Who's harder? IM or Cap?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is there a consensus on which boss is harder?

5* cap is difficult, but manageable with IMHB boosted. But what about Cap? What's the ideal team for defeating him in round 8? Who are the good boosted 4*s?

Comments

• 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    IM is much, much, much better of a character.

Compare their ally generation abilities and it's not even a contest, Iron man is much harder, though if it didn't have the obnoxious "life of the party" style passive, it would be closer...
  • Vhailorx
    Agree that IM is much better if we talk about the player versions. But I am just asking about the boss versions. IM's yellow does seem cheap enough to be a real annoyance relative to Cap's passive CD tile. How strong to the summoned suits get in round 8?

And 3* falcon more or less completely negates the CD anyway (maybe Team cap members should be locked out of the Team IM side?)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Iron Man boss is much harder than the Cap boss. Cap's allies can easily be ignored while you focus on Cap. IM's allies force you to deal with them by jumping in front of heavy attacks.

Of course, a main reason why Cap is easier is because you can use a boosted Hulkbuster.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Orion wrote:
    The Iron Man boss is much harder than the Cap boss. Cap's allies can easily be ignored while you focus on Cap. IM's allies force you to deal with them by jumping in front of heavy attacks.

Of course, a main reason why Cap is easier is because you can use a boosted Hulkbuster.

All these points are accurate. The biggest pain in the **** for me is IM's blue ability. If your board is filled w/ red tiles and AI triggers the blue ability, it'll cause a massive cascade of red for heavy damage.

Additionally, having finished cap side and pushing round 4 of IM side in my alliance currently, I think the smaller nodes/missions are MUCH HARDER on IM's side. One of the essential survival nodes requires Hawkeye, and your team have to face a team of 5* on wave one. Ouch! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    We went team cap and I hit max progression and we finished round 8. I have no usable 5*,

Round 8 I used exclusively Thing(boosted)\xfdp(5 black,,3 purple covers)\teen jean. Won every time. Thing is a meat shield for when boss IM makes a match which triggers xfdp black. Xfdp purple at 3 covers won't trigger drones to jump to the front. And jg aoe hits boss IM over drones. Bonus if you can time it to fire things yellow protect tiles.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not to mention that nodes where Hulkbuster (or at least IM40) is essential for Team Iron Man, have Bucky as the essential for Team Cap which makes a rather distinct advantage in the later rounds.
  • Vhailorx
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Not to mention that nodes where Hulkbuster (or at least IM40) is essential for Team Iron Man, have Bucky as the essential for Team Cap which makes a rather distinct advantage in the later rounds.

I think the Bucky nodes equate to quake nodes on team IM.

Fact reains that one side having a boosted imhb and one side not having anything nearly that good is a huge disparity.
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Orion wrote:

I found that on Team Iron Man, if the ally Captain America gets is Sam Wilson Captain America (4*), you can't exactly ignore his ally, as Sam Wilson's shields (which he often gets to lay out rather more quickly than Sam Wilson Falcon for some reason) can "power up" Captain America's Coordinated Offensive and practically insta-down one of your team members.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Can't say about higher than level 6 IM.

But Cap has the potential to just one shot someone, if he gets lucky. Falcon comes out, and if he has enough yellow or purple to cast, he will. Board fills with shields, Cap Instakills someone, and heals himself for like 14 k.

Boom that attempt is finished. I have never come back from it.

Tony on the other hand... so far, fills the board with Charge tiles, Which hellp me. Needs yellow to summon meat suits, and that can be controlled. Has no passive AP generation, and you can even trick out his Blue. (Red is my strongest colour, and Kamala Khan just removed more than half of it.)

Or Just Area Damage his suits out. They don't have nearly as much health it seems. He's painful. But Not impossible. The NODES are impossible.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    IM can be beat pretty easily, although a long battle, with Switch, Prof X and Dakken (and my Prof X is 2 blue covers and 3 purple covers only). Get Prof invisible ASAP, then try and get as many strike tiles on the board before the other 2 die. The strike tiles grow with every match. I was one-shotting the drones at the end of many battles, but you have to outlast wave upon wave of drones to get there.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    IM tougher boss fight, no question.

Whether he's the better player character is debatable.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Huh... Just tried a Wonk team on Tony. Round7, so he's no slouch. Pitched it. Got someone else to try it, and Someone else.

Ten successes out of Ten. Assuming you have the right people and covers. Not even Levels. Tony is a cakewalk. Not so workable on Cap. But it's Pretty much flawless for Tony. PM me for the team, because Demiurge is bad about patching Hot fixes based on shared things on the forum.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Felt Cap was easier to deal with due to a) Fistbuster b) Iron Thoress (IM40, Thoress).

IM does have the angels which negates more damage (but nodes seemed harder)
  • Lboogie
    Lboogie Posts: 55
    Take away fistbuster and cap was tougher imo. That fortified countdown was a bugger and sometimes the toon that jumped in was a nuisance. Yeah house party was annoying but I whittled stark down with a invisible prof x just targeting the drones. To me cap had much more damaging moves
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    the secret against cap was revealed and it was ... 3 star falcon. boost b/p, make one blue match and then keep him off red. without a teammate or making tiles with red, he cant do anything but match damage.

mind you that adds up, but he has no other moves. ill certainly be doing team iron man in run 2. unless of course they do something to "fix" this.

never got beyond six with iron man so cant say much, but certainly aoe is your friend. iron man seems the tougher.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Neither boss has been too difficult, but fighting on team caps side was defiantly harder on the essentials. My 1 cover Hawkeye facing level 330 nodes is brutal, and my winter soldier at level 70 makes it 2 on 1 as well. On team IM I don't remember having to face odds like that.
  • Vhailorx
    I went through round 8 fighting Cap, and am now on Round 6 fighting IM.

I think IM is a noticeable bit more challenging as a boss. I think is mostly because (1) I don't have a boosted IMHB and (2) IF IM starts to get his moves off because of a lucky cascade that I couldn't prevent, then he becomes much harder to deal with. If Cap's CD resolves it doesnt often have a big impact. But those drones require significantly different tactics, so you have to plan for both.

But there are clearly successful strategies to employ against both, and neither is nearly as hard as galactus the first time (i.e. lose on round 4 unless you match away several cooldowns before they resolve).
  • theo199
    theo199 Posts: 79
    My wallet.
  • Ungoliant
    Ungoliant Posts: 29
    Did both bosses, and my Hulkbuster wasn't used much since he's under-leveled, but Iron Man felt harder - and that's because his Iron Legion keeps jumping in front of high damage, on top of that board shatter move he does.
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Played Team Cap first, then up to round 6 vs Cap. IM definitely the harder boss.

By round 8, House Party Protocol summoned 2x IMHB majority of the time with 10k+ health. Unlike Cap summons, these will jump in front to shield IM from attacks.
    For 6 red, IM fired a 4k damage move that generated 4 random charged tiles
    For 12 Blue, IM does red match damage (sometimes generating a crit), + damage from shattered red tiles after, generally doing about 10-11k nuke. Not many can sponge this hit.

The big difficulty difference is that you can target Cap and ignore his allies. No need to take down or stun the goons first. If Cap's allies jumped in to shield him from attacks, Cap would probably be just as difficult as IM.

My team is looking forward to an easier time playing Team IM next run of the event.