Checking the game out again after a long break

ErickTheRed
ErickTheRed Posts: 11
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I played for 190 days a while ago, leaving shortly after Scarlet Witch was introduced, before any 5* characters or command points. I have most 2* characters and over half of the 3* characters, but no 3* fully covered or beyond level 102. Now some friends have recently picked it up and I was interested enough to take a 2nd look.

It seems like they have stopped making new 3* and are now filling out the 4* tier. That sounds good for me, as I didn't like the fact that I couldn't keep up with 3* at the rate they were being released anyway.

The Champions seem like a great change. It gives something to do with all the 2* covers, and will let my 2* characters stay relevant as 3* are developed.

I've always been a casual player. I could play for the top progression pve reward when it was the 3* cover, except sometimes they made that much harder to achieve than usual and I burned out after a couple of events like that. I could get 300 or 400 points in PvP as well, occasionally getting top 100 if it wasn't a popular event and getting the season 10 pack reward. If I don't planning on building up 4* characters at all at what point would I hit a wall in PvP nowadays?

How hard is the PvE top progression reward for command points now? How many times do you have to clear each node to reach it usually? If I could get that regularly then building up 3* characters seems very viable, but I suspect it is tuned to require more playing time than I'd be willing to give this game.

I'm not interested in chasing the top, but any information about how the game is for more casual players now would be welcome.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad news - if you couldn't keep up with the 3*'s at the rate they were releasing them, they haven't slowed down that rate despite moving on to 4*'s.

Which cost tremendously more ISO.

And the roster slots continue to go up, only capping at 1K.

And they only get rewarded at ~1/10th the rate of 3*'s.

And those rewards are mostly RNG, so to get a 4* covered will take you a long time with how many there are now.

And they go through rotations required as essentials in PVE.

And unless you have the boosted 4*'s in PVP, you are probably not going to have a good time (meme here).

Um....welcome back?
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    In most PVE if you have all of the essentials 3 clears is pretty much enough to hit progression cp's.

Stick to farming PVP for easy rewards - at your level it isn't worth the pain yet - hit lightening rounds as soon as they start if you can and do deadpool daily every day you can.

It's easy to get fixated on placement but for casual players progression and the regular ISO from events is for better than placement so just play at your own pace and see if you get the MPQ bug again.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Of course, if you don't have all the 3*s and 4*s, you won't have all the essentials, so some extra grinding may be needed. But good news! They added CP rewards to the hardest nodes, and 7 rewards to every node, so if you do a little mining, you should be fine.
  • Thanks for the info.

3 full clears for 25 command points isn't unreasonable, and I imagine it puts you in the top 100 still as well, unless it is for a new release. Hearing that there are command point rewards and a new PvE event is good news.

I think it is correct in my situation to continue to ignore 4* characters and only rarely go for the top PvE progression reward. I have 2 4*, and IW that I got very early when it was useful to just have a lvl 70 character, and an XForce. Maybe when the stars align and they are essentials I grind some more.

It seems like roster slots are still better spent on 3* characters, since they are essentials for the Deadpool Daily as well, and then on any remaining 2* characters since they would come up as essentials more often and be actually playable way earlier. I just checked, and I have 40 roster slots, 1 1*, 10 2*, 27 3*, and 2 4*. Getting all the 3* is an achievable goal. Having a roster of 4* characters is for people that spend more time than I do. I play games for hours a day, but this will never be my primary game again.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Just a word of caution:

3* characters took a large (25%) nerf when they introduced championing. Expect to get steamrollered by any 4* teams as even a 3 x top tier 3* cannot compete with any decent 4*'s.

Rather than concentrating resources on 3* slots (27 should be enough) consider trying to bag some of the good 4* (Hulkbuster, IceMan, Jean Grey, etc)
  • Yrkcan
    Yrkcan Posts: 9
    ^what druss said, and I would also recommend that at the first sight of a top tier 4* (lists all over the place), replace invisible woman and xforce wolverine (in that order) with better 4*. If you're only going to hang on to a few 4*, you absolutely don't want to waste your roster space, iso, or time on invisible woman.