So I've skipped an entire season

mjh
mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
and I missed absolutely nothing. I did DDQ everyday, that's it. Here's my takeaways as I stepped out of this game

- My only resource for obtaining 4* covers consistently was the 1000 pvp mark. This season had ZERO 4* covers I needed (Rulk, Iceman and 4Clops)

- All the new characters are lame and will not be top5 which is the only meta that matters. I'm still trying to get covers for the 3 guys mentioned above so 4Pun and Drax do nothing for me.

- OML is still elusive

- The match3 narrative has gotten beyond old. Slapping lipstick on a new story event does absolutely nothing for anybody. Everyone is pretty much sick of it.

- The new Cap/IM story event is more of the same.

- The radio silence (video QA, etc) from D3 really leads me to believe this game has taken a big fall. It's their own fault. They failed to improve the game based on feedback fast enough and after 2 years there are still non-retina (blurry) images in the game.
The one thing I think that would have saved this game would be head-up mode. I doubt they've written one line of code for this.

- 4* featured PVPs should have been the norm over 6 months ago

- At day 775 I should not be getting Standard tokens. No.

- At day 775 I should also not be getting the other garbage they are throwing at me like 3x Boosts and FalCap yellow covers. Pretty insulting to your long time players.

- I've moved on and probably won't come back, enjoy

Beyond all this is am almost positive that behind the scenes they increased drop rates for IW and Starlord. there is no way their covers can drop that consistently while top5 4* covers never do.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure if you did a previous quit thread, folks will remember and put that on you here for not being "done done" the first time.

However, I get your point - my favorite times in the game are DDQ and LR's - by far. Fast, easy play for good rewards. If more of the game was like that, I'd highly recommend it to others.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:
    - All the new characters are lame and will not be top5 which is the only meta that matters. I'm still trying to get covers for the 3 guys mentioned above so 4Pun and Drax do nothing for me.

- OML is still elusive
    I think a couple good points will end up getting lost in the "oh mjh you're a well-known sourpuss, who cares, quit already". There were a few other good points you made (the daily drops and rewards for guys 2+ years in I particularly relate to), but I wanted to highlight the two i quoted above.

I can't tell you how many players I've heard from lately that have been just completely unexcited by any of the new 4* releases lately. This is from every level of player too. 3-4* transitioners see it as just more characters to dilute the pool so they will take longer to fully transition. 4* players already have at least 2 or 3 top tier 4* maxed and don't see how a new 4* that they might cover in 4-5 months will possibly help them (not to mention having iso needed to actually level that character). 5* players couldn't care less about a new 4* that they will never possibly have a need for. At this point, I don't even think an OP 4* release would get players all that excited. It would have to both be a top tier character AND an insanely popular character to really get players going for it.

You say OML is still elusive. Part of that is obviously your own problem if you aren't hitting 1300 in PvP and max progression in PvE. Part of that is the much-hated LT/RNG system for giving out 5* covers (You could have hit all CP possible and still pulled 0/30 LTs or whatever). Now I haven't gotten an OML cover in probably 2 or 3 seasons and he's stuck at 1/1/2, but due to hitting almost every 1300 progression and nearly as many PvE progressions, as well as winning all of the available 4* DDQ so far this rotation, I have picked up probably 4 or 5 phoenix covers and 3 or 4 SS covers, so it's not like my personal progression is completely stalled. So, I think it highlights that the RNG model for 5* distribution is broken, but it also highlights the importance of putting forth enough effort to get the chances at those 5*. They will eventually come, not that its any less frustrating when they don't.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    my favorite times in the game are DDQ and LR's - by far. Fast, easy play for good rewards.

I hear this a lot about LRs and I almost never play them.
    It feels like a lot of struggle for a small amount of ISO. Is there a "proper" way to play it or something? It seems you need to go really high up the placement ladder to start earning a decent reward.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    The match3 narrative has gotten beyond old. Slapping lipstick on a new story event does absolutely nothing for anybody. Everyone is pretty much sick of it.

If you do not enjoy the very nature of the game, then you don't need to bring up all the other things and indeed moving on is the best alternative as that's something that cannot change or be improved, nor it can be blamed on anyone.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    my favorite times in the game are DDQ and LR's - by far. Fast, easy play for good rewards.

It feels like a lot of struggle for a small amount of ISO. Is there a "proper" way to play it or something? It seems you need to go really high up the placement ladder to start earning a decent reward.
    If you are around in the 30 minutes between LR you can "preload" seed teams by clicking on the reward preview for the LR. As long as your game doesn't reload before you go back to play it, you should have a fat stack of like 8 or so seed teams. This is an immediate 1k+ iso, usually more, but I suppose 135 per match is "average". You also get the standard token at 25 and the iso chunk at 100. These seeds tend to get you around 200 points and you're 1 or 2 matches away from the other standard token at 250 (yay 100 more iso).

So basically, make sure you are there at the start and you get a lot of easy matches for lots of iso. The high 4*/5* rosters can fight over the placement tokens, all you really care about is the iso you get from all those seed teams.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Its sad, but the game has stagnated. D3 could easily fix this by supplying separate 4* events. That would give people a reason to be excited about 4*'s again. It baffles me. All they have to do is repeat the same transition with the 4*'s they did with the 3*s. Oh well.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    mohio wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

If you are around in the 30 minutes between LR you can "preload" seed teams by clicking on the reward preview for the LR. As long as your game doesn't reload before you go back to play it, you should have a fat stack of like 8 or so seed teams. This is an immediate 1k+ iso, usually more, but I suppose 135 per match is "average". You also get the standard token at 25 and the iso chunk at 100. These seeds tend to get you around 200 points and you're 1 or 2 matches away from the other standard token at 250 (yay 100 more iso).

So basically, make sure you are there at the start and you get a lot of easy matches for lots of iso. The high 4*/5* rosters can fight over the placement tokens, all you really care about is the iso you get from all those seed teams.
    It's about 1000 ISO for the first three matches and then about 150 ISO more per match on average.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2016
    mjh wrote:
    and I missed absolutely nothing. I did DDQ everyday, that's it. Here's my takeaways as I stepped out of this game

- My only resource for obtaining 4* covers consistently was the 1000 pvp mark. This season had ZERO 4* covers I needed (Rulk, Iceman and 4Clops)

- OML is still elusive

- The match3 narrative has gotten beyond old. Slapping lipstick on a new story event does absolutely nothing for anybody. Everyone is pretty much sick of it.

- The radio silence (video QA, etc) from D3 really leads me to believe this game has taken a big fall. It's their own fault. They failed to improve the game based on feedback fast enough and after 2 years there are still non-retina (blurry) images in the game.
    The one thing I think that would have saved this game would be head-up mode. I doubt they've written one line of code for this.

- At day 775 I should also not be getting the other garbage they are throwing at me like 3x Boosts and FalCap yellow covers. Pretty insulting to your long time players.

Beyond all this is am almost positive that behind the scenes they increased drop rates for IW and Starlord. there is no way their covers can drop that consistently while top5 4* covers never do.
    I disagree
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    mjh wrote:

- OML is still elusive

Yaaaaawn!!!!!

This is quite an unfair dismissal. Lots of OP's points make sense!
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:

What I do for LR's:

Play three seed teams per round and stop. This gives you three quick matches, hitting the first three progressions. If you were to play ten seed matches or aim for high placements, it would still take significantly more time without a lot of payout. This way allows me to take less than 5 minutes per round to get around 1k iso.