Thor + Hulk Civil War

Tryke
Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So Thor and Hulk were not in the Civil War movie most likely for scheduling reasons. Conceptually though, which side do you think these two would be on (MCU only)?

I think that the philosophies they agree with are actually opposite the side they would be on.

icon_thor.png Thor and Tony have some opposition in the films, but I think Thor would also agree with the ordered nature of the registration.

icon_hulk.png Bruce and Tony have the whole science bros thing going on, but I think Bruce would highly value his freedom as well.

Which team do you guys think they would be on?

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tryke wrote:
    So Thor and Hulk were not in the Civil War movie most likely for scheduling reasons. Conceptually though, which side do you think these two would be on (MCU only)?

I think that the philosophies they agree with are actually opposite the side they would be on.

icon_thor.png Thor and Tony have some opposition in the films, but I think Thor would also agree with the ordered nature of the registration.

icon_hulk.png Bruce and Tony have the whole science bros thing going on, but I think Bruce would highly value his freedom as well.

Which team do you guys think they would be on?

You don't know Thor AT ALL if you think he would side with Tony. Thor doesn't care about any law different than his will, he acts whenever he wants to, if he thinks he is needed he will act, he is not going to wait until some politician gives him permission.

Bruce probably also with Cap. One important consideration is that he 'hates' Ross.

This is probably one reason why both weren't in the movie, Hulk and Thor in the side of Cap would have make everything quite easy for him icon_razz.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wasn't Thor dead during the CW storyline in the books?
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Polares wrote:

You don't know Thor AT ALL if you think he would side with Tony. Thor doesn't care about any law different than his will, he acts whenever he wants to, if he thinks he is needed he will act, he is not going to wait until some politician gives him permission.

Bruce probably also with Cap. One important consideration is that he 'hates' Ross.

This is probably one reason why both weren't in the movie, Hulk and Thor in the side of Cap would have make everything quite easy for him icon_razz.gif

I was going to say this as well. As if THOR would care what anyone on earth thought of his actions.

I think Bruce is up in the air. He might be all for civilian oversight. Of course how exactly do civilians over see anything Hulk would do.... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wasn't Thor dead during the CW storyline in the books?

Yep. Made a clone, Rags.
  • ShadowX1984
    ShadowX1984 Posts: 59
    When this comes up in the movie even Tony concedes that the Hulk would probably be on Cap's team.
  • CubRob
    CubRob Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Thor and Hulk are in Asgard. It will be the subject of Thor: Ragnarok next year.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Banner wouldn't trust any government entity to make choices for him. His entire motivation as a character is reluctance - there's no way he would voluntarily put himself into a situation where he would be someone's "good little soldier". That said, the way Hulk has been written over the years suggests that if he were to be part of the Civil War storyline, it would be as an unwilling participant in the first place, so Tony could plausibly be seen making the decision to force Hulk onto his side somehow.

Thor wouldn't respect any government at all. The whole reason he was dead during the original storyline was because the premise of a government trying to control the God of Thunder's actions doesn't make sense. Thor is motivated by nobility and honor and righteousness, and doesn't give a thought to consequences. The notion of submitting to any kind of oversight would seem like a joke to him, and honestly, with him on Cap's side, it would be a joke. And if, somehow, they did get Thor to take the idea seriously, he would take it *extremely* badly. There'd be none of the "but I don't want to fight my friends" issues that all the other characters have. The idea is so antithetical to Thor's idea of right-ness that he'd be very prepared to just call it betrayal from the start and wipe out Washington.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I'm posting this not so much because it's what *I* believe as to present an alternate perspective on Thor and his views on order. The points above all make sense - Thor's not likely to submit to government oversight - but one possible wrinkle is the behavior of the Thors in Secret Wars. There, they served as God Doom's police force and undoubtedly were servants of law and order. Now it's true they were serving a (much) bigger god, but they could as easily have indulged their warlike tendencies and fought back until he swatted them down (spoilers: that eventually happens, but it takes a big revelation to get there), and they didn't.

Point being: Thor respects power, and he's (they've?) been shown to serve it. Whether he'd see that kind of power in Tony Stark's "side," I'm not going to speculate, but there IS precedent for him taking that side, not only Cap's merry band of outlaws.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    In Ultron, Thor takes off for parts unknown and Hulk steers the plane out to the ocean, so that's why they aren't in CW.
    Thor returns in Ragnarok, and Hulk co-stars.
  • tiger92882
    tiger92882 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I think it is important to the storyline that Hulk and Thor aren't in Civil War(in the comics as well as the movie) because whichever side they chose would be OP.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiger92882 wrote:
    I think it is important to the storyline that Hulk and Thor aren't in Civil War(in the comics as well as the movie) because whichever side they chose would be OP.

Same reason Stark didn't think to bring Hulkbuster along.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Allow me to have a counter-opinion:
    Banner clearly believes in the need for a check on the Hulk's power. He tried to end his own life (Avengers 1), and helped Stark design a countermeasure ("Veronica"/Hulkbuster - Avengers 2). While mistrustful of SHIELD, he is clearly afraid of his own strength.

Thor, on the other hand, consistently revels in his abilities. He enjoys fighting. He shows disdain for human authorities until they earn his respect. He also realizes Cap is the most worthy person on the team other than Vision (Avengers 2). He defies his own father when he thinks he is wrong.

So, Banner is team Stark, and Thor is team Cap, IMHO.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with Nellobee.

As much as Hulk hates a governing body, it's Banner's guilt and conscience that will have him by Tony's side. Though it probably means Banner can never turn into the Hulk otherwise he would just SMASH.

I actually think Thor will sit this one out and just observe. The matter doesn't really affect him and he'll probably end up being the enforcer and joins in to battle whoever is overly oppressive on either side. He craves a challenge after all.

The real question is Nick Fury. The avengers was his initiative. Kinda wonder which side he will be on. I see arguments for both sides.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Fury is #teamcap. The only authority he believes he needs is himself. icon_e_smile.gif he has seen the Authority figures over him try to nuke Manhattan, be co-opted by Hydra, etc. He left Coulson in charge of SHIELD. He thinks Stark is unstable (correctly).

I think Fury believes in people, not institutions. An odd thing for the director of SHIELD, but there ya go.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fury was on Team IM during the first run. (I know because I used him to nuke down Cap in all 8 rounds.)
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Both characters were omitted in the comics - I've read that it was because they were too powerful and would screw the storyline up. Hulk got blasted off to Planet Hulk. I guess Thor was dead.

That said, I don't think either would choose a side. Bruce would default to Cap because he'd know the registration agency would collar him and try to control Hulk (in his eyes, likely to nefarious gain). But he wouldn't fight for them - Hulk's gonna be Hulk. Hulk smash.

Thor is just too alien to see it as anything but a pithy argument. He comes from a place full of gods. Everyone's powered, so registering powered individuals would be a foreign concept to him. He'd be all - "Why yes, I have a benevolent hammer that creates storms and only works for me. It's right here. What of it?" So I guess he'd default to Stark, but just because he doesn't really give a ****. He's already "out" and doesn't see why everyone shouldn't be.