Hulk broke me

Calnexin
Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I hit my limit with this one.

I was in a T100 alliance and contributing as much as I could. I was looking forward to Civil War. Looking forward to at least two Bucky covers.

Last night I decided the drain on my schedule and disruption of sleep is just not worth it. I apologized to the alliance and dropped out. I know I won't post the numbers they need for max reward in the Civil War event, and if they get there I'd feel guilty reaping rewards I didn't necessarily earn.

It's too much. I've decided to downsize. I joined a random public alliance for Civil War. I'm not staying up until midnight for my first clear or trying to sneak away from work to optimize anymore. I'd love to have the 4 new characters on my roster, but I realize the pursuit is getting in the way of my life. It's time to treat this game for what it is. A game.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    I'd like to max 3 more guys and I plan on taking my foot off the gas too. for me that's going casual on pve. will probably still keep up my normal pvp routine, but pve just sucks.

edit: just hope you avoided that thunderous clap icon_e_wink.gif
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, smashing things is what he does.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I broke today as well. Too much time spent thinking about and playing this game. I was scheduling my life around Hulk, and preparing to so the same for Civil War, much like I've dome for numerous recent events, and it was too much. I went to let my alliance know I was going to cut back, and started thinking about excuses to delay, and keep playing more, and it just felt so unhealthy that I freaked a little and immediately quit the alliance and uninstalled the game before I could talk myself back into playing.
    I may well come back to the game at a later date, but for now I need to be done. Once I'm into something like this, I can get quite obsessed, and I struggle to do half measures. It's the constant desire to progress, to improve, to get more cool stuff.
    Anyways, enough of my greetin', I hope you all enjoy the Civil War event.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Good public service announcement that if you're obsessing over the game and hurting your life with it, you can and should just accept missing some rewards! It's a good lesson that's generalizable to all sorts of pursuits in real life.

Hope you both have a good recovery!
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Week-long character releases are terrible, no question. But alliance events are usually a lot less of a grind than other PvEs, and the one after it is the Gauntlet. Should be a nice chance to step away a bit without rage quitting.
  • Dudemon
    Dudemon Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Yeah, I used to be in several PVE alliances... even the infamous We Are Groot.

It got to be too much. I eventually switched to a semi-casual PVP alliance (300 pts/event).
    I REALLY enjoy the lack of pressure. And they routinely form a PVE group with whoever wants to join.

I can PVE or not. No pressure. Best move I ever made. Saved the game for me. I can go big or small in any event and still get plenty of rewards.
    Yes a PVP alliance that mercs out for PVE is the way to go.

Dudemon
  • Edith09
    Edith09 Posts: 48
    Wow. Hulk is great in breaking spirit. I finished with game last Sunday. I've been thinking about it for some time but I made swift decision in the middle of Sunday (actually I did morning clear and was sitting around 15th in my slice).
    I still like the game, heroes but I don't want to put so many hours into it and because I don't want to play on noncompetetive level I unistalled and never looked back.
    I peek to forum from time to time for fun.
    And big question: do I miss the game? Strangely I don't, I'm feeling free with lot of time for sleeping, reading, gaming and other stuff. No regrets.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    stowaway wrote:
    Week-long character releases are terrible, no question. But alliance events are usually a lot less of a grind than other PvEs, and the one after it is the Gauntlet. Should be a nice chance to step away a bit without rage quitting.

It's not a ragequit for me. I still like the game. I just got to a point where I realized that having the new shiny is not worth losing sleep or missing 15 minutes reading to my children. I'm planning on doing the Daily, hitting 4k in season PvP, and hopefully getting the CP reward in PvE on a regular basis. I accept the fact that I will not get the newest 4*, and will therefore be unable to compete when they're an essential.

So it goes. I need to mellow out and do other things. This release event is too much for me. I'll get my 5*s when RNG is feeling charitable.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, it was awful! I'm excited to be going casual soon... once these civil war events end...
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Take a break. Do some things outside of game for a while. Think about what's important. Come back if you feel like you want to keep playing. I quit the game 2 weeks ago and decided I would be able to manage better after looking in from the outside.

I came back just in time to hit the last day of Hulk, get my 1 essential Bucky cover, and I'm re-energized for Civil War. Looking forward to getting some good rewards.

Good luck!
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Good for you! You won't really won't miss a game over life. I honestly don't know how people with jobs or obligations can play this game on a competitive level. I see that as a sad structural problem of the game. Still fun to play here and there, but you can't schedule your life around it.
  • ScrubJay
    ScrubJay Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Yep, decided in the first sub of the Hulk sub that grinding PVE is not for me any more. I'll hit up the nodes for CP over the day a sub is up but I won't grind or schedule my life around hitting those 8 hour marks.

All the new 4* are going to take aeons to cover anyway.