Prodigal Sun scaling actually feels good!

Renaldoo
Renaldoo Posts: 114
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I have a max Hulkbuster/IF, and they are completely wrecking face this PVE, with only the occasional heal needed. I think this is the first event where I have actually been happy with the scaling. With max buffed 4-star, all maps start easy, and some of the later ones get a bit challenging by the 7th play. I'm not sure how it's working at the mid-upper tier, but at the top tier, I would honestly be happy if this is how PvE scaling stays forever.

Comments

• I've got to agree with you. I have a bunch of maxed 3*, some unlevelled 5* and 4*. I have had no trouble farming the CP. Helps that the enemies are a little lacklustre. I'd be happy for scaling to stay just as it is. I don't think I wish to go for max progression as it would be a week of my life that I'll never get back.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Too boring for me icon_neutral.gif
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    The problem is not scaling - the problem is time consumtion to be at the top. Now you need to play way more to be at the top 10. Decreased difficulty making it even worse because EVERYONE can bit those nodes easily and top placement will be decided by who can grind 20 points nodes more.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    The scaling isn't too punishing for me, which is good, but sometimes makes the matches feel a bit workmanlike.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'd much rather this experience than the overscaled hell of the last two tests!
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    I agree about the scaling. It will be alot harder because of the time drain if you want to finish at the top though. If this is the way PvE will be from now on then I won't bother trying for the highest rewards anymore.

On a positive note, it will be nice to just play when I want to and just try for the top 50-100 spots and that's OK for me.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    roberts_2 wrote:
    Too boring for me icon_neutral.gif

The scaling is what's making it boring? I'd protest it's the fact to place decently you need to replay the nodes like 10 times each..
    I love the scaling but I'm finding motivation in the new pve format so hard to come by.
  • Renaldoo
    Renaldoo Posts: 114
    If getting high placement has gotten too difficult, I don't think the answer is, make the nodes wayyyyy less fun to play. The answer is rewards shouldn't be so stingy. This is the first PVE in a very, very long time that wasn't sad to play. Granted, I am not concerned with placement this event. But the answer shouldn't be "make the game less fun so there's less competition at the top."

Another possibility is for scaling to ramp up very, very fast past 7 playthroughs.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree, the scaling is on point now. The first 3-4 clears are cake, after that they start to chip away at my roster's health.

The added clears for top placement still blow goats. It's fine for a guy like me that will mostly only play for placement on new releases, but if you're a hardcore PVE type then ewwww.
  • Vomit Fountain
    Vomit Fountain Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    The scaling does seem to be better this time, it's nice to be able to use the better part of my roster again.
    The grind needed just to get the progression rewards is killing it for me though.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think everyone who thinks the scaling is easy now needs to wait for them to run the test on a week when the boosted characters are IW, Elektra, Psylocke, Ock and Spidey, featuring Falcon and Mr F.

Oh wait, Mr F and Falcon are featured in the next, new release(?), non-test(?) event? This is starting to look like a cunning plan...
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    This is starting to look like a cunning plan...

I find it hard to tell if the devs/publishers are really bumbling fools or if they're really Darth Jar Jaring it up and only playing the fool while they enact some nefarious plot.
  • xmedia
    xmedia Posts: 8
    But can we all agree that the points needed for the 25 CP is too much?
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    I agree, the scaling is on point now. The first 3-4 clears are cake, after that they start to chip away at my roster's health.

The added clears for top placement still blow goats. It's fine for a guy like me that will mostly only play for placement on new releases, but if you're a hardcore PVE type then ewwww.

Think about it... never mind the added number of clears. At the sub-end grind for a new release, instead of grinding 3 hard nodes, 3 essentials and 3 easy nodes, we'll be grinding 9 hard nodes for placement. Really??? Who thought that would be a fun challenge???
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there is still room for the scaling to be reduced, at least on the first three nodes as they should still fill the role of the trivial nodes when we have worse boosted characters.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The scaling feels good right now but look who's buffed. Imagine trying to do this with turd hulk starlord vision tiny cap and Mr fantastic. With all your better characters counting against you in the scaling but not buffed. Don't go getting too exited. This test is slanted and perhaps intentionally so. If we say it's great now and next time they run we complain they can say they gave us what we wanted.
  • Krongle
    Krongle Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Just chiming in to say that I too really enjoy the scaling of this event. Together with the more goon-focused nodes of these first subs I've been having *gasp* FUN!? icon_e_surprised.gif

That said there are still improvements to be done. To be in the top 10 of a given node I need to clear each node at least 6 times, which equates to 51 node plays. It hasn't been a problem with this PVE, because I actually enjoy Prodigal Son quite a bit. If it were, say EotS I'd probably have a different opinion.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, scaling is fine now. Sure, the easiest nodes start at 41 for me instead of the old 15, but in exchange the hardest nodes start at 130 instead of 220. I'll take that.

Now if they reduced the amount of times you can play a node without losing points, or changed the reward scheme, it would be great.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I am enjoying the scaling on this also. It feels good. I will note that this particularly event is chock full of easy goon nodes and 2* fights that the AI does not play very well, so the scaling is kind of even easier than normal. If we kept the scaling at this level on an event with symbiote goons or hand ninjas or wave nodes, it'd be a bit of a different story (although probably not too much of one; the scaling is still much more fun than it has basically ever been before I think).
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, scaling still sucks donkey balls.

My easy nodes started at 100 and are up to 175 after 7 clears while the hards and essentials are at 312 and 290.

Whoever came up with the idea that nodes should get harder after beating them should ask themselves if it's a game they would want to play themselves.

Sure, making the initial clear easy is awesome for the 95% of the player base who do one clear of PVE, maybe not even that.

For the dedicated player base, the guys who stuck with the game for 900 days, it's still the same old - punishment for progress.

It's game design from hell and I hate it.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    While the scaling is definitely better than the previous tests, I can't motivate myself to get green check-marks anymore. Why fight crazy hard battles for 70 iso8.png or Crit boosts.

Now if you told me if that getting green check-marks through all the subs would get me the 3 4* covers? That would be a totally different story. Toss in an alliance progression bar too for more rewards and you would have a kick **** format.

I wouldn't mind more iso8.png too but not holding my breath for any of this.