Red/Blue Planeswalker Potential Deck

Options
sageofhalo451
sageofhalo451 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
Looking ahead the concept of a mixed color planeswalker is obviously on the table now with Kiora being included.

So I naturally thought of a nasty combo that could be done with a red/blue deck.

The idea is an expansion of the Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper blue deck that pumps him up to very high power and toughness through the use of cheap <= 3 mana cost spells and Day's Undoing which would make them free. Using the cheap card draw spells extends the chain casting.

The addition is the use of Avaricious Dragon from the red cards that would reduce drawn card cost by 3. Suddenly any card drawn by Day's Undoing up to a cost of 6 will be automatically cast. Options like Exquisite Firecraft casting for free become a real option. With an effective cost reduction of 6, Day's Undoing becomes "free" and the chaincasting can be perpetuated to great lengths. Talent of the Telepath also becomes "free" when drawn by DU and helps with perpetuating the chain if desired.

Zada, Hedron Grinder can be included and the assortment of spells chosen could sway more towards the buff spells in the red and blue decks to capitalize on his +6/+6 for all creatures until end of turn effect. You could even hit him with a direct damage spell after he gets buffed once or twice and turn a 6 damage Exquisite Firecraft into 12-18 damage depending on what's out on the board.

As you can see this gets quickly out of hand and massive damage can be dealt rather quickly.

Obvious counters are disable, destroy creature, and bounce mechanics. Having a Scab-Clan Berserker on the board against you could be dangerous but there should be enough direct damage from the red spells to keep that to a minimum. Day's Undoing also helps keep the opponent's mana drained out by cycling their hand.

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques? Other crazy combo idea's?

Comments

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been looking forward to the idea of a red/blue deck too.

First thing to note in your idea is that unfortunately Zada's effect currently doesn't boost himself unlike what the card suggests. It only boosts the other creatures and either the text or the effect hasn't been corrected so this causes some confusion.

Secondly I think while the impact of Avaricious Dragon is sweet, it may be too expensive for the deck if the planeswalker doesn't have Chandra/Nissa cascading/ramp capabilities. Only an actual test can tell of course.

I'd say you need to include Soulblade Djinn as well to truly get the maximum boost out of the spells. Then you could actually use burn spells on Zada to boost your creatures. So perhaps something like:

1. Zada, Hedron Grinder
    2. Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
    3. Soulblade Djinn
    4. Avaricious Dragon
    5. Exquisite Firecraft
    6. Turn Against
    7. Talent of the Telepathy
    8. Day's Undoing
    9. Sure Strike
    10. Fiery Bloodlust

*edit*
    Too many good spells in red and blue. Other possible spells to include are
    Coastal Discovery (increase draw, possibly replace Sure Strike/Turn Against)
    Clutch of Currents (bounce)
    Ravaging Blaze (more burn)
  • zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ral Zarek would be a nice addition!
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Options
    did they fix zadas skill? if i remember correctly before his skill wouldnt trigger on himself only other creatures
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nope they didn't. Still triggering only on the other creatures. Text still says all your creatures.