Idea to help New Players - Booster Pack Vaults

Stax the Foyer
Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
As more and more characters get added to the game, it becomes more and more difficult for a new or transitioning player to catch up to the developed rosters. This was exacerbated by the move from HP cover purchases to CP cover purchases.

I understand the reasoning behind these design decisions, but as a player with a very strong roster, I feel bad for the players who don't have the same opportunities that I did when I was starting out. It feels like the rope has been pulled up behind me, and the 4* transition is now very luck-dependent.

I think that the vault system offers a possible way to provide occasional one-time deals that will give players a focused boost to a given character. Here's what I'm picturing:

A small short-term vault, with 3 items total. Most of the time, it's a 3* vault, and occasionally, there's a 4* vault instead of the 3* vault. Each vault contains three covers for a specific character, one of each color. I'm picturing a 3* vault twice a week, and a 4* vault every two weeks, but these could be more or less frequent.

This vault cannot be reset, and there are no daily deals. Once the covers have been taken out, they're gone. For a 3* vault, it could cost 200 HP for a single pull, or 500 HP for a three-pull to buy the entire vault. For a 4* vault, it would cost 500 HP for a single pull, or 1000 HP to buy the entire vault.

This will accomplish several things, which are beneficial to both the players and the developers:

1) It'll allow people to get at least one cover of each color, allowing them to finish the character with CP purchases if they choose to do so.

2) It'll encourage HP purchases. You can't whale characters with HP, but you can give them a boost.

3) It'll encourage roster slot sales. When a good vault comes around, you can get a head start on a character that you're excited to have.

These booster pack vaults would allow you to give a single character a burst of targeted progression. This would temper somewhat the effect of increased randomness in character progression, especially at the 4* stage, since the lack of widespread 4* PvP means that there's no high-percentage packs for a given character after their initial PvP. Even if these were only occasional special event booster pack vaults, I think they'd be a great, community friendly feature that would spur widespread buying. Imagine a 4* JG booster pack vault. I think you'd see a ton of small purchases, and that's good for the game.