Using CP on 3* covers

Partyof5
Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm still building up my 3* roster. I liked the idea of getting 4* covers by cashing in CP, but I ended up with a 5* SS that I ended up selling because it messed up the difficulty in PvP and PvE. I noticed that you can buy 3* covers for 20 CP. Would that be a better use of them for me at this point?

I'm hesitant because I know eventually those covers will show up in DDQ and I still like the idea of getting a head start on some 4* covers. I figure those will be a harder climb since there is not guaranteed daily reward for 4*s.

Comments

• xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    CP are still pretty rare. Don't use them on 3 star.png covers. Most people would say not to use them on 4 star.png covers either. You should be able to get all the 3 star.png covers you need via the Deadpool Daily Quest, and more from hitting progression and placement in PVP and PVE. Just be patient, it will take time. Marathon, not a sprint etc. etc.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wrong move Bro. Keep the CP untill you can roster 5* without a problem (i would say that if you have 8-10 3* maxed you should be fine with 5* as long as you don't level them).
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    I was in a similar situation not thay long ago myself just like the one your in. Until I leveled up my good 3* to max levels. Once I did thay I was able to sheild hop and be able to hit max progression in pvp. I was doing the 3* transition into 4* land and I had made the mistake of selling off my 5* because I was afraid it would effect my scaling in pvp and make it harder for me. But then I put one on and it didn't make much of a difference at all. The cp is much needed for 4* transition to help get more of them faster. In the past 2 seasons I have been able to hit max progression in each pvp and on top of that I've been able to dramatically increase my 4* roster. 3* covers will come via ddq. Yes it takes time to build them up but as long as you have 1 cover your laughing cause that's about 3700+ iso for it. The real shortage once you build up your 4* is iso. It takes roughly 400k iso to go from a lvl 70 4* to lvl 270 then 12.5k to champ them. Save the cp for your 4*/5* transition.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I've been giving the same advice to people since it cost HP to buy covers, which is that buying specific covers is almost always not a good idea. They are over-expensive and saving up your HP, and now CP, for something else is always better. Especially after the 3-star tier nerf, getting 3-star covers are pretty much pointless now and you are better off saving them to get 4-star covers.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do not buy covers (of any tier) with CP, it's a waste considering how much it costs and how much you can get out of the game. Just stockpile it until you're ready to move on to 4*/5*
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    I am not anywhere near being a vet in this game. (I am on day 122 and just almost to get my first 2 3* champed.) I just want to share my experience. I ended up spending like 100 CP to buy SWitch covers, 40 CP for She Hulk, and 20 CP for 3* Cap. I don't think I made a bad move back then. It is more like greasing the wheel. After I spent that 100 CP on SWitch, the main differences I notice right away is that I can get more 3* cover than what I usually get before from the PvE placement rewards. I can grind the PvE nodes for progression easier and I get the 20CP rewards more consistently. (I feeling this spending is already paid for itself.) I am even ranked a bit better in PvP, not that gives me any better rewards yet anyway.
  • Starsaber
    Starsaber Posts: 206
    I have a couple times, but usually for a reason that made them still result in a Legendary token. If I was one cover short for a 3* but had a cover that was at 5 getting ready to expire, I used CP to buy another cover, then championed them and used the other cover I had to get a Legendary token.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Bizarrely, players constantly blowing every cp in sight on tokens—and complaining about the results!—drastically overvalue cp.

I've been quite curious about this since I started reading here regularly for the past couple of months. Threads where people talk about blowing a significant amount of CP on tokens trying to get a specific cover 3* or 4* - specifically not talking about people using CP trying to get a 5* - when they could have straight up bought the cover and likely saved CP. Do people just forget that they can purchase what they want?
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Smart man. It is absolutely worth using CP to buy a key final cover or two to get a top tier 3 in a position to champion.

It will do your roster, and therefore your game, far more good than what it likely to pop out of a 20cp token ... a random 4* cover for a **** tier 4*, which will either rot on your roster or be sold for a whopping 1000 iso.

Bizarrely, players constantly blowing every cp in sight on tokens—and complaining about the results!—drastically overvalue cp.

My advice is to absolutely save your CP until you have no worries about roster space (read: have slots, lots and lots of slots...) and are ready to start building out 4s. In the meantime, absolutely use those accumulated CP to make very occasional strategic purchases to keep the roster rolling along.

