No idea what to do...

Legasher
Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I've stopped myself for a week or two from spending my cp, and I'm now at 125 (I know that's not much, but I've just been spending as I earned until now). Thing is, now I'm really unsure what to do. I have absolutely no 4* fully covered. The closest is my XFW, at 3/5/2. Ater that is PX at 3/1/3. The only other cover I have maxed is purpleflag.pngicon_elektra.png The kicker is, I'm missing several important covers. My X23 is 3/1/0, my HB is 3/0/1, my XDP is 2/1/0 and my JG is 4/0/2., which means I can't even save up CP to help them. So I have several options:

1: Open six tokens. I'm very unlikely to get a dup (Though somehow I actually have pulled a 6th purpleflag.pngicon_elektra.png , even though she is 5/1/0 icon_evil.gif), and I give myself a chance to get Jean's passive, or make it so XFD and X23 can actually attack. However, I definitely do not have the iso to level up a whole bunch of characters, so there are only 14 or so covers I'm actually looking for (Any of three for five characters, minus XFW's maxed blackflag.png). There's also the chance of finally pulling a black OML cover (I'm 0/4/1, which is awesome, but he's purely passive. I have to pair him with Luke so he can sit up front and take damage until LC is ready to fire) but that chance is incredibly low. The flip side is I could get one cover for six different toons that only have one or two so far, which would be much less useful than option 2.

2. Boost XFW yellowflag.png or PX purpleflag.png by one. It hurts a little to give up six tokens for one cover, but I can be sure it's going to a specific character, so I can focus my iso on them, at the cost of guaranteeing that my others stay hobbled.

3. Hold out. I still open all my LTs from championing (I have a little over half my 3*s championed and I'm working on them one by one. There's no point syphoning my iso into a bunch of 4*s with a max level of 100 or so) and vaults, so I could end up pulling one of those missing covers that way, and then I could spend the cp on leveling those more useful characters. I am 4 3* Daken covers away from the greenflag.pngicon_x23.png, so I could just hold on. (IM40 on the other hand needs over 50 to hit that HB blackflag.png)

4. Really hold out. Rely on my 3* roster to help me simply win covers when they happen to come around, focus on championing the ones that are left, and hold onto my cp until I can finish championing one or two 4* and have a little more Iso to work with.

Suggestions?

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't buy specific covers. I'd open them all and keep opening them until you get to a point where your odds of pulling a good cover that you can't use because of iso restrictions is holding you back. Right now, there's no reason to hold them.
  • Swish
    Swish Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    I'm holding on to mine for the first time as well. It looks like there will be special tokens during the Civil War event. May want to wait and see what they offer there.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Open classic tokens. Don't give ISO to 4*s until they're viable cover-wise unless it's for ddq. Ignore prophets of scaling doom and naysayers. Have fun and good luck!
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    if youre still missing several four stars, make sure you have the hp to buy roster slots first. if youre not able to buy slots for any new ones you get, keep hoarding cp and hp first.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    In your situation, if you have the HP available to roster new characters when opening tokens, then go ahead and open tokens.

My take on spending CP for single 4* covers: Don't do it except under super special circumstances. If you have enough 4* powers at 5 covers that you have about a 50/50 chance of a new cover being a duplicate of one of those, then you can consider spending 120 CP for one cover.

However, the only time you should ever spend CP on a cover (in my opinion anyway) is if you have a top tier 4* like IMHB or Rulk at 5/2/5 and that needed 3rd cover in the last color is not on the PVP horizon. Then you would be justified in not letting the RNG decide if you get your cover.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    With current events in mind, I'd say save it for the 30 CP tokens with 10% 5* release (assuming you have the HP to roster them).

Spending for individual covers is not something you want to do until you've got them at 11-12, and maybe have a cover ready to champ them. The cost for a single cover is outrageous, and only worth spending if you're desperate for that particular cover.

If you don't have open roster slots, don't open anything. Hold onto it until you've got enough HP to open a slot, then start spending on standard legendaries.

I'd also advise not leveling any of your 4* past ~ 170 until you feel like you're ready to be a 4* player. PvE becomes much more difficult and you get tougher matches in PvP when you level up your characters. A solid 3* roster will carry you until your 4*s are ripe enough to field them as your primary team.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    My vote would be for continuing to open classic tokens.

If you have no 4*s fully covered, you're going to have a tough time of it trying to reach the best rewards in almost any event - the current "meta" (I hate that term) all but requires that you have a handful of good 4*s to work with if you want to get the good stuff from most events, even more so since the championing buffbutactuallyanerf to 3*'s.

Don't go for the Civil War tokens unless you have a major boner for Captain 5merica or IM46 for some reason - 50% more CP for the same chance at a 5* isn't a great deal. Classics will get you more 4*s for your buck, and you still have a shot at OML and Phoenix covers, which are really good. We'll need to see them in practice still, but it doesn't look like the new 5s are good enough to unseat OML as the king of 5*s (and the game, really).

