Levels unlocked per cover consistency

Options
Hey guys,

So my 3 star punisher has all 3 covers. This lets me take him from 15 to level 20, a whopping 5 levels. On a 2 star, having all 3 covers allows you to upgrade them the same 5 levels, and this may hold true for 1 stars, not sure don't have many of those left.

So since 3 stars have a much higher maximum level than 2 stars, shouldn't i be granted MORE potential levels with an additional 3 star cover than I would get with a 2 star?

I'm a very analytical person, this has been frustrating me. Thanks for hearing me out.

Comments

• Well...yes. The later covers give you more levels. Having 6 covers let's you get to level 51 on a 3*.
  • Crue Dat wrote:
    Hey guys,

So my 3 star punisher has all 3 covers. This lets me take him from 15 to level 20, a whopping 5 levels. On a 2 star, having all 3 covers allows you to upgrade them the same 5 levels, and this may hold true for 1 stars, not sure don't have many of those left.

So since 3 stars have a much higher maximum level than 2 stars, shouldn't i be granted MORE potential levels with an additional 3 star cover than I would get with a 2 star?

I'm a very analytical person, this has been frustrating me. Thanks for hearing me out.

The level cap scales higher with covers in a particular skill vs. total number of covers. For example, if your Punisher had 3 black covers instead of one of each, you would have a higher soft cap.
  • By "the same 5 levels", you mean from 6 to 11, right? Whereas Punisher goes from 15 to 20? That seems entirely fine to me.

Like all things in MPQ, the scaling kicks in the further along you get. So my 12th cover for Spidey (going from 5/3/3/ to 5/3/4) unlocks 13 levels, and the last cover will unlock the final 13 levels.
  • The amount of levels you gain per cover are based on how many covers in that particular cover are unlocked. For example - among 3*'s, a 5/0/0 (64) would have a MUCH higher level cap than a 2/2/1 (41). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... POUE#gid=0 contains most of the level cap calculations. Whatever their math is, I don't believe there is some geometric scaling or linearity to it, it's just a pre-set series of values that determine your level cap.
  • Thanks for all the replies guys!

Yea I should have mentioned I figured the increased scaling would kick in after the initial covers. I just think it would make more sense and we could all get alot more out of our early 3 stars if the extra scaling held true on the initial covers.

Also, what is the logic behind awarding more levels for a multiple cover than for a new cover? Like walkyourpath said, we get much more levels when you add a cover to one you already had. In my opinion these should be level, so anyone with 3 covers would have the same level cap regardless of the cover distribution.
  • jajones82
    jajones82 Posts: 14
    Options
    maybe IceX has some input on this....I agree, they should award larger level bumps on the earlier cover acquisitions. Honestly, if they did a roller coaster pattern of higher bumps early on for the first 45 levels, that then tapered off until 100, then gained ground after that until 141, that may be better...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    jajones82 wrote:
    maybe IceX has some input on this....I agree, they should award larger level bumps on the earlier cover acquisitions. Honestly, if they did a roller coaster pattern of higher bumps early on for the first 45 levels, that then tapered off until 100, then gained ground after that until 141, that may be better...
    We want people to value leveling their skills more than gaining breadth when they're first building characters, resulting in what you currently see in-game. This system also prevents players from getting a couple lucky 3* covers and having what is essentially a fairly useless character that is still more "powerful" than a max leveled 1* due to having a larger bump from just a couple covers.
  • Look at it this way: when you get your first cover of a particular color, your character gains an entirely new ability that he did not have before. In most cases, it allows that character to spend an additional type of AP that might have been entirely dead points without that cover, depending on your team configuration.

The first cover of a color increases your soft cap by a very small amount, but gives you a new ability. Every additional cover increases your soft cap by a much larger amount, and modifies an existing ability (usually for the better). In theory, a new ability is better than a buff to an existing ability, so the difference in value is offset by the difference in soft cap increase.

Also, the first cover in a given color is required before you can buy up that ability with HP, which increases its value relative to your second and later covers of the same color.
  • IceIX wrote:
    We want people to value leveling their skills more than gaining breadth when they're first building characters, resulting in what you currently see in-game. This system also prevents players from getting a couple lucky 3* covers and having what is essentially a fairly useless character that is still more "powerful" than a max leveled 1* due to having a larger bump from just a couple covers.

Thanks IceIX! I see your reasoning, however in practice what happens is we have to sit on our 3* covers until we have enough covers that they contend with our likely maxed 2* favorites. It would be nice to have them be a bit more viable early on without having a ton of luck.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    The level cap scales higher with covers in a particular skill vs. total number of covers. For example, if your Punisher had 3 black covers instead of one of each, you would have a higher soft cap.
    Ohhhhh, this makes things make sense now. icon_razz.gif

I was just wondering about this a couple days ago, when I noticed that I could level my 0/2/0 Punisher to 25 (or maybe 20), whereas my other two-cover 3*s were capped at 18.