Where did all the points go?

Jarvind
Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Gonna preface this by saying I'm genuinely not trying to whine about PVP here, this is just an honest question.

Back when I was still mucking around in 3* territory, I can remember seeing PVP brackets with dozens of people over the 1k mark. I even remember seeing everyone in the top 20 or so rocking 1300+. O, to be so hella badass, I pined. One day, such greatness shall be mine.

Then I built up a solid 4* roster and it was glorious for a month or two. 1k was easily within reach on every event, and I'd push to 1300 about half the time without too much of a hassle. It was awesome.

Lately, though, by the time I hit 650, I'm already in the top 50 on the leaderboard. Hell, I struggled my way to 1k on the last Iron Fist event and I took seventh. Seventh!

Did something happen that I missed? Are people just leaving the game in droves? Where did all those monster scores go?

And since I know someone will say "use LINE and koordinate ur sheeld hopz roflrofl," I'm aware that using LINE makes it much easier to get high scores, but that sucks all the fun out of it for me because it feels less like a competitive game and more like filing paperwork. My point is that it wasn't necessary before - I could get there on my own steam if I was crafty enough. There's just no points to be had now unless I happen to catch one of the 5-6 people that are pushing hard.

For reference, I'm on US Eastern time so I'm usually in slice 1 or 4, though I tried 3 recently and it wasn't really any better.

What is the dealio?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are still high scores, they may just have moved to another Slice. I usually play in Slice 3, where 1300 points is fairly easy to reach and usually enough for top 25. As I understand it, scores are much higher in Slice 4 though.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Slice 4.. where 1.8k doesn't even guarantee T50 icon_cry.gif
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    I think you may have just been very unlucky when you moved slices recently and always ended up with the dry slice.

I go between slice 1 and slice 3. Recently, I heard that a few big time alliances moved to S4 for at least one event. I think that plummeted scores in S1. S3 had one event that it was tough to score in (it may have been IF), but the top scorer was around 5k in my bracket.

I also think boosted Rulk week lowers scores because he is a giant tinykitty to face boosted.
  • Jarvind

I guess 4 is still where it's at then - I'll try it again.

Are you pre-joining as soon as the event becomes available?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yesterday I placed 59th with 940 points. Seems normal to me.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    I regularly play slice 4 and most of the time the top 10 have over 2500 with the top 3 or 4 getting 3 to 4k. 1k to 1.3k is required for top 100, and that isn't even always enough.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I normally easily hit 1300+ in s4. However last night, it was much harder to get above 1000 points. I think it was because the boosted 4*s weren't great, so no one was able to rise very high, and it was much easier for snipers to attack.

Apparently my boosted Ant Man doesn't inspire nearly as much fear as a boosted Ice Man, Rhulk or JG.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been bouncing around slices this season trying out some timings - and I have found if I am at 500 points in any of the "heavy" slices (S1/S4/S5) before 8 hours are remaining, I am in the T50. I try not to push beyond T50 without shielding because then you are above to many people and worth to many points.

The points still exist - I think every bracket I've seen is 1300+ in the T10, and my last two tries in S4 I went 1300/1400 and didn't crack T25.

I've been saying in threads this season - the pushes are getting later than ever. The 3*'s have realized they are going to get rolled by late starters if they push early - so they've stopped pushing early. The 4*'s have realized they are going to get rolled by the 5*'s that can easily hit 1300 in last 8 (3?) hours - the 4*'s don't push early anymore either.

PVP has become the new, longer Lightning Round. They desperately need to find a way to make the early points count, to make the first 24-48 hours "matter".

