2* to 3* transition - CANT PLAY

Options
Im literally stuck in this game now because I have been levelling up my patch and he's 127. However all i get now are 3* rosters to compete against and ive only got 1 3* character...I struggle so much every fight! Why cant I go back to fighting 2* teams to validate all my hard work and effort? The difficulty spike just got insane! Anyone else encountered this problem and how did you get around it?

Thanks,

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You need to lose more to lower your match making rank.
  • Look up "tanking" in the forums. The game is kind of set up to force you to do it because if you don't you will be facing higher level teams of people that are doing it. It basically amounts to jumping into a tourney as soon as it opens and beating one of the starter teams with your worst team possible, then let the losses accrue.
  • Im fully aware about tanking, leaving your worst team to take the fall etc, but remember, you have to actually WIN a match to tank
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You can also go into SHIELD training and retreat a bunch. This works really well.
  • Davometer wrote:
    Im fully aware about tanking, leaving your worst team to take the fall etc, but remember, you have to actually WIN a match to tank

Immediately after a new lightning round starts, you get seed teams with lvl 1-2 characters. That what you have to use to send in a tank team.
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've been in your situation although without having any 3* high lvl yet. I was getting 3* 100+ punishers and patchs to fight while I only had 2 lvl 85 plus the random heroe they give you on the PvP tournaments. I've been tanking on LR for 2 weeks and finally I was able to down my MMR again and in the panther PvP event I was able to compete against lvl 70-90 teams, so I finally got to a top 45 rank after a lot of time being unable to even get to top 100 icon_e_biggrin.gif. Thanks to the forum people that helps us out with the hints icon_e_wink.gif
  • Two ways to tank MMR:

Passive approach: Beat a seed team at very start of a tourney and let everyone beat on your team. NOTE: Recent changes (victory bonus) has reduced the effectiveness of this tactic. Late tank entrants will receive minimal benefit from passive tanking.

Active approach: Retreat from fights. Downside: Each retreat reduces the health of all participants by 33%. Four consecutive retreats by the same characters will down them. Most effective with very low level characters (level 6 2**s and level 1 1*s), with little health. The less health needed to regen, the faster you can engage in the next set of retreats to tank MMR. This tactic requires active and semi-constant vigilance to maintain a desired MMR.

Further NOTE: Recent-ish changes to tourney placement requirements (requiring 800-900 to place highly/win brackets instead of 500-600) in combination with the victory bonus generally leading to lower points per win, tend to negate the effects of tanking after a single tournament. Thus, requiring a cycle of repeated maintenance to avoid constant 141 matchups (which is why people tank LRs to counter the gained MMRs from the weekend tourneys).
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I also want to point out that full teams of other 3*'s are frequently beatable with a level 127 Patch, good supporting 2*'s and a good game strategy.
  • Regarding the Shield Simulator, doesn't that work on it's own ladder?

I thought tanking in there wouldn't affect anything else
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is there an effective way to tank PVE MMR? Every fight in the Hulk event including the gatekeepers are 230 for me.
  • akboyce wrote:
    Is there an effective way to tank PVE MMR? Every fight in the Hulk event including the gatekeepers are 230 for me.

Send in the waves of low-level characters and keep retreating. Try not to down them, as downing them requires more time for them to heal back to full.

Keep in mind that if you are seeing 230s, your PvE MMR is extremely high. With a PvE MMR that high, you probably need to retreat 50+ times (likely requires multiple waves over time) to bring it down to a reasonable level. Think of it of having a PvP tourney rating of about 2000. How many retreats would be required to get your rating back down to 700-800 to see 2** teams again instead of 141s?

Also, not playing for extended periods of time, 12-18+ hours may seem to also initiate some type of decay for as long as you can hold off not playing a sub.
  • Lyrian wrote:
    akboyce wrote:
    Also, not playing for extended periods of time, 12-18+ hours may seem to also initiate some type of decay for as long as you can hold off not playing a sub.

I suspect this is why my enemies are not insane despite having the correct buffed roster to dominate. When I woke up today I saw the Black Panther missions at level 3x I couldn't believe my eyes. Joined the subs and fought hard to place well (Top 4 and top 20) levels increased as I played. But doing 1 refresh subs definitely has its benefits. The only max level nodes were the solo Hulks, who arguably gets easier because the anger doesn't trigger. Then at 40% he is downed by the Punisher.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    akboyce wrote:

Send in the waves of low-level characters and keep retreating. Try not to down them, as downing them requires more time for them to heal back to full.

Keep in mind that if you are seeing 230s, your PvE MMR is extremely high. With a PvE MMR that high, you probably need to retreat 50+ times (likely requires multiple waves over time) to bring it down to a reasonable level. Think of it of having a PvP tourney rating of about 2000. How many retreats would be required to get your rating back down to 700-800 to see 2** teams again instead of 141s?

Man I can not even imagine how high mine is. Due to the gatekeeper teams yesterday being 230 boosted Hulk and 2 Dark Avengers I did not even ENTER the subevents. Thought "well on the bright side surely this will lower my MMR." Nope.... still 230s today.

I know they are working on adjusting the scaling but having to either not play or grind loses in the mean time sure sucks. I am currently in the Yellow Wolverine prize tier and am skipping entire subevents... clearly I deserve 230s.