*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've started to situationally move to DP or Daken with my XForce, but my primary pairing is still XForce/Thor

For one, he's my lone 166, so he has that going for him. The 10.2k hit points are nice to slow the attacks down from anything that isn't Xor. While I understand the arguments for a stronger red in this case, I absolutely prefer the 3/5/5 build even with XForce. There are enough times where you cascade and/or surgical enough green to have an option, and there are also enough times where CotS is the better choice than XForce + waiting for 2 more green.

The one reason I don't see mentioned is the defensive aspect. When you do have XForce/Thor together, the AI will guess between XForce and CotS. If you **** the green, you're giving the AI an inferior option to choose from, whereas the 3/5/5 at least has two strong greens to choose from.

Overall, like Ben basically said, unless you're specifically using the character in a specific role and only that role, it makes little sense to be sub-optimal. I think Thor is way too powerful to be used in such a niche fashion.
  • JessyC01 wrote:
    @ Locked and Phaserhawk:

About running LT and XF together, you're correct that there are better choices. But the reason why I mention them together is because I'm mainly referring to a situation where lazythor is essential - the main bulk of my playtime (re: the only time I ever pull out lazythor) happens to be in his featured PVP (and sometimes in PVE), where he has to be on your team. In that instance, I like using LT / XF / Hood. Surgical Strike will steal red, generate yellows, and once I get Thunder Strike the game will be near finished. (Then again, I suppose every PVP team is now Featured/your choice of 4*/Hood.)

Also, I agree there are better uses of red (my favorite is now Deadpool's), but better uses of yellow? I still think lazythor's Thunder Strike is still amazing, since it quite reliably cascades a significant chunk of the board and gives you good openings to either make a match-5 or follow up with any green power. I think that's way better than some protection tiles.

But if I had complete autonomy over my team selection (eg. the SHIELD sim) of course I wouldn't run XF and lazythor together. My A-team would be Thoress/XF/Hood. Only problem for me is I don't have a 270 Thoress yet icon_e_confused.gif

The thing is, optimizing a hero for his featured PvP once every 3 months is pretty.... marginal. 5 red is probably better than 5 green in that case, but it happens so infrequently, and 3 red isn't that much worse that it doesn't make sense to do that. On the other hand, 5 green is going to make a huge deal on the one heroic every 3 months that features him, so again, it makes far more sense to optimize him for that. IMO, this is the only decision tree that makes sense:
    1. Do you have XF? If not, 3/5/5.
    2. Do you have XF and use LazyThor as XF's pairing in a MAJORITY of PvPs? 5/5/3
    3. Do you have XF and ONLY use LazyThor in his featured PvP / PvE? 3/5/5, because optimizing for heroics is more important than optimizing for featured PvP.

I think any other decision is a misalignment of priorities.
    Do you use LT hidden behind patch to climb, and always use his red right after Berserker Rage? 5/5/3
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    ark123 wrote:
    Do you use LT hidden behind patch to climb, and always use his red right after Berserker Rage? 5/5/3
    So, a flat 750 damage increase against scrub teams... is it really worth the two covers to potentially **** him in heroics? <---- NP's argument
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    ark123 wrote:
    How do you keep LT hidden behind Patch, when he's so much ... bulkier? icon_e_smile.gif Seriously though, if they are the same level wouldn't Patch tank only green?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kolence wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    How do you keep LT hidden behind Patch, when he's so much ... bulkier? icon_e_smile.gif Seriously though, if they are the same level wouldn't Patch tank only green?

You are correct, unless your Thor is underleved or Patch is buffed Thor will tank red and yellow. If you really want to hide Thor, I think Captain Marvel is your better option as she will tank red and yellow for him as well as generate red, otherwise go Rocket/Groot and they will tank yellow/green but currently without buffs, no one character can completely tank Thor as he is only R/Y/G character.
  • Kolence wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

Yep, but my LT isn't the same level. I stopped around 130.

And no, he doesn't have more health than Patch. Very few characters do.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    May I ask, with how many covery does he become playable?

I might manage to get 2 of his red covers, which would make him 2/2/5...

Worth lvling or...?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    nihilium wrote:
    May I ask, with how many covery does he become playable?

I might manage to get 2 of his red covers, which would make him 2/2/5...

Worth lvling or...?
    You're close at least. 10 covers is a good baseline, and you have his best color maxed already. Additionally, it looks like he's coming out of the Vault, so you should have plenty of chances to get more covers. Any ISO you put in will not go to waste, though he might need a little help at first.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    1) Thor does have significantly more health than Patch. Yes, Patch regenerates so he can drag out a match better than Hulk, but people that know their turf oneshot Patch, and 6800 health is quite less than 10200 in that case.

