I'm Pretty Done With LR's Until 5*'s Are Banned From Them.

MarcusGraves
MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
It was starting to become dumb before I took a game break and it's even worse now since I've come back. LR's used to be a nice way to compete for extra tokens if you could even field a decent team of the featured 3*'s.

I used to be so excited for villain LR's when i finally finished Doom and Mag for them since I still had a chance vs the popular 4* teams. Now through? forget it, 5*'s run the show, faster, tankier and better at sustained play due to some having true heals.

They either need to be banned from LR's or players given a choice to run in 5* specific LR's if you want to field them, I feel incredibly **** being so locked out of even wanting to attempt this game mode.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lightning rounds aren't about placement, they are about easy ISO by beating up seed teams. It's quite possible to get top 100 and thus a Heroic token just by getting to 250 points, at least towards the end.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    LOL and people really wanted to run LRs 24/7.

The only thing I can tell you is that you need to rethinking your timing and play strategy. There are ways to take advantage of how people play, but it takes time.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you restrict your play to the last 30-min, you rarely end up in someone's queue and I've climbed into the t20 without ever being hit. first LR this week, my play was in the 30-min to an 1hr window and I got hit 3X towards the end. just how it worked out timing wise, but I'm not that worried. the token or 2 is nice, but like quebbster said, LRs aren't about placements for me. its the iso from the seeds plus the 1 or 2 matches it takes to get to 250 for that progression. anything over that is gravy. nice, but nothing I'd quite LRs over. as long as they keep us out of queues long enough to get to 250, i'll never quit LRs.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose beat me to the punch. If you really want tokens load the seeds at the beginning (maybe even play 1 just to make sure they get locked in), make sure you don't do anything that will make the game reset the cache, then play in the last 35 minutes or so blasting through the seeds and then hitting another 4+ opponents to get to 300+. But as many have said - LRs are more about the iso than anything else, so don't worry so much about placement.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some days I don't even get seed teams anymore...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    Some days I don't even get seed teams anymore...
    have to enter the LR in the first minute. leave the game open, but not play until later. if you cannot do that, LRs can be quite frustrating. if you can't leave open and come back, enter the first minute and play the seeds early. I'd wait a few minutes to let some guys climb ahead of you. you don't want to be the first to hit open queues or you'll get hit hard. I have alarms set for 11:58, 1:58, 3:58... to make sure I enter at the beginning. I play whenever I have a small block of time to climb to 250. personally I wouldn't play 1 match because you could end up in queues after that and if you get hit, you lose any seeds under your stacks of queues.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    You see, its so simple. Wait to open the LR within 5 seconds. 3 before or 2 after will likely negate your seed teams. Make sure to queue them repeatedly. Do not attack until 60 minutes into the lightning round. Unless its a Wednesday. On Wednesdays wait 7 seconds, and don't actually attack anyone until 39.5 minutes into the lightning round.

Still with me? Of course you are, its simple and easy. Oh, and don't forget when its raining. Lightning rounds happen faster then. You know, cause lightning.
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    I've found that if the game was open when the LR started, I would have the 3 seed teams (I was busy playing one of the other PvP modes). I very definitely did not enter the LR event until 5 minutes after the start. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone made an off-handed comment that checking the rewards page before the LR starts helps ensure you get seed teams. I don't have time to experiment. I do know that I've had LRs start while I was busy playing another event and joined 15-30 minutes into the LR with a full complement of seed teams.

Snark isn't helpful to people. LRs provide a way to quickly acquire a couple thousand ISO every two hours by fighting seed teams. The only repeatable content with a better cost-benefit ratio is DDQ. If you want to aim for placement awards too, you have to play the meta game against your opponents. If you don't have the roster to climb early and sit unshielded at the top of the leaderboard, you have to sneak in at the end. Timed right, you can earn an additional 500 iso and 2 heroic or lightning tokens. I've had above average luck with the lightning tokens, pulling around a dozen 3*s in the last couple of months.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Someone made an off-handed comment that checking the rewards page before the LR starts helps ensure you get seed teams. I don't have time to experiment.

I've been doing this since that was mentioned and I've had really good luck having the seeds available to me even if I'm 5-15 minutes late.

Just to echo the others, I only want the ISO. I rarely play for placement unless I'm board with 10 minutes left in a round and there are some easy queues.
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Well I unintentionally logged in 1 minute after the current LR started (just plain forgot) and did not get the seed teams, so you've gotta be on the ball if you want them.
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    My experience is if you are *on* when the lightning round starts you get Seed Teams.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    Lightning rounds aren't about placement, they are about easy ISO by beating up seed teams. It's quite possible to get top 100 and thus a Heroic token just by getting to 250 points, at least towards the end.

It's possible for the top 100 players to get a top 100 score. What performance/roster ensures a t100 score is going to change in 3, 6, 12 months.

EDIT: I do agree with you about the ISO farming. I can usually scrape up a good couple thousand ISO in less than 30 minutes of a good round.