Im vs cap..cheating or unbalanced point assignment?

chill21genlee
chill21genlee Posts: 61 Match Maker
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Can someone explain how i could max out at about 50k pts after burning the whole iron man node down...and yet when i look at players in the top alliances they have 80 to 90k+
Event just started..so they couldnt have played any more matches than me..

Is this cheating / clock manipulation or is the assignment of points just horribly broken and scaled?

The rosters of the players with 80 to 90k are very similar to mine, so what the tiny kitty gives with them having almost double the points after 1 node burn?

Comments

• JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Simple.

Each round, Cap/IM is worth more points. If you do all your clears on rounds 1 & 2 and someone does all theirs on 3, they'll have more points.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    Can someone explain how i could max out at about 50k pts after burning the whole iron man node down...and yet when i look at players in the top alliances they have 80 to 90k+
    Event just started..so they couldnt have played any more matches than me..

Is this cheating / clock manipulation or is the assignment of points just horribly broken and scaled?

The rosters of the players with 80 to 90k are very similar to mine, so what the tiny kitty gives with them having almost double the points after 1 node burn?

Because you probably beat round 1 and 2 of the boss and others beat round 4 every time. You get points based on the boss's health, so people that started later after their alliance cleared the early rounds will have more points than the early players.

**Edit: I started this event when my alliance had already gotten to round 4. I finished all of the nodes and now I have 95756 points.
  • chill21genlee
    Completely makes sense and thanks for the explanation! I will put away my jump to conclusion mat now....#redstapler
    Chronicler wrote:
    Simple.

Each round, Cap/IM is worth more points. If you do all your clears on rounds 1 & 2 and someone does all theirs on 3, they'll have more points.
  • chill21genlee
    Still not thrilled with the concept of being punished with less points for being eariler to the fight though..feels very counterintuitive
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Still not thrilled with the concept of being punished with less points for being eariler to the fight though..feels very counterintuitive

The points in Round 1 are a drop in the bucket compared to the points you'll get later.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, it's a very small change it will be more than made up in later rounds.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    Did I miss something? This is a team event! There is no extra rewards for finishing top 10! icon_lol.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Darknes21 wrote:
    Did I miss something? This is a team event! There is no extra rewards for finishing top 10! icon_lol.gif
    no but there is personal progression awards. which the start affects
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    So just to recap then...the later you start the more likely you are to reach max progression?
    658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Your teammates screwed you! Why didn't you all start within 10 seconds of the event starting?!?
  • pumpkin81
    pumpkin81 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    When you are in R8 and the main node is worth 40k points a single extra hit will make up the difference for clearing R1 and R2 versus starting on R4.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a by-product of the developers changing the refresh of the nodes.

Previously in Ultron, where this originated, when you beat a round, your nodes all unlocked AND still unlocked on the 8 hour rotation. This allowed those early clearers to have fresh nodes again and continue. This was absolutely necessary to beat the last level on the second run.

They then changed it on Galactus, I believe, that your nodes only refreshed at 8 hour intervals. Beating a boss Round did not unlock the nodes to go again. This caused the "penalty" for starting early because you are wasting your finite amount of fights on smaller point bosses and not getting them back when the Round ends.

It may have been intended to create incentive for stronger rosters to allow the smaller roster members of the alliance to be able to clear the beginning levels before the difficulty ramps up to where they can't beat it. Either way, it sucks. Another (hopefully inadvertent) way that you are penalized for playing well.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    JVReal wrote:
    This is a by-product of the developers changing the refresh of the nodes.

Previously in Ultron, where this originated, when you beat a round, your nodes all unlocked AND still unlocked on the 8 hour rotation. This allowed those early clearers to have fresh nodes again and continue. This was absolutely necessary to beat the last level on the second run.

They then changed it on Galactus, I believe, that your nodes only refreshed at 8 hour intervals. Beating a boss Round did not unlock the nodes to go again. This caused the "penalty" for starting early because you are wasting your finite amount of fights on smaller point bosses and not getting them back when the Round ends.

It may have been intended to create incentive for stronger rosters to allow the smaller roster members of the alliance to be able to clear the beginning levels before the difficulty ramps up to where they can't beat it. Either way, it sucks. Another (hopefully inadvertent) way that you are penalized for playing well.

In some ways it's better, because the old way made alliance progression very dependent on your performance in the first round. Getting to Round 5 in the first refresh was huge, as it bumped up the point value of subsequent clears and gave you a big head start.

In and of itself, that's fine, if all of your alliance is able to play throughout the first round, and if the servers stay stable. Both of those are big question marks, though.

I'm more than happy to pass on the first 8-hour scramble (as much fun as it was) to know that server issues and alliance member availability in the first round won't have such a huge potential impact on overall alliance performance.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmmm, our alliance had planned on winning round 8 and then trying to win a few rounds on the other side (as I'm sure most alliances would). But the people that haven't hit max progression would have to keep hitting the original side to get those progression points, right?

So it really makes it tough to get any rewards from the other side.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Sorry to give you a reality check. icon_twisted.gif Round 8 boss has 9,000,000 health. Assuming your alliance manages to clear it, how much time will remain to start the OTHER CW event? Will it be enough to clear one round, when you take into consideration the 8 hour lockout?

re: starting early vs late. It really doesn't matter, b/c latecomers (like myself who skipped rounds 1-3) will have caught up by round 4. There are enough boss health to go around, and allow players to hit progression (assuming they have the right characters on their rosters of course).
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    It may seem as if you got the short end of the stick by starting and finishing early but if you stick to the 8 hour schedule, you'll end up with more points at the end. Only caveat is that you are able to do a full clear every time.
  • chill21genlee
    Ok all now someone explain to me how there are alliances with 3 times the points total? even with all 20 players burning all nodes down the second their timers are up, the total amount of points available should be relatively equidistant for all correct?
    Seems like the top alliances have way more points and players w way more points than reasonably makes any sense at this point in the tourney..check the leaders ur selves and see what u think
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    To add a point on the worry of how starting early will negatively effect progression rewards, I wouldn't worry about it. Assuming you have the essentials and can clear the boss nodes on the higher rounds, you'll make up the missing points, even if you're alliance doesn't complete all rounds. In the last Galactus event, my former alliance spent 2 days in Round 6, only beating on Sunday and then we said to heck with round 7. But because I was able to clear Galactus each refresh time (or at least do 50-70% in that fight), so I hit the top progression reward for individual players.

To use an example from this event. My alliance just cleared Round 6. When my boss timer resets, IM will be worth 41868 points. Assuming I can fully beat him 6 times with my current roster, that one pass will give me 251,208 points (not counting the sub nodes for his allies). Which is roughly 69% of what I made in the entirety of my previous 6 rounds. Even we never get out of Round 7, I would still have the top progression by 1.5X

(And make sure you are waiting for the Boss time to reset, not the Next Mission timer, so you get that 6th boss fight.)
  • chill21genlee
    Thanks for the info...and what i obsess about is anything to do with fairness your explanation makes sense so thanks...not sure those methods could account for more than triple the points, but i guess i will take ur advice and not worry about it.
    Thanks again (sarcasm absent)