo chain!

Here's my (very) fast Kiora draw deck. The premise behind it is to set up the two creatures in the deck to fully take advantage of spell activation buffs...and yes, you guessed it! It's "Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper (rare)", and "Managorger Hydra"!

Initially if you draw either card, that's good! If not, use the draw spells, and especially "Seek the Wilds" to find them faster and start the fun! The cheap draw spells are obviously there to activate their card abilities. The combo chains get really silly after a while, and it's normal to get +30 on Noyan Dar after a couple turns and lucky cascades.

"Mantle of Webs" is for defense and to mow down any attackers. Attach it to Noyan Dar, and the bonus is actually +4/+6 (instead of +1/+3) with ND's ability also triggering.

The weakness of this deck comes in the form of Blue, White, and Black. Black has great creature removal cards; Blue and White can lock you down with Disable activations or support cards.

As of now, I don't enough use of "Scout from Existence", so the metagame is definitely in your favor!

Enough talk! Here it is:

Noyan Gar, Roil Shaper
Managorger Hydra

Mantle of Webs
Talent of the Telepath
Artificer's Epiphany
Stratus Walk
Coastal Discovery
Seek the Wilds
Anticipate
Evolving Wilds

Hopefully people will begin sharing their decks! icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    Kiora is really far away for many ppl.
    Anyways I think I would do something similar with a couple changes:

- Evo wilds. You have no gem modification so chances you get the benefit are very low. The fact it buffs the creatures is not enough(and you can put another spell if you really want to)

- coastal discovery. Awaken spells cannot be set to "charge only the non awaken portion". So most of the time you waste mana for the awaken cost even if you do not cast the awaken version of the spell. Could have better value with day undoing.

- anticipate. I do not like it overall. With more filters/draw another filter that adds 4 mana to the total cast cost is not needed. Yes is one more spell for buffs but again.... Better get something useful together with that buff.

+ day undoing. Every blue deck with cheap spells gets huge benefit from this spell. There is also the added benefit of screwing opponents hand.

+ any removal you like. Be it bounce or kill. This to ensure the chance to recover from bad situations. It could slow down the deck a little but give better win rate.

+ maybe some gem ramping like natural connection? Or even animist awakening(nissa renewal would be too slow). Not sure.

As an end note plummet has natural synergy with status walk. Worth considering if you feel that the draw/filter is enough to pull the combo out consistently.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great deck!

I highly endorse Day's Undoing, of course, but am assuming you don't have it.

I'm not as much a fan of Anticipate or Evolving Wilds; search is redundant with Talent and Seek, and you have strong mana generation as it is. I'd look for options like Rush of Ice or Disperse. Or, if you really want the mana from Wilds, go for Natural Connection, which won't get popped.
  • ROYGBV00
    edited May 2016
    Morphis wrote:
    Kiora is really far away for many ppl.
    Anyways I think I would do something similar with a couple changes:

- Evo wilds. You have no gem modification so chances you get the benefit are very low. The fact it buffs the creatures is not enough(and you can put another spell if you really want to)

- coastal discovery. Awaken spells cannot be set to "charge only the non awaken portion". So most of the time you waste mana for the awaken cost even if you do not cast the awaken version of the spell. Could have better value with day undoing.

- anticipate. I do not like it overall. With more filters/draw another filter that adds 4 mana to the total cast cost is not needed. Yes is one more spell for buffs but again.... Better get something useful together with that buff.

+ day undoing. Every blue deck with cheap spells gets huge benefit from this spell. There is also the added benefit of screwing opponents hand.

+ any removal you like. Be it bounce or kill. This to ensure the chance to recover from bad situations. It could slow down the deck a little but give better win rate.

+ maybe some gem ramping like natural connection? Or even animist awakening(nissa renewal would be too slow). Not sure.

As an end note plummet has natural synergy with status walk. Worth considering if you feel that the draw/filter is enough to pull the combo out consistently.

Actually Evo Wilds is fine; Gem modification isn't needed at all, since the Mana gain is so efficient with Kiora's first ability. Most of the spells are filled, and then you start chaining the cards. It's normal to get +10-20 ATK/DEF per round if you have blues and greens lying around.

Day's Undoing: I wished I had this card! Alas...I don't.

Gem Ramping isn't needed due to how cheap the cards are...which in turn buffs Noyan Dar with Mantle of Webs. It's scary facing a +30-50 Noyan Dar without removal.

Removal is moot since with Mantle of Webs + a continuously buffed Noyan Gar obliterates most threats before they become nuisances. Plummet is great with Stratus Walk, but most of the time, the threats are eliminated by smashing into buffed Noyan Dar. It's also a situational card dependent on comboing with Stratus Walk, thus occupying a card spot that could be better used for chaining buffs.
  • ROYGBV00
    madwren wrote:
    Great deck!

