Know when to fold them

mrPuzzleQuester
mrPuzzleQuester Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
For those who have been increasing frustrated at this game - and there are lots of things to be frustrated about - I think you should seriously consider quitting as an option. We’ve all spent countless hours playing and some have spent quite a bit of money as well which makes it hard to just walk away but at the same time why do something that frustrates you? At the very least scale back your play, $$$ spent, or just stop chasing everything and be OK with missing a cover or two.

Is it time to walk away or take a step back in your play? Consider these bad signs:

You're consistently experiencing more frustration than reward.
With any situation, you have take the bad with the good. But if your experience is overwhelmingly negative for a long period of time, you have to consider leaving or some radical change. (RNG anyone…)

Spending time on this keeps you from more rewarding endeavors or seriously damages your well-being.
It's a huge red flag if your current situation is taking a toll on your mental and/or physical health. (PVE I’m looking at you…)

If it’s supposed to be fun, but it’s not

Getting started—even on things you really want to do—can require a huge amount of effort. But if it’s the right investment of your time, you usually end up enjoying the process, feeling accomplished when you’re done, or at least appreciating the results. However, if you keep at an optional activity for a month or more and don’t experience any reward for your efforts, it may be time to call it quits. Just because you started something, doesn’t mean you have to finish it, especially when you took it on primarily as a source of fun and pleasure. (Is there even an end to this game?)

If more effort produces little value

If you’ve extracted the value you needed from a particular pursuit, spending additional energy on it can waste your time. In other words: the law of diminishing returns. (This has crit boosts written all over it)

You care too much

This is otherwise known as “addiction.” Signs of addiction may be thinking obsessively about work, sacrificing time with family and friends, constantly checking your email, never feeling at rest, etc. If your life is completely overrun by work( MPQ), perhaps it’s time to set some boundaries. This doesn’t necessarily mean quitting your job(MPQ) though it could, but rather, quitting the idea that your value is dependent on how busy you are(what cover you have). It’s simply not.

Does any of this sound like you? Then it might be time to slow it down a bit or walk away completely - at least for a short bit. We've all seen the "I quit posts" and they seem to happen more often - if you're quitting maybe post a copy of it here too - maybe in a few months we'll have an archive of all the fallen MPQ players.

TLDR: Quit, or don’t - what do I care?

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems to be a lot of people threatening to quit these days.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    mpqr7 wrote:

People are ALWAYS threatening to quit.... But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind too after the past two days.
  • mrPuzzleQuester
    mpqr7 wrote:

Personally, I'm not quitting - I play casually in PVP and the occasional PVE. Enough to collect some iso, DDP covers, and that's really it.

I wanted to post so others who are thinking of quitting can reflect on whether the frustrations this game can have on a person is worth the trouble.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moving to Off Topic on 05/11
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Tatercat wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

People are ALWAYS threatening to quit.... But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind too after the past two days.

Based solely on the lower alliance scores to finish top 100 and the complete lack of variety in people that I can queue in PvP, I think a lot of people are actually quieting. I know I read that list and all of those fit the way I feel. I didn't quit at the beginning of the last season due to the new matching making system introduced and I didn't quit at the beginning of this season due to getting a bunch of 5* covers I wanted the past season. It's on my mind every time I play now so it might be time to put my cards down and walk away from the table.
  • mrPuzzleQuester
    Malcrof wrote:
    Moving to Off Topic on 05/11

Is that a final decision or can I edit it to bring it back on topic for General Discussion?
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I've been playing almost a year. I have spent around $80 on this game. My roster is just now getting to the point where I have a couple championed 3* and a bunch in the "usable" range of 10-12 covers. Still no usable 4*.

I know that the way the game is currently structured and at my current pace, there is no way I will ever keep up with the high end. I like the license and the game play enough to try an find ways to keep it entertaining. I see new characters like Iron Man and War Machine and would love to use them, but I'm not going to spend the time and money this game requires for that. Post Civil War I'm doing the DDQ and doing PvP events in order to get the sub-800 rewards. I'm not spending HP on shields.

I have also decided not to try and roster all 40 3* characters. There are about 30 that I really like.

