Search Functionality/Filters for Roster

Mawtful
Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
Now that we have affiliations, shouldn't we have some way of searching or filtering our roster? I guess this really should go into suggestions since there isn't a subforum for "assumed core features that should have been present on day 1". Anyway, I need to turn this into a discussion, so let's open source a fix for the introduction of affiliations - then we can submit a generally agreed upon suggestion as a group/team bonding/shared experience type thing.

First up, there's the obviously missing affiliations: X-Men, X-Force, Brotherhood.
And the possibly less obvious: Sinister Six, Cabal, Illuminati, Thunderbolts, Great Lakes Avengers

I actually think that we shouldn't use Mutant as an affiliation, otherwise we probably need to bring in other categories such as Inhuman, Asgardian, etc. And since - ultimately - those are genetic, it's really a bit like listing "power source" or "origin source", and we'd start categorising "Science", "Magic", etc. I know that's how Contest of Champions does it, but I don't think it works in MPQ. Instead, I think affiliations should be limited to "Teams" in the greater sense.

Then there's the little problem of characters with multiple variants hopping between teams. Already we're seeing some mix ups - 2* Black Widow is a member of Hero and Team Iron Man even though she was an Iron Man Villain at this point in her history, and there's the Hero/Villain split for 2*/3* Magneto, which I know from the comics but you've got to assume that not everyone has read that story - if they only know him from the movies then that Hero affiliation is a little confusing. I think a better option would be to keep affiliations uniform across variants. It'll still create a few odd mix ups but I think it would be much clearer in terms of how affiliation is tied to gameplay for MPQ - no more having to check if you've picked the right variant (especially Wolverine/ Spider-Man).

That segues nicely to point 3. Listing affiliation at the bottom of the bio has got to be a list minute design decision, right? There's already been a suggestion to put an Icon on the first page and I think that would be great.

What else can we do to fix affiliations?

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be happy just being able to sort by star rating. Affiliations currently have only two points of significance here, both of which are rare in their appearance; Mr. Fantastic's Master of the Fantastic and Ghost Rider's Hellfire.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Star rating would be great - for awhile it was really hard to find my 3*'s, as the 2*'s overtook some and the 4*'s were intermixed and the 3*'s champ level left them all over the place. Now I have most of them together again - still not easy to find.

Alphabetically would be great.

If there was a way to sort them by "most often used" that would be fantastic as well.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Before championing came out I suggested a "favored parings" feature, where you can go into the info screen of each character and select their preferred teammates. So when you select (for example) Scarlet Witch, all the characters you like using her with -- Professor X, GSBW, Hulkbuster, Teen Jean -- slide to the front, regardless their level. Since championing, I've wanted the feature more than ever.

Anything that makes the team selection screen more manageable would be welcome.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Yes! Please, please, please do this.

That is all.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I agree on a filter for rosters. Very kool idea. However, I disagree on the mutants suggestion. That's an obvious classic.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    They won't even give us a +1 level button, I think filtering has a snowball's chance in Hell of happening.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Mawtful wrote:
    ...and there's the Hero/Villain split for 2*/3* Magneto, which I know from the comics but you've got to assume that not everyone has read that story - if they only know him from the movies then that Hero affiliation is a little confusing...

If it was really true to the comic, Classic Magneto would switch between hero and villain every alternating month...
    Great Lakes Avengers

BWAHAHAHAHAHA... wait, you're serious? And they're called the Great Lake Champions now (surprisingly they didn't lose a bet, but won).
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Suddenreal wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Great Lakes Avengers

BWAHAHAHAHAHA... wait, you're serious?

Oh, you better believe that there's is nothing serious about the GLA! Although I bet they'd all have great synergy with Star-Lord.