10% Draw Rate on Cap and Iron Man 5*

ThatOneGuyjp189512
ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
"The Civil War store has two different packs: Team Cap and Team Iron Man Legendary packs. Each pack gives you a one in ten chance get a cover of the 5-Star Steve Rogers or Iron Man hero"

they being generous!

Comments

• mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    30 cp though...
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    mindsuckr wrote:
    30 cp though...

I think it's absolutely worth it to remove one of the layers of RNG involved in 5* chasing.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    mindsuckr wrote:
    30 cp though...

I think it's absolutely worth it to remove one of the layers of RNG involved in 5* chasing.
    I disagree. That may be because I'm comparing it the the classic LTs instead of the standard (new release) ones, but I can't justify a 50% cost premium to lower the range of characters in the 5* reward tier.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I can only imagine the amount of buyers club running during civil war. With a 10% chance to get a *specific* five star, it will be a whales dream.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2016
    This choice is clearly designed to entice whaling. It will make getting the new 5*s much easier for anyone willing to drop several hundred dollars.

For everyone else, however. It has basically no effect. Top alliance players may earn the 1 event LT available for round 8. And people who don't whale may save up 60-100 CPs to use buying tokens. But that's still only 3 or 4 draws at the 10% rate.

And this is even assuming the new 5*s are any good. From the descriptions so far IM46 sounds potentially intereting, but cap much less so.)
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    This choice is clearly designed to entice whaling. It will make getting the new 5*s much easier for anyone willing to drop several hundred dollars.

For everyone else, however. It has basically no effect. Top alliance players may earn the 1 event LT available for round 8. And people who don't whale may save up 60-100 CPs to use buying tokens. But that's still only 3 or 4 draws at the 10% rate.

Land thus is even assuming the new 5*s are any good. From the descriptions so far IM46 sounds potentially intereting, but cap much less so.)

Which is a terrible way to design the game and a bad sign for events going forward.

Will every event we ever see now simply be set up to -purely- be a buy-in for the whales, and very little chance (RNG) for anyone else to get the covers?

It's one thing to cater to the whales. It's quite another to make the game only playable by the whales. FTP have to be your base (90%+ of your players generally) - or your whales won't have anyone else to play with.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Whales gonna whale. Also a hint that maybe they are gearing up for the end of the 4* tier and newer and better opportunities for 5*'s
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Posted in the other thread, but pertains to here. I don't see purple flashes too often, so I don't expect to see many, if any, during the runs of Civil War.
    lukewin wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    The Civil War store has two different packs: Team Cap and Team Iron Man Legendary packs. Each pack gives you a one in ten chance get a cover of the 5-Star Steve Rogers or Iron Man hero. These packs function as Legendary packs so the other heroes you can pull will be 4-Star Heroes. These packs can be purchased with 30 Command Points each.

I hope this doesn't inspire false hope in anyone, that they have better odds at pulling a 5* Steve Rogers or Iron Man. The current rates in the Latest Legends LTs and Classic Legends LTs to pull a 5*, is also 1 in 10, 10%. It is just split up between 3 5*, instead of just 1. The only difference is that if you get the purple flash, you know who it is, instead of waiting to find out which of the 3 5* you've pulled. If you can't wait to cover them, keep buying these tokens at 30 CP, for a 10% chance to pull them, or wait til after the 2nd run, when they're added to the LL LTs for 25 CP, but the 10% gets split between Cap, IM and GG.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Another way to look at it...

300 CP to spend:

@20 CP Legens = 15 draws = 79.5% chance of pulling 5*

@30 CP CW = 10 draws = 65.1% chance of pulling 5*

...This is a marketing tool. The odds of pulling a 5* on a cost basis are significantly reduced.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:

300 CP to spend:

...This is a marketing tool. The odds of pulling a 5* on a cost basis are significantly reduced.
    the big key is getting the 5s at least to the mid-300s and having at least 1 of each color. that requires multiple covers for that character. if you're lucky, that can happen faster with the 30cp tokens, at the expense of all other characters. however, long-term, I think we're better off by sticking to classics. just because I like the characters i'll probably pull my actual tokens before they cycle off the latests. tony has a chance at entering the meta, not sure about steve.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

And this is even assuming the new 5*s are any good. From the descriptions so far IM46 sounds potentially intereting, but cap much less so.)
    As I understand it, the round 8 reward is a specific cover, not a token. I assume the token is the top individual progression reward.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    edited April 2016
    TxMoose wrote:
    jobob wrote:

300 CP to spend:

the big key is getting the 5s at least to the mid-300s and having at least 1 of each color. that requires multiple covers for that character. if you're lucky, that can happen faster with the 30cp tokens, at the expense of all other characters. however, long-term, I think we're better off by sticking to classics. just because I like the characters i'll probably pull my actual tokens before they cycle off the latests. tony has a chance at entering the meta, not sure about steve.

For 600 CP you can pull 30 classic tokens netting on average 1 OML, 1 JG and 1 SS, or 20 IM/Cap tokens granting 2 of that particular character. I think in both scenarios you pull the same quantity of playable 5* characters (since SS is pretty much garbage). But that's 600 CP....for 2 tokens. That's almost $500 in buy clubs.

Really the best bang for your buck is going to be to wait until Cap, IM, and GG are all in the Latest packs for 25 CP.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    mindsuckr wrote:
    30 cp though...

I disagree. That may be because I'm comparing it the the classic LTs instead of the standard (new release) ones, but I can't justify a 50% cost premium to lower the range of characters in the 5* reward tier.

I get the math there, but it's a bit off. Since these are new 5*, they'd be in the latest, so it's a 20% increase (from 25), not a 50% (from 20)
  • Kojubat
    Kojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Really? I feel like Cap's blue would be a nice counter to all the high level OMLs that are running around, I think I would rather have him.

I think perhaps you misread Cap's blue description. It only consumes friendly tiles, and will not do anything with enemy tiles.
  • Kojubat wrote:
    Really? I feel like Cap's blue would be a nice counter to all the high level OMLs that are running around, I think I would rather have him.

I think perhaps you misread Cap's blue description. It only consumes friendly tiles, and will not do anything with enemy tiles.
    You are right, I did - let me edit that.