Pulled Black Hood from Taco, 3 secs after winning it in DDQ?

TLCstormz
TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
YES that's possible, but doesn't a situation like that seem more like "the server was stuck in the same RNG code", or something technical, like that?

:+/

Comments

• Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Well after completing the DDQ I thought it was strange I only had 1 Taco token (after all nodes were done), though when looking at the vault it indicated i'd used 1 already, scrolling through the list one of the 2 star.png Bullseye covers had a tick on it, and checking my roster showed that very same cover (the only one in the roster, cause I'd sold everything else prior to kicking off DDQ).

So consider it lucky the one that was automagically selected for you was Hood? icon_e_confused.gif

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    YES that's possible, but doesn't a situation like that seem more like "the server was stuck in the same RNG code", or something technical, like that?

No. Not when you consider DDQ was set for everyone at least a week in advance. Whereas your token randomisation happened just now. A lot of random events were generated in between those two points. We'd have noticed if everyone pulled only Hood for the least fortnight.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Mathematically randomness is characterised by groupings of similar coincidence - that said DDQ is on a fixed cycle so there aren't even two variable at play here its just perception - RNG played no part in you getting hood in the DDQ cycle and given he was within the cycle there are more of his covers in the vault along with the other 4 3*s this week so actually this is a more likely outcome not less likely.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2016
    People often complain that the same event twice in a row doesn't feel random, even when they know it's possible. So, some programs purposely avoid randomness to help people "feel" like their algorithm is somehow more random.

They don't do that in this game, because the whole premise of token draws is that they are completely random. Unfortunately for the Devs, MPQ is bound to feel less random than other programs you use.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/why-random-shuffle-feels-far-from-random-10066621.html
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    The problem lies both in human interpretation of randomness and the fact that games are much less likely to use true RNGs instead of PRNGs. There is a pretty easy-to-understand write up here: https://boallen.com/random-numbers.html

Lower quality PRNGs may spit out results that are less random. To the OP, I don't think the server having an RNG blip is really an explanation of what happened for the pull so much as coincidence, but I could see how it would feel like that.
  • Want to talk about random.

I got the DDQ Hood cover, then pulled a DDQ token and got hood.
    Then pulled Hood from my first ISO8 token, then got a hood from Heroic token half hour later xD

Im happy if the RNG got stuck, got me to 12 covers for hood icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    Really want to talk randomness i pulled a yellow 3*cyke from a heroic then did ddq for a black 3* cyke then pulled a red 3* cyke from ddq and today i pulled a red 3* cyke hes now 4/4/3
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    lol. Crazy.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moving past the fact that, as others have said, the first Hood cover was a guaranteed reward, so you're only looking at a single token draw, you should also keep in mind that Taco token vaults are tailored to that week's required characters. Each featured 3* has five covers of various colors in the vault, and then there are ten more randomly selected 3* covers in the vault which could also include some Hood covers. You had at least a 1-in-60 chance of pulling a Hood cover.

Basically, what I'm saying here is that I think the forum has reached peak Not-Random, and I'm switching my recommendation to a "sell". Forum speculators should begin to short Not-Random immediately. If you're wondering what to invest in, I am long on both "needs more ISO" and "the AI cheats".