Meet Rocket & Groot - COMPETITIVE players feedback

124»

Comments

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    Dear God D3, get rid of the 20pt min. Get rid of timers. Get rid of placement. Extend Progression out to infinity. Do something other than this. Players are getting 20 times the amount for grinding the end of a node than they used to; of course this will be abused. Or was this your intention all along?
    But they couldn't see this coming!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

Except we've told them this would happen days before the start of the PVE.

I mean, honestly, what is better? Waiting passively for 24 hours for your node to refresh the extra 80 points to get up to 200, or playing 10 times in less than 5 minutes and making up those points immediately?

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    madsalad wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    Dear God D3, get rid of the 20pt min. Get rid of timers. Get rid of placement. Extend Progression out to infinity. Do something other than this. Players are getting 20 times the amount for grinding the end of a node than they used to; of course this will be abused. Or was this your intention all along?

I mean, honestly, what is better? Waiting passively for 24 hours for your node to refresh the extra 80 points to get up to 200, or playing 10 times in less than 5 minutes and making up those points immediately?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Honestly? I prefer to wait. It's all about why are you actually playing this game. Are you doing this only for rewards and playing itself doesn't mean anything to you? does mindless grinding same node over and over again would give you any enjoyment? At the end of the day it's all about what everyone of us prefer. I've just finished this event. Scored top5 without touching any 20point nodes (well execpt hiting twice that main node with required blade as I wanted every single reward).
    In this event I've spent way less time playing that I've done in any other 4day event in last few months, I had more fun and actually I didn't have to play in the middle of night or in the early morning. I've picked slice where I could spend 4h in a row but at the end of the day not even once I had to play for longer than 3h. After some toughts I would prefer bottom line to be set at 10 and not 20 points, but I don't mind either. Even if with that amount of play my placement would be top20 and not top5 I still would call it success as It took less than 8h for 4 day event to score every single reward from every node.
  • Bulls
    Here's some final numbers:
    I've started final grind of sub3 100min before end of event. Clearing all nodes 4 times took me 61min and set me at 5th place in sub with 31046 points (that placement didn't change for the remaining 40min). After that I've went to clear remaining nodes in a main event window (4 fights vs deadpool node and 6 fights vs 3 bots) and it took me 15min. I've ended up with 75652 points total and with 4th position and for the remaining time noone pushed me down.
    Here are final points from my slice 1:

1. 80086
    2. 77081
    3. 76104
    4. 75652 (me)
    5. 75553
    6. 75126
    7. 73554
    8. 73468
    9. 73093
    10. 73019
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Bulls wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    madsalad wrote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

Honestly? I prefer to wait. It's all about why are you actually playing this game. Are you doing this only for rewards and playing itself doesn't mean anything to you? does mindless grinding same node over and over again would give you any enjoyment? At the end of the day it's all about what everyone of us prefer. I've just finished this event. Scored top5 without touching any 20point nodes (well execpt hiting twice that main node with required blade as I wanted every single reward).

In this event I've spent way less time playing that I've done in any other 4day event in last few months, I had more fun and actually I didn't have to play in the middle of night or in the early morning. I've picked slice where I could spend 4h in a row but at the end of the day not even once I had to play for longer than 3h. After some toughts I would prefer bottom line to be set at 10 and not 20 points, but I don't mind either. Even if with that amount of play my placement would be top20 and not top5 I still would call it success as It took less than 8h for 4 day event to score every single reward from every node.

Meanwhile, I'm between Top 25 and Top 50. I got into my slice fresh (first 100 peeps) and played very close to optimal (ground down to timer right off the rip; ground to 20 prior to flip; rinse/repeat). Not sure where you get 8 hours. I played every node (other than the essentials where all three are required) with OML, Champ 4hor and champ IM40. On the essentials I played x, 4hor, im40. I took me about 1.5 hours to grind before flip. I'm going to say it took at least that to grind after flip. That's 3 hours right there. So, at least 12 hours for a 4 day event. I guess if you are playing most nodes with 3 5*s with incredible match damage it might take you 8 hours but that is definitely not the norm.

There will always be someone who wants it more than someone else. So, of course YMMV per slice, per round, per sub, etc... I agree with you that this game should be about playing for fun, but some people think fun is winning the highest rewards so they do whatever that takes. If there is a way to gain that advantage, they will do it.
  • Bulls
    I don't have any 5* at playable lvl (6 covers oml, 7 covers phoenix, non of them lvled) as rngesus refuse to bless me with proper covers - just well developed 4* roster. If you would read my main post you have exact times of my plays.
    sub1 - 72minutes for first 4 clears, 93minutes 4 end clears
    sub 2 - 54 minutes for first 4 clears, 18minutes for 1 clear 24h later, 62 minutes 4 end clears
    sub 3 - 49 minutes for first 4 clears, final sub grind 61minutes, 15minutes for main event nodes.
    Total 424 minutes (7h 4min)
    How far behind top10 I would be with my 75.6k points? (mind that I had enough time to farm 20 point nodes just between end of my clears and start of next sub/end of event and from my calculation that would give me additional 2.5-3k points but I didn't do that just for the sake of my experiment icon_e_wink.gif
  • Markot
    Markot Posts: 86 Match Maker
    S3, I entered the slice cca 8 hours before S3 started
    sub2 end:
    1. 42067
    2. 36035
    3. 34774
    4. 33828
    5. 32226 (me)
    6. 30019
    7. 29728
    8. 29010
    9. 28809
    10. 28689

