Is reaching 1K in PVP similar to reaching 2K in Simulator?

Cousin Simpson
Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Yes, another "Reaching 1K in PVP" thread, but this time in comparison to reaching the top progression the SHIELD Simulator.

In Simulator, I tend to hover a bit around 1300 points and then push to 2000 in pretty much one concentrated attempt -- and I've accomplished the feat pretty much every season since Cyclops was the top prize. But do normal PVP events use the same general strategy? (Some of my alliance mates have said that my roster would be good for competitive PVP.)

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can hang around 600 points and then push. Once you get above 800 to 900 points depending on the time left you can get hit pretty hard. My suggestion is be willing to use a 3 hr shield and an 8 hr shield. Make a push with 10 hrs left to get above 900 then with 7 hrs left hop to 1000. I didn't look at your roster but getting to 1000 points with over 8 hrs left isn't bad. A lot of people get to 1000 with under 8 hrs left but you can get hit a lot
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Without shield hopping it is really hard. But a 3 and an 8 will get you there. Just pay attention to the leaders and try to queue some cc's when they are shield hopping. My roster maxes out at 150 right now and I have just lately been able to do it.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i just tried to go from 880-1000. made it to about 930,but couldn't win a match without losing 1-2 matches. unless you get really lucky, or have a bomb team that people are going to avoid, chances are you're going to get knocked down. finally got beat back to 800 and just said screw it and shielded. (and got hit 9 times since).
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Depends on your roster.

If you have two boosted 4* 270s, or a 5*/4*, you can float just below 700, then push to 1K fairly easily in most events, then pop your first shield after that.

With two non-boosted 4*s, or 3*s (even boosted), I think you'd have to hop your way to 1K, as suggested above.
  • UncleSmed
    UncleSmed Posts: 75
    I find it much much harder to hit 1k in pvp than 2k in shield sim.

I can push to 1500 - 1700 in SS and then make a clean push within the two weeks to go section (did it with just over a week left for the 4Pun cover this time) and not needing to hold for season score, just let the points float away.

Finding it pvp impossibly grindy now and hitting even 800 has become off putting compared to the drawn out pace of shield sim.
    Might be because i don't have any good four stars covered to level.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    UncleSmed wrote:
    I find it much much harder to hit 1k in pvp than 2k in shield sim.

I can push to 1500 - 1700 in SS and then make a clean push within the two weeks to go section (did it with just over a week left for the 4Pun cover this time) and not needing to hold for season score, just let the points float away.

Finding it pvp impossibly grindy now and hitting even 800 has become off putting compared to the drawn out pace of shield sim.
    Might be because i don't have any good four stars covered to level.

3*'s have taken a significant power drop (not at base, but only when powered-up, about 25% drop) ever since champions were introduced, PVP is much easier with a 4* roster these days.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, another "Reaching 1K in PVP" thread, but this time in comparison to reaching the top progression the SHIELD Simulator.

In Simulator, I tend to hover a bit around 1300 points and then push to 2000 in pretty much one concentrated attempt -- and I've accomplished the feat pretty much every season since Cyclops was the top prize. But do normal PVP events use the same general strategy? (Some of my alliance mates have said that my roster would be good for competitive PVP.)
    It's a lot more difficult to get to 1000 than it is to get to 2k in Simulator. I do mean a lot more difficult. I've been able to get to 2000 in SHIELD Sim for five or six seasons without using shields. Past season I was able to get to 1000 in PvP for the first time but needed two shields each time and wasn't able to get there consistently.
  • OnyxSnake
    OnyxSnake Posts: 78 Match Maker
    What you need is at least 1 maxed 4* from the top 5 4*s or 1 of the weekly boosted characters and things will get a lot easier.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    I'm usually able to get to 1k without shielding by using boosted 3*s. I just got my first champion 4*, so I'm not sure if 1k with 3*s will be particularly harder when that 4* isn't boosted (and doesn't synergize with anyone boosted). But I tend to be able float around 500-600 and can usually climb to 1k with minimal hits. Occasionally it takes a 3 hour to get over the last hump.