It's disappointing to know that all the new 5* characters are essentially out of reach. By the time they are usable on my roster the game will probably be on 10*. The last few weeks it feels like the game is a microcosm of capitalism. The rich whales are extending their lead (thanks in large part to the way the game is currently designed) while the general masses have to either put in a ton of time or money to even begin to approach the highest levels. It is what it is, and I'm just going to play the game my way and not worry about the 5* rewards that are out of reach. It's the only way I can continue to enjoy the game.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards

If lots of people quit, devs stop producing anything or supporting game.

If you like the game, you should hope no-one quits.

If devs like their jobs, they should shape the game to keep players.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    I'd like to say I play casually, not really competing for high honours (but if I'm close, I'll give it an extra push), still I feel exhausted. I kinda hoped that I would able to replay some old story missions at my own leisure.
  • mrPuzzleQuester
    SnowcaTT wrote:

If lots of people quit, devs stop producing anything or supporting game.

If you like the game, you should hope no-one quits.

If devs like their jobs, they should shape the game to keep players.

I agree but it starts with the Devs.

They should give their users a reason to support them otherwise people will stop playing. The question is how will they react when people stop playing - will they double down on things that drove people to quit or will they take some of the player base's feedback into their development roadmap?

We as players can only offer some direction but ultimately they are the ones driving this game.
  • Rob82092
    Rob82092 Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    I'm not quitting, but the recent issues (scaling being a pretty key part) have meant I have made an active decision not to make in-game purchases which I had planned to.

I consider that to be a pretty bad sign, as I normally spend relevant (but not whale tier) amounts when I choose to put money in.

If things don't improve, I won't make further purchases, which has a knock-on effect as my friends/family who also play will follow suit.

Speaking of, recent events are demoralising my alliance. I know there's a forum already for this, but holla at me via PM or Twitter if you've got an alliance who wants a couple extra active 3* Champ 4* transition people for the next CW event. Twitter is same as IGN & Forum name icon_e_smile.gif
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not quitting. Still have hope for the game.

What I'm not doing is supporting the game with IAPs anymore. Not until some movement in the right direction is made at least.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those who have been increasing frustrated at this game - and there are lots of things to be frustrated about - I think you should seriously consider quitting as an option. We’ve all spent countless hours playing and some have spent quite a bit of money as well which makes it hard to just walk away but at the same time why do something that frustrates you? At the very least scale back your play, $$$ spent, or just stop chasing everything and be OK with missing a cover or two.

Is it time to walk away or take a step back in your play? Consider these bad signs:

You're consistently experiencing more frustration than reward.
    With any situation, you have take the bad with the good. But if your experience is overwhelmingly negative for a long period of time, you have to consider leaving or some radical change. (RNG anyone…)

Spending time on this keeps you from more rewarding endeavors or seriously damages your well-being.
    It's a huge red flag if your current situation is taking a toll on your mental and/or physical health. (PVE I’m looking at you…)

If it’s supposed to be fun, but it’s not

Getting started—even on things you really want to do—can require a huge amount of effort. But if it’s the right investment of your time, you usually end up enjoying the process, feeling accomplished when you’re done, or at least appreciating the results. However, if you keep at an optional activity for a month or more and don’t experience any reward for your efforts, it may be time to call it quits. Just because you started something, doesn’t mean you have to finish it, especially when you took it on primarily as a source of fun and pleasure. (Is there even an end to this game?)

If more effort produces little value

If you’ve extracted the value you needed from a particular pursuit, spending additional energy on it can waste your time. In other words: the law of diminishing returns. (This has crit boosts written all over it)

You care too much

This is otherwise known as “addiction.” Signs of addiction may be thinking obsessively about work, sacrificing time with family and friends, constantly checking your email, never feeling at rest, etc. If your life is completely overrun by work( MPQ), perhaps it’s time to set some boundaries. This doesn’t necessarily mean quitting your job(MPQ) though it could, but rather, quitting the idea that your value is dependent on how busy you are(what cover you have). It’s simply not.

Does any of this sound like you? Then it might be time to slow it down a bit or walk away completely - at least for a short bit. We've all seen the "I quit posts" and they seem to happen more often - if you're quitting maybe post a copy of it here too - maybe in a few months we'll have an archive of all the fallen MPQ players.

i thought this was against the rules of the board telling people to stop spending money and stop supporting the game
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just spent $19 on Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the PS3, I can play that over and over again and gain endless hours of entertainment for years to come as long as I own my PS3. I owned it on PS2 as well, but I loaned it to my brother and he lost it. Even purchasing it twice, for less than the cost of 1 Micro-transaction in MPQ, I have had enjoyment over the years from a game that even if Squaresoft/Enix had gone out of business (though they haven't) I would still be able to play it and enjoy it over and over.