I still champion two PVP's to help out on this for the 3*-4* transitioners:
    Current PVP with -NEW- individual/alliance 4* rewards. [As more 5*'s are released, 1300 would be an ideal spot for 5*...]
    -NEW- PVP with no 5*'s and no buffed 4*'s for current rewards is needed!
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291

This. I think the number of players is decreasing overall (it's taking less and less accumulative points to finish top 100 alliance each season this year) and that's making more of the high scores funnel into slice 4 where they can still get 1300+. The side effect to this though is that you won't be getting top 10 for under 2500 and 1300 won't be good enough for top 50. So you really have to tape your pick at what pill you want to take. Both have a bit of bitterness to them.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    1 was rough over the weekend (was lucky to make 1300) but 4 has been very reiable for me.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I've been bouncing around slices this season trying out some timings - and I have found if I am at 500 points in any of the "heavy" slices (S1/S4/S5) before 8 hours are remaining, I am in the T50. I try not to push beyond T50 without shielding because then you are above to many people and worth to many points.

The points still exist - I think every bracket I've seen is 1300+ in the T10, and my last two tries in S4 I went 1300/1400 and didn't crack T25.

I've been saying in threads this season - the pushes are getting later than ever. The 3*'s have realized they are going to get rolled by late starters if they push early - so they've stopped pushing early. The 4*'s have realized they are going to get rolled by the 5*'s that can easily hit 1300 in last 8 (3?) hours - the 4*'s don't push early anymore either.

PVP has become the new, longer Lightning Round. They desperately need to find a way to make the early points count, to make the first 24-48 hours "matter".

I still champion two PVP's to help out on this for the 3*-4* transitioners:
    Current PVP with -NEW- individual/alliance 4* rewards. [As more 5*'s are released, 1300 would be an ideal spot for 5*...]
    -NEW- PVP with no 5*'s and no buffed 4*'s for current rewards is needed!

This exactly. PvP has been broke for a long time now. I am in 3-4* transition mode and there is no good strategy. If you accumulate points early, you get slammed by 4* that just jump in late in the game. It is really hard to get enough points early for 3* as you have to fight low 30 pt. matches which is a grind. The whole system for PvP is broken and should just be re-tooled or completely divided in that there is 3* bracket, 4* bracket and 5* bracket (each with different boosted characters etc). You can only use teams from those tiers and you can only join one PvP bracket at a time. The new matchmaking seemed good at first but quickly turned back into the old system from what I can tell.
  • Jarvind
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    This. I think the number of players is decreasing overall (it's taking less and less accumulative points to finish top 100 alliance each season this year) and that's making more of the high scores funnel into slice 4 where they can still get 1300+. The side effect to this though is that you won't be getting top 10 for under 2500 and 1300 won't be good enough for top 50. So you really have to tape your pick at what pill you want to take. Both have a bit of bitterness to them.

I don't really care about placement for the most part, so I'm fine as long as I can get my progression rewards. Slice 4 it is!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    I don't really care about placement for the most part, so I'm fine as long as I can get my progression rewards. Slice 4 it is!
    not sure how much hp you spend on pvp, but 2-4 shields reliably gets me 1400-1800 pts, which is sometimes t50, sometimes not. sometimes the high end of that can scrape a 25th place barely on a good bracket.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I try not to push beyond T50 without shielding because then you are above to many people and worth to many points.

I'm in the same exact boat. You can't get above T50 in the early runnings without intense, coordinated shield hopping, and I'd rather just score some 60 - 75 point battles and float (I have a lv 405 OML, which gives me that luxury, for the most part). Above T50, everyone is shielded, so that makes me one of the top non-shielded scorers, so suddenly battles are only worth 20 points, and I get attacked left and right, so it's not worth the effort or using up my dwindling supply of bonus health packs.

Even if I didn't have a great OML, it wouldn't be worth it for me to rise early and then spend hundreds to thousands of HP on numerous shields. Before I had my OML, I did the same strategy I'm doing now.. I just floated to lower levels and ended my run at around 700 to 800 points instead of shooting for 1300.

I like PVP as long as I can get to 1300 relatively easily. It's no fun to hit a score ceiling at 1000 points and then need to do a bunch of battles for 20 points or less, while others are knocking you out at 70+ points. Even with my OML, it still happens to me.... so lower-level players, you have that to look forward to icon_razz.gif