When to level and raise 5*

Options
dokiy
dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
edited May 2016 in Roster and Level Help
A break from the endless PVE discussion....

My current roster of 5 stars is as follows:

Spider-Man 2 blueflag.png and 1 purpleflag.png

OML: 1 blackflag.png and 2 redflag.png (no yellow icon_e_sad.gif )

Jean: 1 of purpleflag.png and 1 greenflag.png

SS: 1 blueflag.png and 1 blackflag.png

Cap: Just the 1 yellowflag.png

So my question for those that have been here before, at what point is it a good idea to dump ISO into 5 stars to start using them? I have zero championed 4 star characters, a few are a few covers away but with the RNG of 4 stars.....anyway. As a general rule of thumb, when is a good time to start?

Comments

• slf03c
    slf03c Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is around 6 covers with at least one of each. However, other circumstances can change that. Some people worry about the amount of scaling while others want to use their 5 stars in PVE. It all depends on your main motive of playing.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5-8 covers will get you into the 300s, which is where they really start to surpass maxed 4*s (though not boosted 4*champs).

Some characters/builds do pretty well with just a few covers (e.g. 2/2/1 OML, 0/4/1 Phoenix), while others don't (1/0/4 OML that just kills himself slowly or 3/1/1 phoenix). Another consideration is that leveling several 5*s up into the 300s has been reported as having a significant effect on PVP matchmaking.

None of yours are close enough TC to think about leveling right now TC.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I do enjoy using my current 5* to grind out those trivial nodes in PVE. A few matches and things are over.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Some characters/builds do pretty well with just a few covers (e.g. 2/2/1 OML, 0/4/1 Phoenix), while others don't (1/0/4 OML that just kills himself slowly or 3/1/1 phoenix).

Guess which bucket my OML falls into?
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have two good 5*s. I'd say OML starts being good at 1/1/1 and Phoenix starts at around 1/3/1. But be careful, demiurge doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to scaling.
  • bbf2
    bbf2 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pongie wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Some characters/builds do pretty well with just a few covers (e.g. 2/2/1 OML, 0/4/1 Phoenix), while others don't (1/0/4 OML that just kills himself slowly or 3/1/1 phoenix).

Guess which bucket my OML falls into?

Well my OML falls into a 0/0/0 bucket so...
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So what do people think of an 0/5/5 Old Man Logan? Still 200+ days short of the blackflag.png daily reward and no luck with the RNG lately.

He's still at 255, any good partners with this build if I sank some serious Iso into him?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Only a few days to go before I open my stash of 19xx command points.
    Will probably create a thread with all the pulls like others have done.
    Hoping my OML won't stay 1/0/4
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So what do people think of an 0/5/5 Old Man Logan? Still 200+ days short of the blackflag.png daily reward and no luck with the RNG lately.

He's still at 255, any good partners with this build if I sank some serious Iso into him?

He is good enough to level him to 350, maybe even more (depending on where you are with the rest of your roster). Without black you don't have his strongest offensive asset (both the strike tiles and the chance to transform), but his yellow is at his max, so you have his best quality overall, ENDURANCE and SUSTAINABILITY. He is going to be great for long periods of play like PvE and PvP climbing. If you pair him (specially in PvE) with someone with cheap powers so he can create some good red strikes tiles he will be quite good.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    dokiy wrote:
    A break from the endless PVE discussion....

My current roster of 5 stars is as follows:

Spider-Man 2 blueflag.png and 1 purpleflag.png

OML: 1 blackflag.png and 2 redflag.png (no yellow icon_e_sad.gif )

Jean: 1 of purpleflag.png and 1 greenflag.png

SS: 1 blueflag.png and 1 blackflag.png

Cap: Just the 1 yellowflag.png

So my question for those that have been here before, at what point is it a good idea to dump ISO into 5 stars to start using them? I have zero championed 4 star characters, a few are a few covers away but with the RNG of 4 stars.....anyway. As a general rule of thumb, when is a good time to start?

Work on your 4*s. Once you have some good 4*s championed, leveling a 5* up to 330-350 won't hurt you. And OML is worth leveling once you have yellow. Well, don't get him way out in front of your 4*s, but if you max a few 4*s, go for it.

Once he's up to 330, I'd wait until your have enough covers to get him up to 390 to take him higher.

He's the most usable of the 5*s on few covers, however. I didn't touch Phoenix until she was 2/3/3, and I over leveled her at that point (she was more a detriment than a help in PvP maxed at that level). Once I had a few more covers and put her to... 405, maybe... that's when she started being great, though it also helped that I had five purple. The others? I'm not really sure. I'm up to 2/4/5 with my surfer, and I still haven't leveled him, though I'm sure I would if he were 5/4/2 instead, and might soon, anyway. I'm comfortable saying that it isn't time yet for the others, but can't say anything more specific.
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Piggy backing on this thread.

I have 4/5 of the "top" 4* champed (HB, JG, Ice, Rulk) and my only 5 with decent coverage is SS 3/2/2. Is it worth leveling him? It guess it would make him take HB spot as my "red" character.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Piggy backing on this thread.

I have 4/5 of the "top" 4* champed (HB, JG, Ice, Rulk) and my only 5 with decent coverage is SS 3/2/2. Is it worth leveling him? It guess it would make him take HB spot as my "red" character.
    from what I hear, he'd be no better than hb without several more covers and tons of levels.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moderator note: moving this thread to Tips and Guides -- Roster and Level Help.