Again, this was with 3*s. You do have to use the boosted characters though. When I see people with boosted champs running unboosted IF and Luke Cage, I just feel sad for them. But that does explain all the "1k is so hard" threads.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I have done 2k Simulator with 2* blast team - Storm, Magneto and OBW. No shields...
    With 3* it is like making ~725 in PvP. No problem.

1k in PvP is MUCH much harder.
    Unless you will catch cupcake wave (with recent change to seeds those will be rarer) 2 shields are required with good 3* team.
  • teknofyl
    teknofyl Posts: 80
    This will vary depending on your roster and which team you are using. I've use a lvl 375 OML and a championed Jean or XFDP, depending on the boosted char, so your mileage may vary with this advice.

I usually make a leisurely climb to 800 to collect the 3* cover sometime prior to the final 36-24 hours. Then I stop and wait to get hit by the 5-star players making their climb. This typically drops me back down to around 550-600. I'll climb back up to around 700-800 at this point and wait (a couple of hours) to see if I get hit again. When I can float around 800 without more than a random hit, I push to 1000 and shield. At that point I decide whether or not to go for 1300.

For the Simulator, it's a similar situation. The float point is a round 1600-1700 before the final push, and obviously the climb there is done over days or weeks.
  • tdglory49
    tdglory49 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    As someone who'd been hitting 1K for the past 7-8 seasons with only 3*s (only just maxed my first two 4*s), it's harder than 2K in Sim but not that much more difficult. The primary issue is that if you're trying to keep placement, you need to plan ahead so you're not climbing around the same time as everyone else. That's when a 3* team becomes a really juicy target.

Otherwise, most of the tips/differences I can think of:
    • In Sim, you pick all 3 characters, but in regular PVP, you only get to pick 2, obviously. That makes team composition trickier, particularly with boosteds.
    • Don't neglect the boosteds. There are exceptions, but most weeks you can find 2-3 boosted characters who are strong/synergize well. I'll fight unboosted Cage/IF/Cyc every time over all but the worst boosted 3*s. A similar thing applies to the 5*s - unless yours is above 350 or so, they're pretty easy targets.
    • In Sim, I believe you can always be attacked by anyone, no matter their score. In regular PVP, you can only be found by those around you, until you hit 800, when it's open season. Keep your 800-1000 climb brief - boosts are your friend here.
    • If you know you want 1000, be prepared to use 2 shields. I could usually make it on 1 shield, but you should be willing to use 2 if you have to do so.
    • Along the last point, if you're going from 800 to 1000 and you get hit, don't try to make it up with "one more match". 90% of the time, you'll get hit in that next match as well, and now you're treading water, wasting boosts/healthpacks/characters, until that stack of losses knocks you back down. Better to shield and either come back later or cut your losses.

One thing to note is I've never tried getting 1k really early and then not shielding (like some people do in the Simulator) in a regular PVP. If you don't care about placement and season score, it might be worth a shot.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks everyone. A follow-up question then: do most people not shield to get to 2K in the Simulator, I gather?
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks everyone. A follow-up question then: do most people not shield to get to 2K in the Simulator, I gather?

Not for a long time, no. If you're doing it in the last couple days then you're going to have a real tough time between 1800-2000.

This last season I was running 4cyc 272, IM 40 172, and TeenJean 220.

I was able to hover at 1800 without any hits for almost the whole day saturday, which was very surprising to me. I pushed over 2k that night. Sunday a bunch of hits came in, but stopped once I got to about 1,650.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I think it's a timing difference.

In Sim especially a week or two out, people aren't caring about their final score - many could hit 2K and drop(I do).

In regular PVP, everything is compacted into a few days - or hours for most - and so you can't hide as easily.