I highly endorse Day's Undoing, of course, but am assuming you don't have it.

I'm not as much a fan of Anticipate or Evolving Wilds; search is redundant with Talent and Seek, and you have strong mana generation as it is. I'd look for options like Rush of Ice or Disperse. Or, if you really want the mana from Wilds, go for Natural Connection, which won't get popped.

Yeah I wished I had Day's Undoing! It'd take this deck to even more absurd levels! And unfortunately I don't have Natural Connection.

The draws have not been kind to me...LOL.

With the two creatures, sometimes it's necessary searching for them through the deck at the beginning.

Again, removal is moot if they run into buffed NG + MoW. Disperse is nice, but the idea is to continue denying mana with Kiora'w first ability, thus slowing them down while you have one or two turns to buff NG.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Here's mine.

http://m.imgur.com/NRBcwp3

I average 3-4 min matches with this deck.

Here's a video of it in action.

https://youtu.be/A9ErMWCK5n8
  • zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    My Kiora wrecked in the last weekend battle. I only had to swap walkers a handful of times.

Shrine of the Forsaken Gods, Fertile Thicket, and Nissa's Pilgrimage along with Kiora's first ability, ensure you will have more mana than you know what to do with.

Day's Undoing and Talent of the Telepath go great with Kiora's second ability which draw/fetch tons of cards.

Match Green or Blue and use the first ability, and Scour from Existence can be cast the moment thier fatty hits the board.

Void Winnower, arguably the best creature in the game, gains so much mana and is so beefy that you can ride it alone to victory. Not to mention it also forces everything to block.

Disciple of the Ring is another huge threat that enhances Kiora's first ability by draining a grand total of 10+ mana.

Skysnare Spider is another amazingly strong creature. Reach is so good, and this guy can easily wipe an opponent's army of weenies. This slot, however, can easily be swapped out for another dude.

Brawler's Plate was my last slot, which is also a freebie. I like that it pumps your guys +2 and ensures you keep smashing your opponent's dudes to dust.

Kiora can gain and deny mana better than any other walker, definitely feels green and blue. If you get those octopi out, its over!
  • Artificer's Epiphany
    Coastal Discovery
    Stratus Walk
    Day's Undoing
    Alhammarret's Archive
    Evolving Wilds
    Plummet
    Natural Connection
    Fertile Thicket
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
  • Life Gain

Artificer's Epiphany
    Stratus Walk
    Day's Undoing
    Alhammarret's Archive
    Plummet
    Natural Connection
    Fertile Thicket
    Herald of the Pantheon
    Retreat to Kazandu
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
  • sageofhalo451
    sageofhalo451 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Here's my Kiora deck for the moment. I don't have Noyan Dar yet but he would swap in for sure if I pick it up.

-Creatures-
    Herald of the Pantheon: aids in getting supports out plus healing
    Skysnare Spider: efficient reach creature

-Supports-
    Nissa's Pilgrimage: gem conversion for match 5s
    Fertile Thicket: gem conversion for match 5s
    Part the Waterveil: mana ramp and makes a big beefy elemental

-Spells-
    Animist's Awakening: huge mana ramp and sets up lots of match 5s
    Talent of the Telepath: getting the cards I need quicker
    Natural Connection: used for getting enough greens on the board for AA to trigger on initial cast or for trying to trigger the 1-turn countdown gem (Fertile Thicket is used for the same reasons)
    Mantle of Webs: for beefing up a creature that has taken a hit or two or to turn the big beefy elemental into a wall
    Day's Undoing: auto casts spells with cost 3 or less which can also trigger cascades as they generate gems

Basic strategy is life conservation while aiming to get Part the Waterveil on the board followed up by Animist's Awakening and Day's Undoing. Day's Undoing helps keep cards in hand for the PtW 10 mana gain effect to actually do something as well as to screw with the opponent's hand. I've had a 66/66 come out of PtW a few times since you can get massive chains of Day's Undoing and Animist's Awakening etc.

It's quite the brutal deck that would be further enhanced by either Noyan Dar and a few card switches or Omnath Locus of Rage. I think I'd like to try Omnath if I get lucky since with all the mana gain he isn't that expensive and having a 5/5 and a 6/6 come out for each match 5 would be ridiculous.

Thoughts? Improvements?
  • zaann85
    Here's my Kiora deck for the moment. I don't have Noyan Dar yet but he would swap in for sure if I pick it up.