To quote Dennis Miller, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
  • Legasher
    Sorry I didn't give enough details. I have almost every character at at least one cover (Only missing SS and GG at 5* and Drax at 4*). I have enough HP on hand to roster another 2 or 3 immediately and I'll usually shell out a little dough for slots if I run out and get pressed for time. I guess the dilemma comes from my worry that I am going to open those six tokens and end up with thing, spiderman, gwen, awesome hulk and punisher at 2 covers each, and no significant progress towards a fully covered character. I have XFW at lvl 180, X23 and PX at 111 and all the rest below 100. So basically, the worry isn't so much about running out of room, but more about having too much room when I want to hit a particular target. Thank you all for your advice though. I'll have a go at them this evening and let y'all know how it turns out. (I really have no interest in the civil war tokens. They seem like a ripoff tbh.)
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Legasher wrote:
    Sorry I didn't give enough details. I have almost every character at at least one cover (Only missing SS and GG at 5* and Drax at 4*). I have enough HP on hand to roster another 2 or 3 immediately and I'll usually shell out a little dough for slots if I run out and get pressed for time. I guess the dilemma comes from my worry that I am going to open those six tokens and end up with thing, spiderman, gwen, awesome hulk and punisher at 2 covers each, and no significant progress towards a fully covered character. I have XFW at lvl 180, X23 and PX at 111 and all the rest below 100. So basically, the worry isn't so much about running out of room, but more about having too much room when I want to hit a particular target. Thank you all for your advice though. I'll have a go at them this evening and let y'all know how it turns out. (I really have no interest in the civil war tokens. They seem like a ripoff tbh.)

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about this, it's just the way of the RNG. As others have said, banking CP for single cover buys is something you should do on only the rarest of occasions. I've only bought three covers this way and they were my 5th Bobby blue, and my 4th and 5th JG green. And that was only so I could champ them and not waste other covers I had opened. Until you get within 1-2 covers of maxing a top-tier 4* (or until you have almost everyone else covered) you should be opening classics. I'm with you on the CW tokens, seem like a waste unless you've got thousands of CP banked to attempt a grab at a decently-covered IM or Cap.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only start buying covers outright once you have over 60-70% of the 4* abilities max covered (not counting the latest few new characters). 6 brand new covers (3-5 once you start filling up) are infinitely better than one cover for one character. Only exception to do so is when you have one of the top 5 characters at 10+ covers. (And at that point, first check if that character is due to be rewarded soon in PVP, PVE, or daily resupply. Nothing worst than spending 120 CP and then finding out a few days later that you could have just gotten it in other way.)
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Related question, but when do you guys suggestion outright buying 5* covers? 720 is an insane amount of CP for 1 cover; however, I'm sitting on a 3/5/2 OML and a 0/2/0 dupe OML. Nothing stings like seeing the purple flash, seeing the Wolvie claws, and then pulling ANOTHER yellow. And, I also have a 3/1/5 PHX. Another red PHX is gonna hurt, too. My gut tells me to keep pulling Classics bcs the 4* covers are worth something, but where is the point when you buy covers?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    LordXberk wrote:
    Related question, but when do you guys suggestion outright buying 5* covers? 720 is an insane amount of CP for 1 cover; however, I'm sitting on a 3/5/2 OML and a 0/2/0 dupe OML. Nothing stings like seeing the purple flash, seeing the Wolvie claws, and then pulling ANOTHER yellow. And, I also have a 3/1/5 PHX. Another red PHX is gonna hurt, too. My gut tells me to keep pulling Classics bcs the 4* covers are worth something, but where is the point when you buy covers?
    man I still wish you could trade some of those yellows... hopefully getting close to pulling my stash next week. my 2/-/5 oml awaits.
  • Legasher
    Ok. Broke them open:

yellowflag.pngicon_nova.png Now 2/1/2
    blackflag.pngicon_carnage.png Now 4/1/1
    redflag.pngicon_elektra.png Now 5/1/1
    redflag.pngicon_ironman.png Now 4/0/1
    greenflag.pngicon_thing.png Now 0/0/2
    blueflag.pngicon_nickfury.png Now 1/5/2

Not horrible, not awesome. Got the first of a color for three characters, happy to have gotten any HB cover, but still means two characters tie PX for second most covers at 7. *Shrug* I'll just have to keep working at it.
    This is coming from the most vocal advocate for Lottery Ticket Hoarding ... a guy who's been holding out so long I am almost certainly backed up in all sorts of nasty ways and probably at risk of fatal infections in various places ... keep opening. Based on what you've said, you're not to the point of needing to hoard yet. You shouldn't be pulling many "useless" covers yet. Shouldn't .... shouldn't ... RNGesus you sonuvatinykittyin' tinykitty ....

I've kinda wondered when I've seen you post in favor of hoarding, how are you progressing? Do you just win that much that you don't need anything? Even 5*s?
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Too late to send OP my thoughts! I see your pulls positive overall, and for the moment I would encourage you to keep opening packs.

My recomentation would be to be very stingy with your ISO; once you get more 4* covers you will be needing A LOT of it, save it for strong characters (or, of course, the ones you really like).

At this moment I would say to pump your IMHB as much as you can (be aware of the incoming IMHB covers in CivilWar event!) and put an eye on raising Fury, Nova and Carnage at 120ish for DPD tokens.

Regarding championing 3*, I did it with 35 and I regret it now for most of the cases. If you have a 3* character already at 160 or more, championing it is quite worth it; add powerful/supportive characters (IFist, Khamala, SWitch, IM40) and ones rewarding 4* covers you want. (why, oh why did I champ DDevil, Falcon and SqGirl...)