CPU usage on PCs

fnedude
fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2016 in MPQ Bugs and Technical Issues
So I've been playing MPQ on my PC w/ iTunes running in the background with Bluetooth headphones.

For the last week I've noticed that my songs slow down periodically for some unknown reason. At first I thought it was junky Bluetooth headphones, but today I started up task manager to watch my CPU usage while I play the game.

So my system goes to 100% CPU usage when I end a battle and it's changing screens. It wasn't like this a week ago (or further back).

My PC is a 2.9GHz CPU w/ an on-board graphics card (okay, okay, I don't have a $1K gaming rig). So I guess the computing power is being sucked up by the graphics switch from going from a battle to the rewards screen. I also have 4GB of memory on my machine (which should be enough to run iTunes, MPQ, Excel, Steam, and IE, well McAfee AV also).

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    iTunes has always been a drain on my processor, even when nothing else was running.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a decent Core i7 and GTX 960. The game always seems to peg a core to 100% for me as well.
    So rest assured; it's not poor hardware on your end, it's poor programming on the developer's end.
  • fnedude
    So more CPU/Memory watch usage....

My CPU's usage stays around 30% while I'm running the game, memory @ 2.3GB used.

But when I switch from the game to reward screen (or going into a battle) the CPU spikes up to 100%, memoray usage stays at 2.3GB used.

Yes I have an on-board GPU, so I expect the CPU to go up because it's changing graphics. But this is a pretty simple game (no hard-core graphics like a AAA Halo-ish game), I wouldn't think that's the cause.

I bet it's a go-to subroutine that's stuck in an infinite loop. icon_lol.gif
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have also experienced very large memory usage on my computer while running this game, with nothing else running in the background (except Steam, I guess). Transitions to character screens are also quite slow.
  • fnedude
    This seemed to have been resolved on the last update for the PC.

Say Thank You to your programmers!!
  • fnedude
    I hate to bring this up, but this bug has been brought back to life w/ R109....

At least on Steam/PC version