overall right after sub 2 end:
    1. 58503
    2. 55683
    3. 52760
    4. 50523
    5. 49549 (me)
    6. 46155
    7. 45742
    8. 44435
    9. 44008
    10. 43883

8 hours to go for the whole event:
    1. 84875
    2. 79405
    3. 74316
    4. 72248 (me)
    5. 72133
    6. 71195
    10. 65625

I need only one blue cover for cyclops so I'm trying for top 5. I have done almost optimal clears and I won't be top 10 without grinding 20 points node. Usually its not big problem for me to finish top 5 (and I'm member of long time top 2 pve aliance).
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think people forget this is a test. Give them the feedback that the 20 pt node is bad. But there's no need to freak out like the sky is falling, or pretending their the dumbest people in the world for not foreseeing this. It's very likely they knew about the ability to grind the easy 20 pt node and they decided to test it to see how many people would actually do it.

There's plenty of other real world problems to freak out about.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was in the 11 AM ending slice and barely ended top 50 with a little over 60,000 or so points. I cleared all of the nodes from sub 1 and 2 7x each and in the last sub I cleared all of the trivial nodes 7x and most of the other nodes at least 6x ( a few I cleared 7x) but Doom/Mystique eventually caught up to me at the higher levels and the rewards I had left just weren't worth it. So nearly all nodes cleared 7x. I didn't clear the repeatable event nodes more than once or twice though so I left some points on the board there.

I think top player in my node were around high 80,000's last night...didn't check on them this morning unfortunately.

I felt that I placed well but at the same time, no way I will ever place top 25 anymore it seems.
  • to gun
    to gun Posts: 17
    Let me start by saying I'm by no means a competitive player. However, I finished 6th overall in this event, 2nd in the last sub, and top ten for all others. Total points were 78,441 with 1st place at 98,540. I was never able to compete in the old format due to schedule, but don't think I like this much better. Its nice to place high, but the time involved in grinding a node worth 20 points was insane. Maybe I missed the most optimal strat, but I would clear all nodes, then grind the first (lowest point value with just goons) down to 20. While the others were building up points, I kept grinding this for 20 points.

Wish they could somehow reduce the grind!
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    11 am central slice

1. 91930
    2. 87015. (Me)
    3. 84429
    4. 79802
    5. 79515
    6. 77280
    7. 76595
    8. 76436
    9. 76214
    10. 75811

I ground 20 pt nodes for about 8-9 hours total (I'm unemployed)

The person in fifth was in my last sub and was grinding the 20 all the way to the end. not sure if it was to fight me for 2nd in the sub or to make sure they were top 5.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    I was waiting to finish to comment, and I just did, so here's my takeaways:

I'm still a new player, playing competitive for approaching three months now, so I've played through all the tests as well as the old format, a couple "dull" new character releases, a couple "big" character releases, you get the idea. I was t10 in my newb bracket, and I've been t30 for non-new character events, t50-t100 for new characters.

I finished up Meet Rocket & Groot in 8th place, my first t10 finish since entering the vet bracket. I'm certain that I accomplished this because of the 20pt node, being able to hit it when I could - either a once or twice, or in ten-fifteen minute batches - since I don't have the time for a full end grind every event. I feel that the 20pts made up for my lack of playing time that the current PVE requires. That being said...

By halfway through sub2, it became clear that the 20pt node was the key in most slices/brackets to t10/t20 finish (depending on how late one started, once word got out about how important hitting that node truly was going to be, getting tougher in later slices). I was going to have to commit to hitting it often to take advantage of this competitive edge I previously never had.

By the start of sub3, I hated the node.

By the end of the event, I hated seeing 20 anywhere in the game.

My reflection is that I don't want to have this competitive edge option given to me: I enjoyed the game just fine with others getting t10 if they had the time to make the grind happen. This enticement to play wore me out.

On a happy note, the scaling levels were great. I even added a five star to my roster for the first time before the start of sub2, and while my scaling expectedly went up, I was clearly still able to progress just fine. I didn't mind the four clears/24hr timer bit, that was much less cumbersome than six in the other tests, and getting a bunch of iso at once felt a lot more rewarding than spreading it out sprinkled in clears. I was able to get all the loot.