Micro-transactions are part of free-to-play.

Micro-
    adjective
    extremely small.
    minute in scope or capability.

I don't see a $20, $50, or $100 purchase as a micro-transaction, not to mention the actual in-game currency value of some of those are not very well proportioned to the real-world counterparts.

Personally, if the quality of my gaming experience drops because I have chosen to not do MACRO-transactions, then I will have to stop playing. I get more value from a real life purchase of a game as stated above that I can play countless times whenever I want without ever incurring another cost. My one time limit is $20.

With this game, there is no transaction in the game that fits within my allocated $20, that will provide me enough in-game benefit to make it worth actually spending. $100 won't level one character... what is $20 going to do?

So for me, it all boils down to game play. If they make it too difficult that I can't keep up with my roster using reasonable (subjective) game-play, then I have to concede based upon my sense of effort to value. I will bang my head against a wall if it's drywall knowing that eventually my head will win and the drywall will break. I cannot guarantee the same for a brick wall... so I won't bang my head on it. Right now the game is putting up drywall walls, but recently they are stacking bricks behind it, and they've almost reached 5'-11".

This article references micro transactions as between $1-10 each.
    http://esportsedition.com/news/does-siz ... jor-games/

Article on the impact of microtransactions on a person's status in game:
    http://www.ijis.net/ijis10_1/ijis10_1_evers_et_al.pdf

FYI: Great article here: http://www.gamesparks.com/blog/micro-transactions/
  • mazerat
    mazerat Posts: 118
    Yesterday the lead designer of Magic: The Gathering posted an article talking about mistakes he'd made. And one of the first ones was where he created a set that was designed just to go against conventional wisdom and he had this really apropos quote to say about it:
    As a game designer, you have a lot of power because you can encourage your players to do whatever the game wants them to do. Players will win even at the cost of doing something they don't enjoy. The problem is that the players have an even greater power than yours—they can stop playing your game. If you don't make the game enjoyable for them, they'll move on to a game that does.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    I just spent $19 on Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the PS3, I can play that over and over again and gain endless hours of entertainment for years to come as long as I own my PS3. I owned it on PS2 as well, but I loaned it to my brother and he lost it. Even purchasing it twice, for less than the cost of 1 Micro-transaction in MPQ, I have had enjoyment over the years from a game that even if Squaresoft/Enix had gone out of business (though they haven't) I would still be able to play it and enjoy it over and over.

Micro-transactions are part of free-to-play.

Micro-
    adjective
    extremely small.
    minute in scope or capability.

I don't see a $20, $50, or $100 purchase as a micro-transaction, not to mention the actual in-game currency value of some of those are not very well proportioned to the real-world counterparts.

Personally, if the quality of my gaming experience drops because I have chosen to not do MACRO-transactions, then I will have to stop playing. I get more value from a real life purchase of a game as stated above that I can play countless times whenever I want without ever incurring another cost. My one time limit is $20.

With this game, there is no transaction in the game that fits within my allocated $20, that will provide me enough in-game benefit to make it worth actually spending. $100 won't level one character... what is $20 going to do?

So for me, it all boils down to game play. If they make it too difficult that I can't keep up with my roster using reasonable (subjective) game-play, then I have to concede based upon my sense of effort to value. I will bang my head against a wall if it's drywall knowing that eventually my head will win and the drywall will break. I cannot guarantee the same for a brick wall... so I won't bang my head on it. Right now the game is putting up drywall walls, but recently they are stacking bricks behind it, and they've almost reached 5'-11".

This article references micro transactions as between $1-10 each.
    http://esportsedition.com/news/does-siz ... jor-games/

Article on the impact of microtransactions on a person's status in game:
    http://www.ijis.net/ijis10_1/ijis10_1_evers_et_al.pdf

FYI: Great article here: http://www.gamesparks.com/blog/micro-transactions/

Well said JV. I pay for lots of games, but I can get lots of enjoyment for those payments. The payments here would have to be enormous before they have any effect at all.

I finally installed Diablo 3 last week - and I've found myself missing LR's for a couple weeks in a row, so absorbed in a fun game that lets me constantly progress and use my shiny new drops to progress further!

How I wish this game would emulate that!
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Hello, Uncharted 4. You will have my undivided attention this week.

Bye Felecia!