Magic: The Gathering – Puzzle Quest Card Gallery (4/21/16)

Options
LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited April 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone –

I wanted to provide an update on the Magic: Puzzle Quest Card Gallery currently located here https://d3go.com/mtgpq-card-list-origins/. We are working on getting the Battle for Zendikar cards up now and should hopefully have them up in the gallery in a few days. As we test many of these cards up to the last moment, it’s sometimes difficult to get this list up right when we go live but we are working on improving that for the future. We also still owe a couple of updates to the Origins Card Gallery set as we know some of the information is incorrect and these fixes should happen at the same time as when the Battle for Zendikar card gallery goes out.

Please let us know if there is anything you like to see in the gallery in the future and we will do our best to incorporate it in the future. And of course, cards that you have collected can be found in the game and there are some really great fan created sites too.

Thank you!

Comments

• Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    LakeStone wrote:
    ...and there are some really great fan created sites too

I've heard of these fan sites, I think I just may have to check one of them out icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dreadalus
    Dreadalus Posts: 15
    Options
    That was pretty subtle as far as self-plugs go, and I don't even mind because I only found your site yesterday, and it's nearly unbearably awesome.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LakeStone wrote:
    I wanted to provide an update on the Magic: Puzzle Quest Card Gallery currently located here https://d3go.com/mtgpq-card-list-origins/. We are working on getting the Battle for Zendikar cards up now and should hopefully have them up in the gallery in a few days. As we test many of these cards up to the last moment, it’s sometimes difficult to get this list up right when we go live but we are working on improving that for the future. We also still owe a couple of updates to the Origins Card Gallery set as we know some of the information is incorrect and these fixes should happen at the same time as when the Battle for Zendikar card gallery goes out.

Please let us know if there is anything you like to see in the gallery in the future and we will do our best to incorporate it in the future. And of course, cards that you have collected can be found in the game and there are some really great fan created sites too.
    To be perfectly honest: your development time is much better spent elsewhere. As Meto5000's cheeky response sort of hints, his site is 1000x better and it's already updated.

Certainly, your company can't rely on fan sites - Meto5000 could win the lottery tomorrow and never update his site again - so you are better off in the long run having something in-house that you know can be maintained. But in the short term, his site blows yours away, AND it's updated when yours is not. So please, spend your time squashing more bugs and talking about how to forge cards and getting caught up on all those other important dev tasks (spend more time on the forum?) instead of replicating something that is already much better. Or just pay him for his code and keep it in-house that way. (I'd be willing to bet it's more cost-effective.)
  • Meto5000
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Or just pay him for his code and keep it in-house that way. (I'd be willing to bet it's more cost-effective.)

Honestly, building the Decktester site over the past couple of months has been an incredibly rewarding experience. Even if nobody but me ever used it, I'd still be very happy with how it turned out and how useful I find it. I've learned more in the past two months than I normally do all year at my job. Normally I just take designs and turn them into websites, but I actually got to design all the wireframes, pick out a color scheme and figure out how to make the UI work for all screen sizes pretty much by myself. The only thing I didn't completely do on my own was writing a lot of the database search logic, thankfully I have a friend who is much more familiar with that stuff and he did a terrific job.

One of the downsides is that I've realized that working on projects that I'm passionate about is a lot more gratifying than my current job and has made me consider whether it might be time to find something new where I can work on something I'm excited about. Anyone have any startups? icon_e_smile.gif

Anyways, I don't need anyone from D3Go to pay me, I've already offered to share all off the image work I've done with them for free if they want and to let me know if they need help with anything else. I don't know if they actually have a web dev on staff, they probably have some software devs that dabble a bit or they outsource it since getting a response back from them usually takes a while. If they weren't across the country maybe I'd even apply for a job with them.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    loroku wrote:
    (I'd be willing to bet it's more cost-effective.)
    Anyways, I don't need anyone from D3Go to pay me, I've already offered to share all off the image work I've done with them for free if they want and to let me know if they need help with anything else
    So what you're saying is: VERY cost effective. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Meto5000
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Meto5000 wrote:
    loroku wrote:
    (I'd be willing to bet it's more cost-effective.)
    Anyways, I don't need anyone from D3Go to pay me, I've already offered to share all off the image work I've done with them for free if they want and to let me know if they need help with anything else
    So what you're saying is: VERY cost effective. icon_e_smile.gif

I mean, it'd be nice if they could provide a database or an API call so I could get all the card data without having to enter in manually. That's where the bulk of my time was spent, setting up all the new cards and getting all the data. The screenshotting and cropping of the images only took ~2 hours or so.