new to the forum

Options
Hey all, I've been reading this forum for a few days now and i cant figure out what a tanking team is, can someone help me out here?

Comments

• Most often used in the context of a PvP tournament or Lightning Rounds, a tanking team is a low-level, easy to beat team that a mid-to-high level player uses to manipulate their MMR (Match-Making Ranking) so that they face easier competition later on.

In general, you open the tournament within seconds of it launching, so that your nodes are full of seed teams of trivial difficulty. You use your normal team to smash seed teams and get up to 100-200 points, taking the early progression awards along the way, while saving the easiest seed team on one of your nodes. When you're done looting early rewards, you switch to a team made of low-level characters that you don't use, and then beat the saved seed team. Later on, the other players in your tournament will see your seed team and stomp it, dropping your points in that tournament and your overall PvP MMR. In future tournaments, you ought to see somewhat easier competition.

I don't think the devs like tanking very much, because it's more or less a way to game their matchmaking system. MMR has to take losses into account somehow, though, because it's not that difficult to get knocked into an MMR tier that you just can't progress through, making PvP tournaments close to unplayable.