Gauntlet 2.0

Gmax101
Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
Posted this in the Gauntlet feedback thread....

There was a comment in that thread that asked, for me, what is the single most pertinent question regarding scaling in the Gauntlet

"Why does scaling even exist?" Surely a gauntlet with fixed levels and sensible rewards makes some kind of sense..

Sub 1 has rewards that cap at a 2* plus a token for the vault. (which might get them a lucky 3*/4*)

So why, in all that is good and holy should the challenges in that sub require anything more than an average 2* roster. This should be a sub that lets ALL players stretch that 2* star roster. The final levels should be at appoint where 2* star roster with un-championed 2*, but a couple of key characters approaching max level should be able to clear... and even grind for the rewards. In that scenario a random 4* at level 70 might actually be of benefit with higher match damage etc,

and the big guns... well they get to have a little fun as they fly through to open up Sub 2....

Rewards can be: Standard tokens, 70, 100 iso, boosts etc maybe some 250/500 on the highest nodes, even 25-50 HP towards roster slots. But no CP. This isn't the place for them.

Sub 2 gives rewards up to 3* plus tokens...

So here the name of the game is an average 3* roster should be able to clear/grind. With final levels featuring choice 4* at lower levels. So the 2* who unlocks it can work towards clearing it, knowing that each new node they clear is a step in the right direction, and opens them up to the slightly better iso rewards. Again, the big boys get to fly through and stretch the legs of their mid-tier roster... even have a some more actual FUN.

Rewards: 100/250/500 ISO maybe a couple of 1,000 on the highest/essential levels, odd standard tokens, 50-100 HP and start seeing CP... throw some Event Tokens as node rewards too

Sub 3 is all about champ 3* and 4* rosters.

A player with a championed 3 star roster, should, with favourable boosts be able to clear this sub, and earn the 4* cover. The 3* transitioner who manages to unlock the sub gets to earn a few higher quality rewards... but will always struggle to get much past the first spur. Getting in to this Sub should be something to work towards, dare I say an achievement for the player. It certainly felt like it when I first cracked in to it. Here the big boys get to test out all those 4*/3* Champ combos they wanted to try. Sure they can just power through with their high powered 5*, and that is ok.

Rewards: 250/500/1000 ISO, HP, Critical Boosts (because everyone loves them icon_e_smile.gif ), CP and Event Tokens

This is sort of what I originally thought the Gauntlet was... but the inclusion of scaling just makes no sense in that light.

So what about the challenge for the Big Guys, the Champ'd 4*/5* rosters. They need a separate Sub. The hardcore mother-Tinykitty Sub, the "only enter if you have the stones" Sub. The "Go Big or Go Home" sub. This should be the ultimate challenge in PVE MPQ... the most horrendous combinations designed to test the limits of championed 4* and make OML go crying to Jean Grey that the big boys stole his toys. But give those brave soles the rewards for going in: Legendary Tokens, chunks of ISO (2000+)

Make it so that every player looks at the Sub and wants to get in there... wants to say they earned the right to get the best rewards in the game. Yes this will widen the gap between the whales and the F2P players in the short term... but it will give everyone something to aim for. A true sense of accomplishment in a game that should not always be a walk in the park... Plus Whales will whale anyway icon_e_smile.gif

Now, I would like to see a Gauntlet-esque event made up of the first 3 subs running frequently, with different essentials and specific cover rewards. Give players the chance to earn their roster development.

Create three modes that run simutaneously....

True PVE - Progression only. Running a cycle of Gauntlet 2.0s to give true PVE players something to get their teeth in to, and maybe Boss Events to get Alliances excited. 4 week cycle:

Competitive PVE - the current event schedule... with progression and placement. With Scaling to try and balance between different roster strengths... this would also be where new characters would launch etc

PVP - As is (I would prefer leagues/tiers, but only one radical change per post icon_e_smile.gif )

With the legendary 4th Sub only showing up on occasion... something to get players fired up about. Get them talking about how to beat the latest nightmare...