2) Green is not Thor's best cover, yellow is. I wouldn't use Thor without at least 4 yellow covers, he would be able to at least charge green for GSBW or Ares if not for himself. I guess you can run him with green feeders then: GSBW again, Ragnarok, Hulk.
  • locked wrote:
    1) Thor does have significantly more health than Patch. Yes, Patch regenerates so he can drag out a match better than Hulk, but people that know their turf oneshot Patch, and 6800 health is quite less than 10200 in that case.

2) Green is not Thor's best cover, yellow is. I wouldn't use Thor without at least 4 yellow covers, he would be able to at least charge green for GSBW or Ares.

Oh I don't consider lthor viable in pvp. I use him to climb, but lets be serious, we're at a point in pvp where nothing is going to get you defensive wins past 700 points that's not a 4*, regardless of how much health the character has. That's why we don't see dinos around anymore. So I'm keeping my lthor at a level that makes him hide behind Patch, since I don't have a viable Ldaken (and patch has a superior health regen than ldaken anyway)
  • Phaserhawk
    ark123 wrote:
    locked wrote:

2) Green is not Thor's best cover, yellow is. I wouldn't use Thor without at least 4 yellow covers, he would be able to at least charge green for GSBW or Ares.

Oh I don't consider lthor viable in pvp. I use him to climb, but lets be serious, we're at a point in pvp where nothing is going to get you defensive wins past 700 points that's not a 4*, regardless of how much health the character has. That's why we don't see dinos around anymore. So I'm keeping my lthor at a level that makes him hide behind Patch, since I don't have a viable Ldaken (and patch has a superior health regen than ldaken anyway)

If you don't have 4hor, I think 3* Thor is still viable in PvP. Remember if X-Force steals red which is likely with 4hor, then 3*Thor can use it to create more yellow and you can use yellow to generate green for X-Force. However and much opposite to my statement that 3/5/5 is the best build. If you ran Thor 5/5/3 and used him as a green battery he would be useable in high end PvP, given you would be shielding alot, but he could feed X-Force and give you an outlet for red as well as a better outlet in for yellow in Thor.

Remember Defensive wins happen for primarily 2 reasons. 1. Player tried to get one more win before using health packs and lost. 2. AI got some decent cascades and took them down.

The only plus to having 4hor and X-Force defensively is that it keeps the lower level players from hitting you as they generally aren't going to want to tackle that.

Never count on defensive wins as long as player goes first and there are boosts.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    If you don't have 4hor, I think 3* Thor is still viable in PvP. Remember if X-Force steals red which is likely with 4hor, then 3*Thor can use it to create more yellow and you can use yellow to generate green for X-Force. However and much opposite to my statement that 3/5/5 is the best build. If you ran Thor 5/5/3 and used him as a green battery he would be useable in high end PvP, given you would be shielding alot, but he could feed X-Force and give you an outlet for red as well as a better outlet in for yellow in Thor.

And that is EXACTLY the situation I was considering switching him to 5/5/3 for. I would switch without thinking if 5 red generated more yellow than 3, but since there is only a damage bump, and not that much of one, I've decided to stick with 3/5/5.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've been having the same thought; my LThor was 5/4/4 before the Hunt, and bumping yellow to 5 was obvious, but I was conflicted about CTS because it just isn't going to be used often when L5 X-Force is an option. But in the end, at level 5 red still doesn't do enough damage for that to tip the scales; regardless of the number of covers it's still going to be used mainly to get yellow on the board, and I'll keep using LCap for when the enemy's strongest color is red.
  • Phaserhawk
    Sometimes an enemy 4hor can be an assest especially when running C.Mags or LCap or even your own 4hor. If they are going to use powersurge, just put your non Mags/Cap/4hor character out to get stunned and use all the accelerated AP to take them down.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Sometimes an enemy 4hor can be an assest especially when running C.Mags or LCap or even your own 4hor. If they are going to use powersurge, just put your non Mags/Cap/4hor character out to get stunned and use all the accelerated AP to take them down.
    Wrong thread? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Just noticed that his stars (rating) are pulsating. Any reason why?
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because he is a "gold" character instead of a "rare" character. This means he's an exact duplicate of a lower rarity character with suped up stats and numbers rather than his own unique model. Other examples include Captain America (Steve Rogers) and Storm (Mohawk).
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    don't forget daken. Torch doesn't count 'cause he's a 3* that got turned into a 2*
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Uhh...Right. I wasn't saying those were the only ones, I was just providing examples.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    don't forget daken. Torch doesn't count 'cause he's a 3* that got turned into a 2*

So Classic Torch was here first? I was wondering why he wasn't a gold character...