Retreat Should Stop Causing Damage

zodiac339
zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
The recent crashes in Deadpool's Daily Big Enchilada reminded me that this particular game mechanic is a problem that doesn't need to exist. The game can't tell the difference between a retreat, a disconnect, or a game crash. Beyond that issue, it's unnecessary to punish players for making a strategic retreat when things go wrong. It's already a loss (losing points in PVP as well as losing time and morale in any battle that goes wrong). Adding literal injury to insult adds an extra layer of unpleasantness to the game as a whole ("do I sit through the next minute of matches, hoping for an unlikely miracle and likely wipe, wasting time, or retreat and wipe anyway?"). Please fix two problems at once: let heroes retain current health with a retreat and it keeps them from being damaged when something outside their control breaks.

The crash is still frustrating, but I can tell you that another of your games, Adventure Time Puzzle Quest, doesn't have retreat damage. I've had it crash on me multiple times (for some reason, it's only PVP that bugs out on me) and it's annoying, but going back in and seeing that my characters aren't damaged in some relief.

Comments

• Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    What is it with kids wanting to have it easy?

You have to commit! Just get in there and do your best until your last man falls, or pay the price. If you didn't pay attention and you selected the wrong configuration, that's your fault, so why should you get off with no consequences? If you're against a team that's harder than anticipated, your loss. No running away and trying again with your "winning" combination.

But no, actually, your idea is fantastic. Let us retreat with no penalty. Now, excuse me while I just retreat over and over again until I have a certified 5-match in my opening screen so it'll go easier for me.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about this:

Retreat should cause no damage in the specific case where you haven't made any moves, and you've only retreated once per 6 hours.

So that will hopefully only occur when the games crash, and people won't use it to game the system icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    How about this:

Retreat should cause no damage in the specific case where you haven't made any moves, and you've only retreated once per 6 hours.

So that will hopefully only occur when the games crash, and people won't use it to game the system icon_e_biggrin.gif
    The problem was that people were on later waves of the Deadpool Daily survival mission when the game crashed. When they got back in, the heroes had retreat damage. It's not really "gaming the system". You still lost time, and maybe points, on top of damage incurred during the match. Removing the retreat damage is simply a quality of life change, along with a way to avoid a break in the game punishing the player.