PVP MMR Prison

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
According to the Google Store, over 5 million people have downloaded MPQ.

Then why am I stuck facing the same 6 or so people whenever I play pvp past 1000? I don't have the interest in using line to do coordinated shield hops to make it past 2000. I just want to get to 1300+ without hitting anyone from my alliance family or needing to double or triple tap anyone outside my alliance family. But that is almost impossible because I have so few options for high-scoring opponents.

I know I'm not alone.

We should be allowed to hit shielded players if there are less than 10 unshielded players available for our current level. They don't need to lose points, but we should have a way to play if we want to play! If we put ourselves on the line by being unshielded, then we should have actual options available! We shouldn't need to pay hundreds or thousands in skip taxes in order to recycle through the same few opponents.

And please don't insult me by pairing me up with opponents that offer less than 30 points. That doesn't make any sense. Why would I beat someone who gives me 6 points, when her retaliation will take away 70 from me??

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    of those 5 million, 4.8 million are probably casual, and not even done with 3* transition, of the remaining 200k, maybe 10k of them ever get past 800 in pvp if that many because thousands more are hardcore PVE and don't touch pvp, now, take all those remaining, split them between 5 slices, and you have maybe 200-300 per slice that go above 1k, and the majority of them shield and hop...

Now, add in MMR.

Sounds right on the money, just check back now and again to find others hopping for better targets, or float and take your chances.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't understand why people who are shielded become invisible anyway?

If the penalty for losing a match is loss of points and being shielded prevents that then why do you need to be invisible as well?

I think just make it so you can see anyone at your mmr level all the time shielded or not. Problem solved.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think just make it so you can see anyone at your mmr level all the time shielded or not. Problem solved.
    Then everybody shields with a CC team, and you have scores approaching 20K each PVP.
    Not a great solution.

And you'll be hit on every hop because people can q you at any time.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    And you'll be hit on every hop because people can q you at any time.
    I disagree here. breaking shield won't matter much because you were just as visible before you broke as after. now, it will be somewhat easier to purposefully snipe someone (queue them while shielded and then monitor shield status), but how much of that goes on?

what I do think will happen is that as soon as your score outpaces the team you fielded, hits will come in. and not stop. if you scratched and clawed with that 3* team to 1250 on a few shields and just need that 1 more match to make 1300? good luck because hits will be constantly rolling in. triple and quadruple taps will become the norm because people will just assume you've shielded. then pvp just becomes rewarding the best rosters and takes out any strategy whatsoever. it is somewhat like that now, but strategy and committing hp to shields can overcome some levels of roster disparity at this point. I don't want that to be removed.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't understand why people who are shielded become invisible anyway?

If the penalty for losing a match is loss of points and being shielded prevents that then why do you need to be invisible as well?

I agree in principle. I think the dev's problem would be how wide open that is for exploitation. Have one person with OML or whatever climb, put in some star.pngstar.png scrubs, clear a level with a whale teamups, shield, and watch as everyone gets progression by killing you over and over.

I mean, tactics like this already exist. They're just limited by the window in which to queue up cupcakes. And I'd be happy to fight 2*s all the way to 1300. The game is already in this odd state of a "tolerable" amount of gaming the system, so they probably don't want to lean into it, making things look even more wacky.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about you can only hit each shielded person once? And if they were shielded when you queued them, then they won't lose points when you attack them?

That would solve the problems.

* Only can hit each shielded person once: You won't be able to ride one cupcake to victory. It will just be one battle.

* Won't lose points if queued when shielded. You can't then snipe them the moment they unshield. You would need to wait for them to unshield and then skip until you find them again. If you queue them when unshielded, and they haven't shielded by the time you defeat them, then they lose the points to you. Otherwise you simply gain points, without them losing any points.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Don't let Bow's hyperbole cause you to discount what he is saying; because it has happened. There were a few examples from many seasons ago where someone would remain magically Qable after they had shielded in an event. It wasn't a long list (often only 1 name in a given event), but it didn't need to be. What did the community do when we would find one of these -

1 - Hit the **** out of that name and generate a lot of points
    2 - Retreat to that person to make their score higher so that when everyone hits them the Q is worth more points
    3 - Tell all your teammates the magic name and have them do the same

The top 10 in an event where one of these players was identified was often several hundred points higher than normal. It was like printing money in those events.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't let Bow's hyperbole cause you to discount what he is saying; because it has happened. There were a few examples from many seasons ago where someone would remain magically Qable after they had shielded in an event. It wasn't a long list (often only 1 name in a given event), but it didn't need to be. What did the community do when we would find one of these -

1 - Hit the **** out of that name and generate a lot of points
    2 - Retreat to that person to make their score higher so that when everyone hits them the Q is worth more points
    3 - Tell all your teammates the magic name and have them do the same

The top 10 in an event where one of these players was identified was often several hundred points higher than normal. It was like printing money in those events.
    I remember a stormneto team being called out that was waaay higher than they should have been. was a loooong time ago now. now it has become much more common lol. that was due to a glitch for 1 team. it all changes with everyone is in the q pool. finding any single target now, once you're above 1200-1300 isn't that hard. finding one when everyone is in the q pool will be a royal pain. you can qqqqq all you want but instead of 20 viable mmr targets in the slice there'll be 200+. although baking will take on a whole new flavor and if enough do it (and why wouldn't we?), will lead to mega point inflation.