-Creatures-
    Herald of the Pantheon: aids in getting supports out plus healing
    Skysnare Spider: efficient reach creature

-Supports-
    Nissa's Pilgrimage: gem conversion for match 5s
    Fertile Thicket: gem conversion for match 5s
    Part the Waterveil: mana ramp and makes a big beefy elemental

-Spells-
    Animist's Awakening: huge mana ramp and sets up lots of match 5s
    Talent of the Telepath: getting the cards I need quicker
    Natural Connection: used for getting enough greens on the board for AA to trigger on initial cast or for trying to trigger the 1-turn countdown gem (Fertile Thicket is used for the same reasons)
    Mantle of Webs: for beefing up a creature that has taken a hit or two or to turn the big beefy elemental into a wall
    Day's Undoing: auto casts spells with cost 3 or less which can also trigger cascades as they generate gems

Basic strategy is life conservation while aiming to get Part the Waterveil on the board followed up by Animist's Awakening and Day's Undoing. Day's Undoing helps keep cards in hand for the PtW 10 mana gain effect to actually do something as well as to screw with the opponent's hand. I've had a 66/66 come out of PtW a few times since you can get massive chains of Day's Undoing and Animist's Awakening etc.

It's quite the brutal deck that would be further enhanced by either Noyan Dar and a few card switches or Omnath Locus of Rage. I think I'd like to try Omnath if I get lucky since with all the mana gain he isn't that expensive and having a 5/5 and a 6/6 come out for each match 5 would be ridiculous.

Thoughts? Improvements?

I had the cards for this, but I subbed Prism Array. With Part the Waterviel, Prism Array, and Animist's Awakening, you have and insane auto play combo engine. AA gives you tons of green, then PA draws 3 new cards, then PtW gives you 10 mana, which fills your newly drawn cards, and a 6/6. Then you cast your spells, and repeat the process for quite the extended combo chain. Noyan swells along with your hasty islands. Fun stuff for sure.
  • bokici
    bokici Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Here's my kiora build

Undergrowth champ
    Noyan dar

Exert influence
    Reclaim

Day's undoing
    Talent of the telepath

Seek the wilds
    Stratus walk

Mantle of webs
    Chitinous cloak
  • zaann85
    I'm having a blast with Animist's Awakening, Prism Array, and Part the Waterviel, but I did learn something about supports. They trigger in the order they were cast, so it is a good idea to cast Prism Array first, if possible, to ensure you draw before you gain mana from Part the Waterviel. Otherwise you usually end up wasting the +10 mana since Animist's Awakening will usually fill all your cards to full mana. Another bonus here is the amount of loyalty you genertate in these bursts. So if they do nuke your Noyan Dar or Island stack, you can usually just release the kraken!
  • DrD
    DrD Posts: 5
    I just posted this on the subreddit, but I'm running a really fun deck right now after investing in Omnath. It allowed me to achieve a 15 landfall turn for a 75/75 elemental (from Omnath) and a 36/36 elemental (from Zendikar's Roil).

Screenshot
    Decklist
  • OngFatt
    OngFatt Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I am having great success with this....
    Draw cards until I get Noyan Dar and pump him up with cheap spells

Creatures-
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper (lots of cheap spells to pump him up)
    Herald of the Pantheon (helps with ramp and healing)

Supports-
    Nissa's Pilgramage
    Fertile Thicket

Spells-
    Talent of the Telepath
    Artificer's Epithany
    Stratus Walk
    Day's Undoing
    Anchor of the Aether
    Coastal Discovery (enough ramp to get to the awaken cost, which is helpful if I am not drawing my creatures)
  • theBeard
    theBeard Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Artificer's Epiphany
    Coastal Discovery
    Stratus Walk
    Day's Undoing
    Alhammarret's Archive
    Evolving Wilds
    Plummet
    Natural Connection
    Fertile Thicket
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper

Running an almost identically deck, can't seem to pull coastal discovery to save my life and I'm lacking the archive, got pilgrimage in instead and running talent of the telepath as my seventh spell. Think I'll swap out evolving wilds once I finally pull coastal discovery as it has basically no utility other than being a cheap spell that plays off undoing. I think talent works well as it can currently ramp into undoing, guess we'll see how it works out with the mana cost going up to 10, made an 82/82 noyan earlier, which is my current record. This deck is insanely powerful!
  • Coastal was hard for me to pull as well.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Been having fun with this one (new costs included):

Undergrowth Champion (16)
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper (18)

Artificer's Epiphany (2)
    Stratus Walk (3) --> ?
    Seek The Wilds (4) --> ?
    Talent of the Telepath (5)
    Mantle of Webs (9)
    Exert Influence (10)

Nissa's Pilgrimage (3)
    Yavimaya Coast (6) --> Fertile Thicket (2)

Not too bad at the moment.

