Finally able to beat Gauntlet, and then...

Gryffle
Gryffle Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So my roster is now good enough that I am finally able to beat Gauntlet for the first time ever. Great! Except I haven't been able to beat Gauntlet this time. Why? Because one little node right at the end of the event requires me to have four-star Venom. I do not have four-star Venom.

I like Gauntlet. Granted, the scaling was way messed up at first this time around, but in general I like an event that tests you against increasingly difficult match-ups with no pressure to grind and a good reward at the end. I think a single four-star cover is probably just barely enough of a reward for the time and effort required to get through it, but it's a fun event and honestly I'll take any non-competitive chance at a four-star that I can get. But when I fight my way to the very end of the event and only then discover that a single node is uncompletable because I lack a particular character, that's massively frustrating.

I mean, I'm not totally against required character nodes in regular PVE. At least there I can see straight away if I have the right characters and adjust my expectations for scoring accordingly (if I even attempt PVE at all, which as time goes by I'm less and less inclined to do). In Gauntlet, though, the challenge is meant to be in getting past really tough nodes to the top of the mountain. That I'm arbitrarily locked out from taking the final step and the big prize feels like a huge ripoff.

I'm a casual player. I've spent a little money on the game in the past, but I can't keep up with the frantic schedule of new-release four-star characters, and... honestly, I'm cool with that. But to be denied the only prize I was really playing for in this event for no good reason... sucks.

Following on from this very timely thread, I'm a three-star player trying to transition to four-stars. My rewards for playing need to reflect that!

Comments

• jdoe893
    jdoe893 Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    perhaps you should check at the
    event rewards --> event rules --> powered-up this event to know which characters are essential
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, surprising that there was only one venom node. Sucks though! Condolences!
  • Gryffle
    Gryffle Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    jdoe893 wrote:
    event rewards --> event rules --> powered-up this event to know which characters are essential

The "powered up" characters for this event are: 4* Venom, Loki, 2* Daken. There are no Daken required nodes. There are Beast and Squirrel Girl required nodes. The Venom node appears at the end of a string of Loki nodes. How was I supposed to know?
  • jdoe893
    jdoe893 Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Gryffle wrote:
    jdoe893 wrote:

The "powered up" characters for this event are: 4* Venom, Loki, 2* Daken. There are no Daken required nodes. There are Beast and Squirrel Girl required nodes. The Venom node appears at the end of a string of Loki nodes. How was I supposed to know?
    hey man,sorry if i understand you wrongly but i thought the main point you brought up was about not knowing venom was a required character
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    jdoe893 wrote:

The Gauntlet is a little "special" regarding who's powered-up and who's essential, I'm not sure why that is.

Typically, first 3 who are powered-up will be your essentials in all other events.

Gauntlet's weird and doesnt list them properly or something. 2* Daken wasnt an essential but Squirrel Girl was... who knows why.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    jdoe893 wrote:
    Gryffle wrote:
    jdoe893 wrote:

hey man,sorry if i understand you wrongly but i thought the main point you brought up was about not knowing venom was a required character

I think the main point was that the venom node was hidden at the very end of what started as Loki nodes (why do that?). Thankfully I had Venom, but I think the OP is absolutely right. Those first 2 Loki nodes were very close to a complete waste of time for him - since he can't get the final reward w/o Venom.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    OJSP wrote:

Having said that, if you've been in the forum since September last year, didn't you hear about the uproar every time the Gauntlet has been run since then (or at least the discussion in the event's threads)? That last essential node always requires a 4*: Invisible Woman, Mr.Fantastic, Deadpool, then Hulkbuster (They were all the Powered-up 4* for the event (not from the weekly list)).

In those uproars, do you recall any mention of why they would do such a thing?

We all know the technology exists to label a node, they do it in nearly every other story event. I do not mind the mystery of discovering who the opponent will be for non-essentials, but essentials should be labeled so people are having fun instead of getting needlessly frustrated (at the very end when they should be getting the payoff for the effort).
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    And this is why I keep one of everyone...
  • mazerat
    mazerat Posts: 118
    I dislike that aspect of the Gauntlet for sure. The game should be harder if you don't collect 'em all--not undoable. I think Civil War was a good step in that direction for Alliance events and non-Heroic PvE events are pretty well set up but it sucks that the Gauntlet is like that.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I totally agree with the OP.

In my opinion, you can't compare 'normal' PVE required 4* nodes to Gauntlet nodes, because in term of reaching progression rewards, in normal PVE you can 'work around' the missing 4* by beating other nodes a few more times than would otherwise be required. In the gauntlet, such a thing is impossible.

With the ever growing 4* character pool, this problem will only get worse.
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    This post is why people who say "you don't have to try get all the characters" are wrong.
    To complete content they have 'all' been made essential or will be made essential at some point.

Depending on the difficulty this emphasises why you even need to put iso into them to make them play-viable.