Technical Info On Server Load?

djpt05
djpt05 Posts: 178
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Figured while we wait does anyone have info about how D3 could actually prevent these server issues for big events without spending extra money?

From my limited knowledge this happens from a flood of connections of clients who all want to play at the new event at the very start. The servers cannot handle that load.

Is the only solution to have D3 buy additional servers? Would that be cost effective if the only time this happens is once or twice a year?

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    They also probably look at how long these troubles last. The first hour is bad, then bad again when people in the US start getting off work, then things seem to settle down for the rest of the event. So they can add capacity to handle the spikes in the first few hours, or they can ride it out until things normalize again.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    The most cost effective way to deal with it would be to move to the cloud. They could move to AWS and have the ability to spin up and spin down as necessary to meet capacity needs.

Let the big boys at Amazon carry the overhead of building and housing all those servers.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been learning about that at my current job, and man is that stuff interesting.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    We learn from past events and "harden" the servers in preparation before each event. In fact, (as has been the case for a long time) new servers are set up to automatically come online to handle any increased loads.

The challenge is that the gremlins find different and interesting ways to cause issues each event.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]The challenge is that the gremlins find different and interesting ways to cause issues each event.

Do I ever know about those gremlins. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]We learn from past events and "harden" the servers in preparation before each event. In fact, (as has been the case for a long time) new servers are set up to automatically come online to handle any increased loads.

The challenge is that the gremlins find different and interesting ways to cause issues each event.

Everyone should be able to tell easily that you prepared for the extra load this time. There was some lag and a few getting locked out, but I think that's expected even with being prepared.
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    The answer is either get more hamsters or larger hamster wheels. icon_e_biggrin.gif