Are 20th Century Fox characters banned?

2»

Comments

• stewbacca
    stewbacca Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Well look at it this way, just means we will be getting dr. Strange before the end of the year
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Am I the only one who thinks Fox does a better job with characters than Marvel does? I dread the day we have to watch an X-Men movie as boring as the Captain America one.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well marvel has the rights to ff again so we can expect a brand new 5* Mr f
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Am I the only one who thinks Fox does a better job with characters than Marvel does? I dread the day we have to watch an X-Men movie as boring as the Captain America one.

There's a hitler youtube video out there of you finding out about wolverine origins, son.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards

You probably shouldn't go see the new movie then as it was far more boring than the non-boring Civil War.

The main problem with the Fox movies for me is that they have this wide range of characters available to them and get too focused on one or two like Wolverine and for some bizarre reason Mystique.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Crowl wrote:
    ...and for some bizarre reason Mystique.

Maybe because she can be naked without being offensive?
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Crowl wrote:

And because she's being played by arguably the most popular female actress in America right now?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Really? I haven't heard any news of that. Last I heard they were rumoured to be in negotiation but far as I know Fox hasn't returned the film rights.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is Daken considered Fox owned? Based on clues and powers, I think we're getting a 4 star Daken. Other options are Archangel (pair of sharp, bladed wings could match "look sharp" and "a pair of knives") or Omega Red (the powers fit), but I really believe this is Daken resurrected as a Horseman of Death.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really? I haven't heard any news of that. Last I heard they were rumoured to be in negotiation but far as I know Fox hasn't returned the film rights.

They traded ff for the rights to the hellfire club (which fox intends to turn into a tv series).

Marvel now have creative control over the FF series and it's characters. Secret marvel agent Josh trank succeeded in his mission to make FF unsellable and therefore get it back in marvels hands.

Also marvel own the merchandise rights for the series so even though fox can make movies they can't do what they really want (license toys, video games, art etc) to make some big money. In addition to that marvel has actively sabotaged the property by discontinuing the comic and all associated books and merchandise. They don't even sell toys for the property since it raises the profile of the series.
  • mazerat
    mazerat Posts: 118
    Late to the party but Marvel currently has the "game" rights to all of its characters (except for Spider-Man movie tie-ins). However Fox owns the FF and X-Men franchise "film" rights and they're mad at each other for some reason or other. Because of that, Marvel has banned the use of any FF or X-Men characters in any games since the end of 2014, early 2015. Marvel Contest of Champions came out in December 2014 and is the most recent game to include those characters.

Marvel Puzzle Quest predates the ban and so is allowed to use any characters it wants until its contract expires and/or is renewed (whenever that is... Gazillion's contract for Marvel Heroes expires in 2019 and it came out four months before MPQ so maybe around then?).

Note that we've had lots of said characters come out in the past year--all three of the original 5-stars and many 4-stars--so either Marvel had a friendly talk with D3 around last November or D3 has just been busy hitting other Marvel characters and will get back to FF/X-Men eventually.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards

Yep. The Box office agrees with me on this.

Marvel started characters in their own movies and gave them origins and backstories. Fox had to reboot the FF after 2 movies and now they have to reboot it a third time. That's not good. They rebooted Xmen after a whole 3 movies. Marvel are on to Phase 3 of character continuity in movies without needing a reboot. (Unless you want to argue Hulk, but I never watched either of those movies and I think they existed outside the MCU)

Deadpool is the first character they have really developed. For most of the rest they just relied on you knowing them from the comics.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Marvel are running a campaign of trying to de-value the properties they don't own movie rights to. Specifically Fox owned ones.
    Hence there is never any X-Men merchandise like clothing or toys when a new movie comes out because they still own the mechandising rights to all that.

They've been trying to make the X-man brand worth little to Fox so they can get it back and it nearly worked after trash like Xmen 3 and Xmen Origins Wolverine. But then they had to go and make First Class and get things back on track.

So I imagine Marvel is only going to promote X-men themed characters only so far as their current line of comics goes. Deadpool still makes them some good bank in comics, so he's safe.

It's not to say Marvel will never do anything X-men or F4 related, but they're not going to be pushing that as much as their other interests, especially when it comes to the MCU.

Not sure I agree with your sentiment that Marvel is actively trying to "devalue" anything. Let's put this in another perspective. If you own a house or a car, you're more worried about keeping up maintenance and ensuring your house is in order, than what your neighbor is doing w/ his house/car.

Marvel has so much stuff available to promote, and there is only so much slots available on the calendar for TV, movies, etc that they unlikely to even think about how their release schedule is screwing Fox.

Making a profit off films is an inexact science. If Marvel had a crystal ball and knew Deadpool was gonna be a big moneymaker, they would NOT have waited so many years to give the go ahead to release the film. It wasn't until someone illegally released the film trailer online, and got massive positive, viral feedback, that the film studio went ahead w/ it. So there's no conspiracy theory, in my view, to screw Fox per se, because Marvel is more interested in making $$$ off the characters it has the rights to. Heck, w the Infinity War parts I, II on the horizon, Xmen is pretty much on the back burner after Apocalypse film.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

And because she's being played by arguably the most popular female actress in America right now?

An actress who phoned in her performance for this one, in any case the biggest strength of comic book movies is the source material and losing sight of that is why the Fox stuff does worse than Marvel's own movies despite having the rights to some of Marvel's bigger name properties.

Look at the movie which has done best for Fox, that is Deadpool and even with it being r-rated which cuts the potential audience, it has done so well because they translated the source material from the comics so well.