BY FAR the best written PvE, of all time!

TLCstormz
TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Kudos to whoever does all of the writing. I literally laughed out loud several times, throughout this event.

Thanks for all of the quips during Webbed Wonder!!!

Comments

• MikeG72
    MikeG72 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Yes, I also found it quite amusing from the dialogue to the summaries before any fights. I'd like more like these.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    If we could get more content like this instead of the "Oh, yippee. New 4* character" content we get these days, we would get far fewer eye rolls and a lot more enjoyment from the sounds of things. Clearly, people enjoyed the fresh content, and it actually even made slugging it out with brutal opponent combinations have an element of fun... at least imho.
  • spiderpool
    spiderpool Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Well now that makes me sad that I skipped through all the dialogue like usual, because every time I do read it I find it wasn't worth the time reading it.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    I kept accidentally just automatically skipping over a lot of it too and ended up missing quite a bit the first one or two times I played through...

I enjoyed it too, but I think it comes with a trade-off.
    When you get funny quipy joke characters you get fun and jokey dialog, you get serious characters you get serious boring dialog. Everybody seems to hate joke characters but they do seem to make the events more fun (provided they actually get events). I know they've been going on about 'Limited time character, once the event is over he's gone!' and all, but I really hope they run this event more times in the future...
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I think what I liked most about it was it was one of the few stories where you play as the bad guy.

Yeah, you heard me. Spiderman was the bad guy.

Look at what happened. HAMMER was having a company picnic. No hijinks, no coups, no mayhem. Just a good old fashioned corporate get-together that went down the tubes when Spiderman crashed the party.

Then he interrupts the Maggia, who aren't doin' their usual thuggin' love. No no, they are performing a PLAY. With an AUDIENCE. Their FAMILY MEMBERS are there. And because Spiderman showed up, the entire cast "broke a leg".

Finally, he breaks into Doc Ock's home, to find that he had cooked up an intimate dinner for himself and Aunt May, and the two of them were just reminiscing (although Otto obviously wanted to reignite the old flame).

May had every right to scold Spiderman. Peter may as well have been named Norville "Shaggy" Rogers, cuz that kid was MEDDLING. XD
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    I made sure to read this entire PvE, and it was worth it. It is definitely the funniest PvE. I like the standard format of non-repeat main nodes and a set of 10 sub nodes. I think the player should be able to access the story of a completed locked node though.

I hope when this gets repeated, there will always be a Howard in the last node but color rotated.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I think what I liked most about it was it was one of the few stories where you play as the bad guy.

Yeah, you heard me. Spiderman was the bad guy.

Look at what happened. HAMMER was having a company picnic. No hijinks, no coups, no mayhem. Just a good old fashioned corporate get-together that went down the tubes when Spiderman crashed the party.

Then he interrupts the Maggia, who aren't doin' their usual thuggin' love. No no, they are performing a PLAY. With an AUDIENCE. Their FAMILY MEMBERS are there. And because Spiderman showed up, the entire cast "broke a leg".

Finally, he breaks into Doc Ock's home, to find that he had cooked up an intimate dinner for himself and Aunt May, and the two of them were just reminiscing (although Otto obviously wanted to reignite the old flame).

May had every right to scold Spiderman. Peter may as well have been named Norville "Shaggy" Rogers, cuz that kid was MEDDLING. XD

True, Spidey was c-blocking like a villain in this one. Finally found one to pass up the Deadpool PvE as the best written.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope when this gets repeated, there will always be a Howard in the last node but color rotated.

LOL, good one.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    wish we had a transcript. didn't really start paying attn. until the 3rd sub. usually just on autopilot skipping past the dialogue.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I made sure to read them all, except for the cutscene dialogue on the node that opens up the third day on the main screen. Non-repeatable. Drat!
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll need someone to confirm as I was notably drunk when I (believe I) read this and can no longer find the source, but didn't Chip Zdarsky write all of the dialogue for the event? If you liked it, then I imagine you'd all like the 'Howard the Duck' comic he helms. Which I believe was the point. Marketing!
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Kudos to whoever does all of the writing. I literally laughed out loud several times, throughout this event.

I'm pretty sure you liking something is a sign of the apocalypse. I'll have to consult the ancient scrolls to be sure though.

And yes, excellent job on this one. Much better than past efforts. Does anyone screenshot all of the dialog to save the story? If so I'd love to get my hands on them.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:
    I'll need someone to confirm as I was notably drunk when I (believe I) read this and can no longer find the source, but didn't Chip Zdarsky write all of the dialogue for the event? If you liked it, then I imagine you'd all like the 'Howard the Duck' comic he helms. Which I believe was the point. Marketing!

It's kinda poor marketting if they've never mentioned any of this in-game.

They really should have. "Like this event? Read more about it with Howard the Duck, available now! Click this link for a list of retailers that stock this quacktastic series!"
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    mega ghost wrote:

They really should have. "Like this event? Read more about it with Howard the Duck, available now! Click this link for a list of retailers that stock this quacktastic series!"
    yeah, that's a really good point. now that you mention it, it's a bit strange that they don't to more soft (or hard) marketing of comics in-game.

PS Devs, i'll take my commission for this fine, money-generating idea in CP kthxbye
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost wrote:

Agreed 100%. Or better yet, link to the series page on Marvel's site or digital comics app. Track your clicks and conversions so you have some idea of how successful a promotion like this is, and should the extra effort see success, then we all get to benefit from it going forwards.

I'm pretty sure on iOS you're not allowed to take people out of the app to sell things on another platform, but if it linked to Marvel's iOS app, perhaps?

At the very least I'm really surprised that this app doesn't occasionally offer rewards that are codes for free / discounted digital comics, and that said digital comics don't occasionally offer codes promoting content on this app. "Bought Howard the Duck #1? Use code WAUGHHH to get a free Howard the Duck cover in MPQ!"
  • mega ghost
    Since Marvel doesn't own this game and since I doubt they see it as a significant revenue stream, any push for that sort of cross-promotion probably needs to come from D3, with all of the legwork done on their end. And I have no idea how big their staff is. For all I know they may have one marketing guy, who also does all of their social, etc.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    The writing really shone in this event. "Most of these people have hated me for years" had me in stitches. Good job!
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    TLCstormz wrote:

I'm pretty sure you liking something is a sign of the apocalypse. I'll have to consult the ancient scrolls to be sure though.

And this makes you a good moderator / internet professional / person in WHAT WAY, exactly?

And, I have ALWAYS given credit, whenever credit was due. I'm sorry if you and your "co-workers" are unhappy with me and the many hundreds ( if not thousands ) of players of this game who see faults within it, and choose to speak up about them.

Y'all will be alright, though!!! :+D
  • patrice789
    patrice789 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    The writer of the dialogue is Alex Irvine, who has written for other games like MAA and has written for Marvel himself (fun fact: Also wrote two Transformer books & the New Tom Clancy's The Division tie-in book).
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    TLCstormz wrote:

Agreed. WW pve's dialogue was really fun and, more importantly, the kind of small talk that these characters would have. Luv the Aunt May twist in sub 3. icon_mrgreen.gif