Note to D3 - how to icrease the lifespan of the game

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
Here's a disclaimer: what I'm about to say will likely not be popular, until you really think about what I'm saying.

An exponential problem had been created with the invention of the 5* tier and is perpetuated with nearly every new character. They are too powerful. Which means to make the next one he has to be even more powerful to make people want them. This means of you're a 5* player you won't want to compete for the 4* prizes unless they have Pokemon syndrome. It also means the game gets dull when the answer to every fight is - have a more powerful character.

The Fix: the whole game needs to to be respecced into a big game of rock paper scissors. Every new character should be weak against an older character and strong against another. Good examples of this include quake great against JG awful against hb. They should have novel uses beyond - hits hard.

Why is this change good?
1. It means every new character has value and will be used. And therefore people will spend hp for roster slots - people like me who don't suffer Pokemon syndrome currently just sell whoever isn't useful.
2. It means we will both see new team combos in PvP and SIM and also use different team combos to combat these new teams we are facing.
3. As it means all new characters are useful it extends the life of the game for much much longer.

The game is called puzzle quest not power quest. Live up to the title and introduce the puzzle into this quest by making us think about team combos

Why will people hate this?
Because it means changing some current crowd pleasers to fit the new game style. I'm fully expecting everyone to get very mad at my suggestion of changing current meta gods as people really love just winning every match with ease by using the same team which nobody can beat.

Think LONG term here. It will be short term pain for a long term gain. I promise you'll all be happier in 4 months time if they made these changes.

That's me out , any suggestions feedback or abuse is invited

OLG

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    To a certain extent, there's already a rock, paper, scissor thing going on, isn't it? but, it's not too obvious because it's not common yet.

You've already mentioned Quake countering Jean Grey. Jean Grey works as a counter to Prof X (and to some extent GSBW, KK, Iron Fist or Scarlet Witch). Rulk could also be used to counter Jean Grey. Then Ice Man or X-23 could be used to counter Rulk. Any of them could lose to Hulkbuster or Cyclops. (Even older 4*s, when they're boosted, which I accept is due to the power creep that's difficult to prevent)

For OML, I think BSS is meant to be one of the counters, as he nullifies the strike tiles. Green Goblin is also a good one, because we could deny the 2 colours that would prevent OML from transforming and fuel his own power at the same time. At the same time, OML can still win against the other 2.

You're right but still we only see the same teams in PvP and that's becAuse certain teams have few (if any) draw backs against other opponents (ice is a good example) the effect should also be more pronounced. For example you mention BSS vs oml spidey counters his strikes but it should be more pronounced in my opinion - he should prevent healing. Then he's a real oml counter not just a strike tile counter.

You highlighted that cyke and hb can beat anyone - these types of character should be retooled so they can't beat everyone. There should not be a 1 character is best , it should be that they are all good against someone and all weak against someone instead we have 4cyke, ice and hb sitting around being able to beat anyone and the likes of cho Mr f and sue storm being good against nobody unless you're just messing about.

Thanks for the input healthy discussions are always good.
  • Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    I like the idea but it's far past that kind of retooling without being far too jarring. My solution is MPQ2. Base the storyline off of the all new Marvel U and let us start with a clean slate. I wouldn't want them to completely abandon this game right off the bat. Finish off the 5* tier with 15 characters and let it naturally die over the course of whatever. Or never if the demand holds. But a fresh start would be nice.
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Honestly, I would take any change to the game that is geared toward making it fun again. I find myself (and most will say just quit at this point) wanting an unlevel button so I can keep but turn my 5*'s that I have paid and worked for back to level 255. I am tired of oml this and oml that. It is so monotonous at this point. 100 slot roster doing nothing but using the same main guy(s) with the current boosted 4*'s and or required 3* in pvp. Fun is gone. Fun needs a come back! When people said 5*'s would ruin the game I was naive in thinking they were wrong and D3 would find a way to make it work. But obviously they were 100% correct considering the only thing that seems to be of focus is how to make it scaled to them which deletes the rest of your roster in essence.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Listening to the userbase about a year ago (before 5*'s and character flood was the only new content).

Now, I honestly believe it's to late. Also I think they may be intentionally trying to phase this game out and work on something new/different.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea but it's far past that kind of retooling without being far too jarring. My solution is MPQ2. Base the storyline off of the all new Marvel U and let us start with a clean slate. I wouldn't want them to completely abandon this game right off the bat. Finish off the 5* tier with 15 characters and let it naturally die over the course of whatever. Or never if the demand holds. But a fresh start would be nice.

sorry but i would never support a MPQ2 after putting all the cash in this game for them to just say.. we are closing but HEY LOOK you can put all your new cash into this game
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Problem is not only the overpowered teams and the only way to have a challenge for these teams is scaling scaling scaling, the other side is, who pays for this game.

In the moment the only people who really pay for this game are beginners (because game is feeling smooth, you feel progress, etc. scaling is no problem for them, until their roster is getting better) and the whales. I dont know how much someone is investing in this game to have championed 5*s, but it MUST be a lot (aside these people have full championed 4*s and of some a duplicate).

As the game is flooding us with new 4*s and 5*s its obvious for me, practically only the whales are paying, because you have to buy many packs/iso/hp to have them full covered and champ them. And this is the problem of freemium games i often observed. You get not much money from the new players, so you drench the whales to the last drip of money you can get from them. And then the game is dead at a certain point, because you get no new players and the whales get bored sometimes and move to the next game.

The solution is in my opinion: Get a broader playerbase which pays not as much as the whales, but a certain amount. And it mustnt be much, if many people pay and not only a few. So dont design a game only for the whales, which it is in the moment...
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Don't forget the huge ISO shortages guys! icon_lol.gif
  • Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    slidecage wrote:

sorry but i would never support a MPQ2 after putting all the cash in this game for them to just say.. we are closing but HEY LOOK you can put all your new cash into this game

That's a totally valid point but it's a reality in all games with microtransactions that eventually they die and you lose all your investment regardless of how much you spent. That said the longer I thought about it the more I started to disagree with myself that it should happen anytime in the near future. With some tweaking this game could easily stretch 2+ more years.