Scaling Changes Made PvP Almost Unplayable

Wargim
Wargim Posts: 12
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm in the transition from 2* to 3* and got a diverse roster. Meaning almost all 3* stars but with very few covers on them. Also like most other people I don't have iso to level anyone of them to a decent level or covers to max them out, and I should save iso to level one I want to play at max level ?
I have two maxed out 3* Daredevil and Thor(166), but most are level 6-80. I regret Daredevil (most likely he increases difficulity).

Before the scaling patch I could reach 3-500 by using 20-30 medpacks (waiting for them to regenerate). After the patch PvP is almost dead after doing the 3 initial nodes.
Every enemy I meet has a full maxed out team or two very high levels with a 5*. So after every fight I end up to have to use 2-3 medpacks (2 if I use the essential character that you get for free). Skiping does not give any better result either. Anyone else feels like this is the new problem in PvP, keep away until you have 3-5 maxed out characters on your current transition ?

On a general note I have noticed MPQ does not support a underleveled diverse roster. You end using your 3-4 best characters all the time because anything else is suicide...
From a person that likes to experiment with hero combination this is kinda boring. Until they land on something in PvE, the only playable mode for me is DDQ...

Sorry for the rant, just checking if there are more in the same boat as me.

Comments

• alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    So overlevelling a couple of characters vs the rest of your roster is a major mistake.

To say the game doesn't support underleveled rosters though is hugely wrong - underleveled rosters are the go to strategy for pve - you don't have an underleveled roster by the sounds of it you have a mishmash.

If you are being matched with 5*s you must have 5*s in your roster the way the new MMR works which you failed to mention - painful advice - sell and 5*s you have and even consider selling your maxed characters if they are 80 levels ahead of the rest of your roster and go through transition properly - good group of 2*s to 94, good group of 3*s (fully covered) to 120 and then take a bunch of 3*s up to 140 and then 166 before starting on your 4*s - its attractive to try to skip transition but rapidly makes the game unplayable as you are finding.

There is a short cut - but it involved you throwing money at the game.
  • Wargim
    What I understood about the new scaling patch for pvp is that they was trieng to match the people with underleveled heroes, like having 3* with full covers but stopping at 120 so they got favorable matches against 2 star teams. So the scaling patch should look at how many covers you have as well as level...

My roster:
    4 4* stars with 1-3 covers.
    2 166 3* stars, one 3* on 140 (Hulk which is not so fun with Thor), 3 3* around 100-120 and the rest is 60-80ish (with 3-7 covers). I miss only 3 3*.
    I also have 7 2* where 4 is 130, two around 120 and one at 100.

PvP:
    The three first matches is always easy and have always been easy.
    But the big change is afterwards, where I know get matched against people at around 180+ (championed) on all 3 characters. When there is a 5* it usually have 1-3 covers. But they hit like a truck since they're 100+ levels above my best ones. Even playing skiparo does not help much.

Before their scaling patch I could go to 300+ before even getting into that problem (and it felt ok to stop there because after that pvp would just burn so many healthpacks). And the rewards was ok compared to the time spent, 1 2* and a token (1-3hrs play).

So if I want to try different teams I have to play DDQ or wait until I have played more than 1000 days more (which is the time it will take to get all the iso to level all my 3* to 166) by playing only DDQ (which takes between 25-45min to complete depending on luck in BigE).

I'll wait to see how PvE turns out and see if it can be played in one go instead of 2-3 per day to get that 3* cover.

It makes me a little sad to have so many interesting characters in my roster and not be able to play them...
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I'm sorry to hear that the change is causing issues for you. As someone with several single cover 5* characters on my roster the change was a huge improvement for me. I used to get wrecked right after the seed teams but now I can find fair matches all the way up to around 600. After that I can still find playable matches but I get attacked non stop by strong 4* teams and can't get farther in score without shield hopping.

What is your transition strategy? Do you have max championed 2*'s or did you get rid of them all and just roster 3*'s?
  • Wargim
    Hello Haywire,

It's good that you got a better time, and as a developer myself I can understand it's hard to make an MMR algorithm that matches you against equal level and skills. And maybe it's easier for most people except a few of us that kinda get caught in the middle (which likes to collect and try different stuff).

I still use my 2* characters and they're all championed, which is a cool feature (got 7 of them, 4 on level 130). Championing came out just after I've started my 3* transition.

As a developer I would've liked all my character played and used in many different team compositions, but this game kinda drives you two use your three best characters for a long time until you get a 4th. Then you can chose between 4 and work on the 5th. Some will be lucky and get a good team composition early while others are not and must use "worse" heroes and play with the same team until they can get the covers and iso. Or you can exercise great patience and level your roster evenly, even the new heroes you get. So maybe it was "stupid"/"wrong" by me trieng to collect them all because I think everyone hero have their own niche and can be part of a decent team.

By all means MPQ has become much better than it was at release. Played it 2-3 months before I gave up the grind. Those days you had community scaling and what not. The 3* transition was awful long to, since there were few of those characters. I think I quit just after Sam Wilson as Falcon came out. DDQ is a godsend for 3* transition, and 4* transition because of championing.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Wargim wrote:
    What I understood about the new scaling patch for pvp is that they was trieng to match the people with underleveled heroes, like having 3* with full covers but stopping at 120 so they got favorable matches against 2 star teams. So the scaling patch should look at how many covers you have as well as level...

My roster:
    4 4* stars with 1-3 covers.
    2 166 3* stars, one 3* on 140 (Hulk which is not so fun with Thor), 3 3* around 100-120 and the rest is 60-80ish (with 3-7 covers). I miss only 3 3*.
    I also have 7 2* where 4 is 130, two around 120 and one at 100.

I understood the exact opposite. If you have a bunch of 3*'s that could be at 166 and aren't, you are going to be matched with people who also have similar number of covers (ie. champ'd 3*'s). You don't say how many covers you have for the 3*'s around 100-120 - but it sounds like it is working as expected (given my understanding). The point is to level your characters as you get them, keeping a top team around the same level as you go.
  • Wargim
    Of the 3 that is between 100-120, two can be pushed to 127 and one to 117. Of the other 3* that are lower one can be pushed to 127 and two 117. The rest is pushed as far as they can. I try to push every character when I can and have iso to do it, even more so if they are an essential character in an event.

So I guess I'm playing the way it is intended. Maybe it's also intended that I need to use 2-3 medpacks after every match...
    I guess I'm not used to losing in pvp because before scaling I could play skiparo until I got someone with equal level/roster, now I have to play against people 10-100 level higher characters than me(difference per character).

I guess I'll wait 120 days till I have covers for my next 3* to become 166 before I try PvP again... icon_e_biggrin.gif