Breaking down the battle kit

Slarow
Slarow Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok so here is my analysis of the battle kit as a 4* player:

2 token_legendary.png - translates to 2k iso8big.png since 80% chance it will be a cover for a 4* I already have at 13 covers but lack the iso8big.png to champion.
9 commandpointsbig.png - translates to 450 iso8big.png since it is 9/20th's of a classic token which, as stated above, will be a 4* cover that gets sold
4 token_heroic.png - ~1250 iso8big.png
10000 iso8big.png - 10k iso8big.png
700 heropointsbig.png - Currently don't need HP, and the cost when compared to a $20 hp pack is not even close, so if I needed HP I would get a $20 hp pack instead.

So basically the pack gives you:

700 heropointsbig.png
~14,000 iso8big.png

for $10 or $15.

Now... If there was something I could do with those covers that was better than simply selling them, then it may actually be appealing.

For example, if you could apply extra covers to their 13 cover, underleveled character, and it would level up the character as if you had applied 10x the sale value of the cover in ISO (5k for 3*, 10k for 4*), then I would definitely jump on the deal at $10, as it would mean a great deal more of the only useful thing right now, ISO.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Exactly. $10 for:

700 heropointsbig.png
    ~14,000 iso8big.png

Is very little. I have no need for HP.. I make enough that I'll never run out. I even waste some on token daily deals which is silly but helps speed up my progression a tiny bit.

And 14,000 ISO can be earned with less than a day's work, so it's silly to spend money on it.

I get that they're trying to make money from us, so I'm totally fine with them releasing this (not like they need my permission). But it would be nice to win more ISO through a feeling of accomplishment, that I did something cool in-game, as opposed to just shelling out more bucks.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    They need to include a free roster slot in the package. Everyone needs rosters slots no matter what stage your at in the game.

I
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    The dev's insistence on a magical "one size fits all" formula strikes again! Scaling, brackets, mmr, rewards, and now this possible subscription. All trying to appeal to lvl 40-550 players at once, but it just amounts to another mediocre experience.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meh. I'd pitch in $10 for another 2 rolls at a 5* if it came with 1k HP instead of 700.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    It's a good value, but there's too much randomness in the awards. Most people who buy it will receive 4 2* covers and 2 4* covers. Some of which may be useful, but which probably won't be.

The 4 heroic tokens should be replaced with 3 covers of a given 3* character, and 1 cover of the 4* character that gives the champ rewards. June could be Luke Cage month, July could be IM 40 month, etc. That gives actual synergy between the rewards, and allows people transitioning to get a head start on a functional 3* character.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    might need weekly changes on that. or groups for the month. otherwise it takes over 3 years to get all the 3*s through.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    I think you are under-selling it a little... let's look at it a different way:

Stark: $99.99
    20k HP
    140 CP (assuming buy club)
    1.26 - 1.75 LT (assuming you buy a 40-pack Heroic/Feature)

So for every $10:
    2000 HP
    14 CP
    .15 LT

If you buy the Lode instead, $10 gets you:
    7800 ISO
    14 CP

...Now, looking at the package...

If it's $14.99, every $10 gets you:
    467 HP
    6671 ISO
    6 CP
    1.33 LT
    4 Heroics

If the price drops to $9.99, then for every $10 you get:
    701 HP
    10010 ISO
    9 CP
    2 LT
    4 Heroics

...In either case, both are better than buying a Lode, even if there is little ISO. And I think the $9.99 is a better value than the Stark (maybe even the $14.99). I am also in the 5* game where LT's are key, so a lot of it depends on your player state. If you are in the 3* game, that may not be the case.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Ludaa wrote:
    The dev's insistence on a magical "one size fits all" formula strikes again! Scaling, brackets, mmr, rewards, and now this possible subscription. All trying to appeal to lvl 40-550 players at once, but it just amounts to another mediocre experience.

Exactly what I said on the poll - treating a beginning player and a day 600 or day 800 player the same is insanity. If they are going to offer a "subscription" then make the benefits scale with days played or roster size or whatever but make it scale so the longer term players don't have to feel absolutely insulted by 10K iso....
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:

<snip>

...In either case, both are better than buying a Lode, even if there is little ISO. And I think the $9.99 is a better value than the Stark (maybe even the $14.99). I am also in the 5* game where LT's are key, so a lot of it depends on your player state. If you are in the 3* game, that may not be the case.

I agree, if you're already a spender, it's actually a pretty great deal just for the 9 CP and 2 LTs at $9.99.

But appealing to people who already spend isn't hard, getting new people to spend is. In that vein, it could be tweaked to have greater (and more consistent) value for people starting out by providing specific 3* covers instead of heroic tokens.

It's not that much of a difference for a 4* roster, but it'll help a 3* transitioner out a lot.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Slarow wrote:
    Ok so here is my analysis of the battle kit as a 4* player:

2 token_legendary.png - translates to 2k iso8big.png since 80% chance it will be a cover for a 4* I already have at 13 covers but lack the iso8big.png to champion.
    9 commandpointsbig.png - translates to 450 iso8big.png since it is 9/20th's of a classic token which, as stated above, will be a 4* cover that gets sold
    Let me stop you right there. Currently LTs are the ONLY way to progress to the 5* tier, and to equate them to ISO in that way grossly undervalues them.

The only true comparison is in what you can currently buy. $100 in a buy club gets you 140 CP and enough HP to pick up an additional token through a 40-pack so call it 8 LTs. Or $12.50/LT. So for $10 or $15 you can get about $30 worth of LTs. That's a good deal, and there is a reason they are only offering it once/month.
  • jobob wrote:

Stark: $99.99
    20k HP
    140 CP (assuming buy club)
    1.26 - 1.75 LT (assuming you buy a 40-pack Heroic/Feature)

So for every $10:
    2000 HP
    14 CP
    .15 LT

If you buy the Lode instead, $10 gets you:
    7800 ISO
    14 CP

...Now, looking at the package...

If it's $14.99, every $10 gets you:
    467 HP
    6671 ISO
    6 CP
    1.33 LT
    4 Heroics

If the price drops to $9.99, then for every $10 you get:
    701 HP
    10010 ISO
    9 CP
    2 LT
    4 Heroics

Resources are way overpriced for established players. I'd rather have my teeth pulled than spend upwards of £10 to progress in what is essentially a repetitive game which often lacks a wow factor, My roster strength improves slowly and I play less and less now. I keep thinking that when the plug does get pulled, I sure as **** don't want to reflect on blood, sweat and tears wasted on ...a game. Sure, I'll keep my toe in the water but that's it. The crux of the issue is that resources in the first place have been laughably overpriced. Extortion is too kind a word to use.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    They need to include a free roster slot in the package. Everyone needs rosters slots no matter what stage your at in the game.

I

then they need to give me back my 50,000 i wasted on slots

they need to make new PVE and PVP where only people who buy this plan can play then maybe people would buy it