pvp versus pve team construction musings

Options
Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
As every vet knows, the toughest pve nodes are typically overleveled villain + 2 goons feeding ap for key powers (hood + 2x muscle, carnage + 2x mutations). There are a few exceptions like the first run of galactus, but in general the worst nodes have a villain with a hard-hitting active power and goons feeding the necessary ap so the player can't deny it. And because the vaillain is overleveled, they have tons of health and can't be dropped before they get some powers off.

By contrast, the toughest pvp challenges are different in design, because they must be drawn from player rosters. So no goons and no overleveling. The favorite teams usually have some mix of self-acceleration, ai-proof powers (i.e. few contingencies or placed tiles), or "order of operation" powers like Thing/Xpool/Phoenix etc that require the player to attack less dangerous characters first.

Would that still be the case of players could use any character in the game for defensive teams?

As a thought experiment, what would your ideal pvp defensive team look like?

Stipulations:
1) level limits are in place, without championing. So 4*s are 270, etc but any character in the game is available. All goons, gorgon, etc.

2) assume 5*s would all be capped at 300 regardless of covers (without this sort of restriction they just break the game in their current state and the best team would always include oml)

3) goons and ai-only characters are capped at 270.

4) no weekly boosts, just to simplify the comparison

5) specify if its a 2 + feature team and a full 3 character team.

For me, I would be tempted by the venom dogs. Cheap special tiles and heavy damage when they are matched away. But I am not sure what red/green users to pair with them.

So for a 3 character team maybe something like:
Venom dog @ 270 + gorgon @ 270 + Thing? Thing prevents targeting the venom dog and uses the green ap. Gorgon uses the free red ap, generates more special tiles with his black, and stuns with purple. But this team doesn't have a blue, so maybe I could do better? Maybe just hand ninja x2 + galactus and rush black asap?

For a 2+ feature I think kishu + oml seems like the obvious pairing.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    first reaction is something like kishu/OML/carnage. I'd have to think about that one to take it on.