Overall, if I had to choose between this and the old format, I'd take this without the 20pt node. Let the end-game/time grinders have their rewards, this part was too much work. I think it would reflect better if the t10 placement wasn't 4cyc.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:
    I think people forget this is a test. Give them the feedback that the 20 pt node is bad. But there's no need to freak out like the sky is falling, or pretending their the dumbest people in the world for not foreseeing this. It's very likely they knew about the ability to grind the easy 20 pt node and they decided to test it to see how many people would actually do it.

There's plenty of other real world problems to freak out about.

It's a bad test when they ask you to try the same thing several times with minute changes that never really address the biggest complaints from the previous tests. It seems they're holding on to their idea and feed it to us again and again until we give up complaining.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    Seed of Destruction (1 minute before the event ended, so it's not entirely accurate as there were still some movements):
    1. 38302
    2. 32299
    3. 32126
    4. 31801
    5. 31360
    6. 31060
    7. 30962 (me, no additional clears)
    8. 30886
    9. 30841
    10. 30597

Final overall ranking:
    1. 97016
    2. 80961
    3. 79931 (me, got around 5300 extra from the trivial nodes)
    4. 79089
    5. 77725
    6. 77251
    7. 75796
    8. 75354
    9. 74731
    10. 74669 (sneaked in top 10, grinding 20 pts)

I think it's safe to say, all top10 players were grinding for 20 pts at some point in the game.

Number 10 would be me. I added 500 points worth of 20 point matches. Just to be sure. But ended with over 1k over 11th, so wasn't needed.

Big hand to C in first place for doing over 1150 20 point matches.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Slice 4 vet final results - my bracket.

1. 86293
    2. 82046
    3. 75459
    4. 75134
    5. 73014
    6. 73011
    7. 72422
    8. 71853
    9. 69523
    10. 69073

14. 68508
    15. 68184
    16. 67340
    17. 67197
    18. 66882
    19. 66564 (me)
    20. 66466

I had been bumped out of the T20 for each sub by the end. Finished 34 overall after sub 1, 27 overall after sub 2, and squeaked T20 in sub 3.

My strategy was push everything to 7 clears, and I included the main event's 2 team-up nodes in that (only hit the one against Deadpool semi-optimally).

Sub 1: Did all my clears 5-6 hours before the sub closed. Pushed everything except the team-up to 7 clears, no further grinding, certainly nothing "optimal" in this one.
    Sub 2: Cleared everything around 12 hours after the start of the sub 4x to start the timers. Came back 24 hours later and did a grind to 20 points on all the nodes since they refreshed to full. I did end up hitting the easiest node maybe 20-30 times for shiggles, but decided it wasn't worth it and stopped.
    Sub 3: Hit all the nodes once and pushed the first two trivial nodes to 4x clears to start their timers around 7-8 hours after the sub started. Pushed to 7x clears/20 points on every node in the sub, then did the same for the team-ups on the main event page (meant I got 20 points a few times on those until the rewards were cleared).

#1 in my bracket was around 14K ahead of everyone with 4-5 hours to go in the event. Dude has a championed 4Cyc so he REALLY wanted those champ covers. Just goes to highlight the stupidity of the rewards model if you ask me since arguably champion covers are less helpful for a guy with a level 2xx champion than someone with a 1/1/1 4* character, but whatever. I did far better than normal though pretty much by simply pushing to 7x clears; I think my best vet bracket finish was in the Webbed Wonder PvE when I was actually able to do ~mostly optimal hits for the Rulk cover and pulled #6 overall.
  • GMadMan040
    GMadMan040 Posts: 207
    So...I finished 3rd in my slice with 63k or so points.

This is the first time I have doubled progression in a great while and my slice was absolutely full. I feel good about both of these things.

The pros -
    * The scaling was tough, but fair. Some nodes overall were challenging, but they always felt fair.
    * It was really nice to be able to nab a maximum amount of rewards with burning through obscene amounts of health packs.
    *The ability to somewhat play on my own time was exceptionally helpful.

The cons -
    * 2nd place in my bracket, which was again full, went to a one star player. Why are those awards STILL available to a brand new player?
    * WAY too much time investment.
    * Having 20 points be the new low point, the grind-y element for competitive success is pretty large. Though to be fair, I did not have to do much of this in my particular slice.

Overall, this seems a stronger setup than the current PVE format, but at the end of the day real PVE would be a much better experience. As evidenced by the handful of events that fit into that category.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH - why is a 1* player pulling down 2nd place?
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    My bracket in s4 for final scores:
    1. 88397
    2. 82819 - Me
    3. 77645
    4. 76370
    5. 75491
    6. 74032
    7. 73659
    8. 73358
    9. 72136
    10. 71935

I would like this format without the 20 point grind. If they use this same format with 20 point grinds for a new character release, we will see more crazies out there.