Grey suit black widow cheats?

tph_james
tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
With team captain, round 6
The antman node,the second wave encounter with gsbw, 2*captain marvel and Mr fantastic.
My team was suddenly fired with sniper rifle while gsbw had only 18 green ap.
I was stunned then I checked on her power, it clearly says sniper rifle only requires 16ap.
Since when she only needs 16ap to fire the shot?
I'm feeling cheated. With disbelief I checked my own gsbw... She still needs 19ap.
Bullsh*t indeed.

Comments

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Sniper rifle cost more ap for each cover
    GSBW you are fighting is probably 3/5/5
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    She is a very old character. Many of the first wave characters had powers that changed in cost as they got more covers.

Not many powers left that do this. Gsbw, juggernaut. . .
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    The characters whose moves get more expensive with move levels are 1*/2*/3* BW, 1* Venom, Yelena, and Bag-Man. All in the game from the beginning I believe.
  • tph_james
    Thanks for the info
    If not I will think it's another bug
  • Vhailorx
    The characters whose moves get more expensive with move levels are 1*/2*/3* BW, 1* Venom, Yelena, and Bag-Man. All in the game from the beginning I believe.

There were others too, but they have all been redesigned.

Rags, cmags, spidey, mnmags, im40 yellow, Loki black.
  • tph_james
    I'm 420 days.. Haha.. Not long enough to know all this history
  • Vhailorx
    tph_james wrote:
    I'm 420 days.. Haha.. Not long enough to know all this history

Ha! It ha been a long time. They pretty quickly figured out that 2ap abilities were a bad idea, and powers that cost more with more covers were generally just too expensive.

I think cmags (+patch) was the last time any variable cost power character had a real role in the end game meta. He was nerfed in Sept. 2014.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I remember that IceIX or someone said that the devs now feel that making power cost less or more amounts of AP with different covers is a bad design and hence they aren't doing it anymore. I agree with that. Powers should get better the more covers you have, and you shouldn't need to have to do cost/benefit calculation on a single power or having to intentionally under-cover a power to make it better (hi Original Black Widow's purple).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember that IceIX or someone said that the devs now feel that making power cost less or more amounts of AP with different covers is a bad design and hence they aren't doing it anymore. I agree with that. Powers should get better the more covers you have, and you shouldn't need to have to do cost/benefit calculation on a single power or having to intentionally under-cover a power to make it better (hi Original Black Widow's purple).

More like IM40's yellow.
    For the longest time the only 3* who's optimal build was 5/5/2. Not a typo.

I was so glad when they changed Magneto and Ragnarok's red to not be worth 2 red AP at max covers, that **** was annoying as hell watching them cast their red move every...single...freakin...TURN.

I remember rage quitting that Thick As Thieves PvE at the end when I was against Hood and Magneto and Hood was stealing my red AP to feed Magneto who'd cause cascades to get even more red ap so every single turn he fired off his red. It was actually making me more and more angry every time I saw it. It was like water torture, so I just quit.

With regards to GSBW though, I hope they give her a little rework soon. Nothing much, maybe a *slight* lowering cost of green and a complete rework of her red. The animation's dumb and the move itself is really lame, especially with how much it costs.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah, memories. Those old days were quite the different game than it's current incarnation.

The other insane thing about GSBW's green is how it changes from single target to AoE at 5 covers. what else does that?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Ah, memories. Those old days were quite the different game than it's current incarnation.

The other insane thing about GSBW's green is how it changes from single target to AoE at 5 covers. what else does that?
    Off the top of my head, Star-Lord's purple also gain AOE at higher covers. Maybe there are more I can't recall right now. But yeah, it's a pretty small AOE component compared to GSBW who gets almost the full damage on all targets.

But yeah I didn't mention IM40 since he's already fixed lol. OBW I think is the only remaining character that has a power that needs to be under-covered to be effective.

Edit: actually I guess there are some other powers that are arguably better with lower covers, like Star-Lord's red (lower countdown time) or Hulk's black (needs lower damage to activate), but they don't have different AP costs.