Seek the Wilds possibly isn't going to be needed once I level Kiora up a bit to the point where I can use her search ability, but does move the creatures to the bottom of the deck and out of the way once you have them improving your utility card draw. Stratus Walk gives basic evasion and replaces itself, but I'm not sure what else to replace them with once I get some other options. Despite the combo with UC, Reclaim isn't really necessary as this deck has enough mana ramp already.

Early game it's important to get a creature out as quickly as possible. Seek the Wilds and Talent of the Telepath will help you find one if you don't start with one, and Exert Influence grabs their heavy or most troubling creature to give some breathing space as you'll never have more than 2 creatures otherwise.

A problem with mana ramp decks in mid game is not having any cards in hand to make use of it, so cards that replace themselves are very important to this style. With Kiora's first and second abilities, I don't see the cost raises of UC and Noyan Dar to be particularly troubling for this deck which has excellent mana ramp, and Talent of the Telepath keeps the mana ramp going, and allows you to strategically pump Noyan Dar by picking another spell to immediately use, and very often plays immediately and replaces itself again straight away giving you a +6/+6.

Late game, with supports out creating cascades of Landfalls, drawing spells to pump your creatures to the max and two or three heavies with flying and reach, you should have complete board control!
  • mas_usmc
    mas_usmc Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    (R) Herald of Patheon (7) Healing + Mana for Supports
    (U) Somerwald Alpha (11) Group Trample
    (U) Conclave Naturalist (11) Destroy Supports

(C) Nissa's Pilgrimage (3) 2 Green Gems per turn
    (U) Sigil of Valor (9) 1/1 to 3/3 Buff
    (U) Brawler's Plate (8) 2/2 + Berserker

(M) Exert Influence (10) Control Target Creature
    (R) Turn to Frog (9) Turn Target Creature into 1/1 Frog
    (R) Animist Awakening (5) 5 Green Gems
    (C) Artificer's Epiphany (2) Card Draw
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Kiora is only lvl 43, so still a work in progress, but here is the deck i am using right now.

pqqxCpZ.jpg

Will gladly take any tips if you think i should have more of something, less of something, or whatnot. I have not been lucky on mythic cards, and both that i can use with her are in her deck already.
  • Slytechs
    Slytechs Posts: 14
    Been having fun with this one (new costs included):

Undergrowth Champion (16)
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper (18)

Artificer's Epiphany (2)
    Stratus Walk (3) --> ?
    Seek The Wilds (4) --> ?
    Talent of the Telepath (5)
    Mantle of Webs (9)
    Exert Influence (10)

Nissa's Pilgrimage (3)
    Yavimaya Coast (6) --> Fertile Thicket (2)

Not too bad at the moment.

Seek the Wilds possibly isn't going to be needed once I level Kiora up a bit to the point where I can use her search ability, but does move the creatures to the bottom of the deck and out of the way once you have them improving your utility card draw. Stratus Walk gives basic evasion and replaces itself, but I'm not sure what else to replace them with once I get some other options. Despite the combo with UC, Reclaim isn't really necessary as this deck has enough mana ramp already.

Early game it's important to get a creature out as quickly as possible. Seek the Wilds and Talent of the Telepath will help you find one if you don't start with one, and Exert Influence grabs their heavy or most troubling creature to give some breathing space as you'll never have more than 2 creatures otherwise.

A problem with mana ramp decks in mid game is not having any cards in hand to make use of it, so cards that replace themselves are very important to this style. With Kiora's first and second abilities, I don't see the cost raises of UC and Noyan Dar to be particularly troubling for this deck which has excellent mana ramp, and Talent of the Telepath keeps the mana ramp going, and allows you to strategically pump Noyan Dar by picking another spell to immediately use, and very often plays immediately and replaces itself again straight away giving you a +6/+6.

Late game, with supports out creating cascades of Landfalls, drawing spells to pump your creatures to the max and two or three heavies with flying and reach, you should have complete board control!

Probably one of the best builds so far imo. If only I have Exert and UC icon_e_sad.gif

Another suggestion may be to try with Managorger Hydra (cost 8, weaker version of Noyan Dar, but helps you get the damage in faster) and Bright to Light to fetch and cycle the spells faster. Seeing its a spell heavy deck (I dunno Kiora stats at max), if she can hold 8 spells, remove entirely supports or just keep Pilgrimage, swap in Sylvan Scrying or Swell of Growth and Natural Connection? or even more draw with coastal discovery.
    Another good option might be comboing Bright to Light into Ugins Insight into wathever 3 other spells you draw that make you draw more (Bright to Light into ugins into Talent of Telepath/artificiers/stratus, then talent into another spell that fetches another insta cast spell, like swell of growth, then keep the chain going until no more spells can be cast). That combo, with Noyan on field is possibly a One hit KO...
This discussion has been closed.