PvP annoyance

Banjo
Banjo Posts: 59 Match Maker
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Seriously, I just need to vent.

What is it with shields?
I shielded earlier in the Cold War pvp. I got attacked a couple of times over the next hour or so, gaining me a total of 4 points.

I broke shields needing 70 points for the 1300 reward. I won my first fight quickly, I won my 2nd fight quickly. My points total changed to 1301.

Then I got the screen showing I'd been attacked several times, help yourself to -183 points, no 25 CP for you Billy-o! Despite my tally going up to 1301 in the first instance.

So how long after shielding is it safe-ish to break shields? Because I'm a bit miffed that 2 fights was half a fight too many.

Comments

• mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Generally speaking 30-45 minutes is usually plenty of time to wait for people to clear you out of their cache. However if you hop anytime in the last hour or so of the event and then try to break shield at the end, you could be in for a world of hurt. Chances are good that someone queued you during your earlier hop and if you're worth decent points they will save you to hit at the end to try to improve their score. You don't mention that it was the end of the event, but as you're posting it now I'm a bit suspicious.

The other thing is that as you get closer and closer to the end of the event you need to be faster and faster with your hops since the volume of players actively playing is increasing until the end. It may just be that despite how fast you were someone with 5* was doing a late climb and just happened to find you at the wrong moment.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I think you're asking how long you can stay un-shielded for. If not, that's probably a more relevant question. The answer depends on your roster strength and points total but generally when I'm "hopping", i dont like to stay out for more than a few minutes. Sometimes that's enough for 3 fights, sometimes just one. If you're un-shielded with some 3-star characters, you're going to be a juicy target.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Banjo wrote:
    So how long after shielding is it safe-ish to break shields? Because I'm a bit miffed that 2 fights was half a fight too many.
    yeah, that's going to depend on a lot of variables. I usually give it about an hour after I shield to let all the retals and guys who queued me get through their hits, but it can always accidentally line up with someone else deciding to retal. more likely it was your team showing up in fresh queues when you broke at 1230 pts, which can be an attractive score to hit. how long you can stay unshielded before hits come in is dependent on 1) the strength of your team that you're fielding and 2) the relative strength of those who happen to queue you. truthfully, unless you're fielding full level 5*s, any team can get hit by many different players. 2 fights of full teams is usually questionable. sometimes ok, sometimes not. 2 fights on cakes is usually always safe. 1 fight of reasonable length against a full team is usually always safe. anything more than that (1 against full team or 2 cakes and risks go up). its all risk/reward and managing those successfully. I had 3 hops (4 shields) and event end. of those 4 hops, I got 3 cakes in 3 of the 4. I got hit during one, but made it through the others ok. barely made t25 with just over 2K. if you're in 3 or 4, you might try cycling your queues just a little to try and find an easier team icon_e_wink.gif
  • Banjo
    Banjo Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Meh, I think I'm more annoyed at that brief moment of time when my score showed as 1301. If I hit it, I should get rewarded for it - regardless of if I immediately drop back following attacks or not.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Banjo wrote:
    Meh, I think I'm more annoyed at that brief moment of time when my score showed as 1301. If I hit it, I should get rewarded for it - regardless of if I immediately drop back following attacks or not.
    I have had this happen to me once too. It might help to check the leaderboard - it forces the game to contact the server and thus register your score.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you didn't get the progression reward, checking the leaderboard won't trigger it. In that case, the game already "knows" your score stayed below the threshold and you're experiencing a display lag. Checking the board should update your displayed score to its proper value, though.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Firstly, once I'm above 1,000 I stay out for 3 cakes or 2 brownies (assuming you have a descent A-Team)

Secondly, I don't think there is a absolute way to force a server update but CS did compensate me once before for having a screen shot of the rewards page which showed my score (1000+) and the reward not being earned. Not surprisingly when i went back a screen the attack registered (properly).
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not a high level player. 1K is a obout my rosters limit in PvP but I've found that if I can get within 40 points of my target before I shield THEN only unshield when there's 10 mins remaining then I'll make progression and not get hit since most are shielded at that time anyway.