undergrowth champion and damaging spells.

Options
tm00
tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
Playing the campaign with chandra, I noticed that undergrowth champion doesn't get -1/-1 when damaged by chandra's -9 ability or by a damage dealing spell.

Given the wording that was not what I was expecting to happen.
Am I missing something?

The burn spell was one of the 6 damage for 6 mana rare, the 4 damage to creature and walker rare, or the three damage for 6 mana common, I can't remember which one I used.

Comments

• Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the card is supposed to get -1/-1 every time a source of damage would damage it, not necessarily -1/-1 for each point of damage it would take. If it were the latter, the card wouldn't be a mythic.
  • tm00
    Options
    I was expecting that and that is what it does when it receives damage by blocking a creature, but it was a 4/4 and after I hit it with chandra's -9 ability it remained a 4/4 instead if becoming a 3/3.
    The same happened when I tried to target it with a burn spell
  • Plastic
    Options
    Which part of story mode plays this card? I'll try testing against it.
  • tm00
    Options
    Ulamog for sure and another one, probably breaker of armies or void winnower since I remember removing it quickly.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Played a match against it and I can confirm the bug
    In my case I casted scour three times(I had 3 stored just in case thanks to pyromancer googles) and all three had no effect beside turning gems to void.
    He did not get any -1/-1.
    With combat damage it worked as expected but my 3 creatures could just bring him down to 1/1 then on opponent turn full cascades + reinforce and is 10/10 icon_eek.gif
    I managed to win in the end but the bug makes him so resilient that is almost impossible to kill in normal circumstances.
    A fix is needed.
  • Plastic
    Options
    This guy can be the Embermaw Hellion of this patch if he really does just ignore spell effects.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Confirming the same bug. Ran into this card in two different quickbattles today. Chandra fatal burn didn't do any damage nor give it -1/-1 as the card language claims.

Auto lose when the AI lands a reach ability on this card.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I can also confirm this bug as well. Meteorite doesn't damage it when it is played and instead does NOTHING, not even -1/-1 to the Champion.
  • Melkor
    Melkor Posts: 1
    Options
    I have noticed the same issue when using "Reclaim." When I choose undergrowth champion as the creature to destroy, it is not destroyed, it does not lose 1/1 and I still get the 12 mana.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Melkor wrote:
    I have noticed the same issue when using "Reclaim." When I choose undergrowth champion as the creature to destroy, it is not destroyed, it does not lose 1/1 and I still get the 12 mana.

Mmmm, now I REALLY want an undergrowth champion.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Melkor wrote:
    Wait... WHAT?!

That should probably be addressed ASAP. Spend 12 mana, get that back and still have a 3/3 defender that can still regenerate 1/1 per landfall!
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just met an Undergrowth Champion in QuickBattle; My Smite The Monstrous had no effect on it, and The Great Aurora didn't affect it either.
  • Plastic
    Options
    JC said earlier they're aware of the bug. Thank god this card is a mythic and not a rare like Embermaw Hellion.
  • Swyftwynd
    Swyftwynd Posts: 13
    Options
    "Unstoppable Undergrowth Champion"

He is definitely scary to come up against...

I recently used Suppression Bonds and attempted to destroy him while disabled. At the best case scenario, full destruction with the unit disabled, perhaps the flavor text would be disabled also. Least case was to have -1/-1 applied to slow it's growth. Unfortunately the worst case occurred where no effect took place. icon_eek.gif

Even without this obvious bug.... this is a card to be scared to see in battle!
  • TheLaughingMann
    Options
    I hate this card cause I do not have it. When I come across one, either it'll make or break the match against me. More often it's been break. The wording on this card is so damned vague. I've used cards that would instakill monsters, but they have no effect on this card NOR do they decrease its power/toughness. Which means it has to be damage-based. =/ If I get one for my green deck, I'm sure I'll be even better with it. But without it, when I come across it. If I can't kill it with my usual bag of tricks, I just quit the match.