Echoing this. I started banking CP after I pulled my 6th Bobby green, in the hopes of making it to 120 before buying the last blue cover I needed. Managed it just in time and kept stockpiling after that in case of similar situations. Then I had the same thing happen with Jean, except I needed two covers. Just barely managed that one as well. Haven't regretted either decision, as having both of those characters fully covered and champ'd is far more helpful to my roster than pulling more SL purples or XFW greens.

For indisputably top-tier 4* characters (HB, JG, Bobby, Rulk, Cyke) I think it's completely worthwhile to bank CP if you only have 1 or 2 covers to go. My strategy moving forward is to try and keep a stash of at least 120, and pull tokens only after that.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Starsaber wrote:
    I have a couple times, but usually for a reason that made them still result in a Legendary token. If I was one cover short for a 3* but had a cover that was at 5 getting ready to expire, I used CP to buy another cover, then championed them and used the other cover I had to get a Legendary token.

Smart man. It is absolutely worth using CP to buy a key final cover or two to get a top tier 3 in a position to champion.

It will do your roster, and therefore your game, far more good than what it likely to pop out of a 20cp token ... a random 4* cover for a **** tier 4*, which will either rot on your roster or be sold for a whopping 1000 iso.

My advice is to absolutely save your CP until you have no worries about roster space (read: have slots, lots and lots of slots...) and are ready to start building out 4s. In the meantime, absolutely use those accumulated CP to make very occasional strategic purchases to keep the roster rolling along.

I agree that you should use CPs strategically for key characters. For example, if you have 3 pinks in Jean Grey, it may be worthwhile to blow 120 cps for that fourth pink cover since that will allow JG to clear out countdown tiles, which in turn maximize her utility in pve. On the other hand, if you only have one cover in pink, then you may be better off waiting for more pinks before buying one.
  • Partyof5
    Thanks for the advice. For now I'll try and bank CP until I get to the point of making the decision about buying a final cover so I can champion a 3*. It's going to be hard not to spend the CP on a token, but I understand that getting a new 4* I won't use for months (or years) may not be the best idea right now. I definitely won't be using it for 3* covers until I'm ready to champion that character.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe I should start saving up 1500 CP so I can buy two purple covers for my 5/1/5 Phoenix...
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    Maybe I should start saving up 1500 CP so I can buy two purple covers for my 5/1/5 Phoenix...

Check back in in 2017 and let us know how that is going... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used 40 CP to get the last two black I needed to cover-max Panther. Those infernal black covers were my white whale. They absolutely would not drop from anywhere for me, the only two I ever earned were through DDQ. I don't regret the use of those CP. I still need ~50K ISO to take him to 166 and then finally re-spec him to 5/3/5, but that's just a matter of time.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

Check back in in 2017 and let us know how that is going... icon_e_biggrin.gif
    100 CP a week is not unreasonable. I can be done sometime in August.
  • Partyof5
    I found a special case where I ended up spending the 20cp on a 43* cover.

I had Deadpool at 2/5/5. I pulled a 6th purple cover. I didn't want to waste by having to sell it off, so I decided this was one scenario where buying a specific cover was worth it. I bought a 3rd Red for 20cp, championed Deadpool and used the cover to level him up. This way I didn't have to waste a cover.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    100 CP a week is not unreasonable. I can be done sometime in August.

I've been averaging 13cp/day, while only hitting 1300 in PVP only twice a season. So 20cp/day average is possible. 36 days per 5* cover. 72 days to finish your Phoenix.

Ready? GO!!!

Heh.

More seriously, doesn't take as long as people think, if you aren't spending on anything else.

Someday....when most all your 4s are maxchamped, buying covers directly will be the way to continue progress.

As it is I'm only hitting 1300 in PVP a few times a season, but I almost always make the 25 Cp progression in PVE.

I can't see earning 100 CP weekly all the time though. I probably average between 50 - 70. Depending on what champion covers I get, etc...

I was being flippant about 2017 just meaning it will take a long time for 1 or 2 covers.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I have purchased 3star covers for characters five or six times. Always for characters with 12 covers and a maxed color cover about to run out of time in the queue. You basically recover your CP that way, by getting a Latest legendary pack for 20 CP, the price of a Classic (plus one cover you couldn't use otherwise and the ISO needed for the last levels.)